Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
Really struggling to work out where he plays for us, personally think that Batchelor makes way for Yarran (even if he is a bit stiff), so Broad will be third in line. Maybe he's the big bodied midfielder we're after? Just looking at his weight dimensions he's very light so no way he can take on Chappy's role, will be interesting to see if he can find his niche.

Dimma mentioned in the HUN article today he could play down back or on a wing?
Yarran replace Newy so Batch/Broad for the other spot?

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Jonesracing82 said:
Dimma mentioned in the HUN article today he could play down back or on a wing?
Yarran replace Newy so Batch/Broad for the other spot?

Was thinking Lennon replaces Newy in a similar set-up to the elimination final. Maybe he plays on a wing, spent some time there in the WAFL but found heaps more success down back. One thing is he can play small and did a nice blanket job on Shane Yarran so maybe he's our new and improved Morris Minor, just have to wait and see I guess.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yarran replaces Hunt, bully, so this bloke has a crack at Batch's spot. Also back-up for Grimes and maybe even K-Mac and Brando.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
bullus_hit said:
Really struggling to work out where he plays for us, personally think that Batchelor makes way for Yarran (even if he is a bit stiff), so Broad will be third in line. Maybe he's the big bodied midfielder we're after? Just looking at his weight dimensions he's very light so no way he can take on Chappy's role, will be interesting to see if he can find his niche.

Broady looks like a grigg Deledio Mcintosh (and possibly grimes ) type player.
Chappy Astbury Rance Elton and maybe griffo get the goal kicking gorillas

Reactions: 1 user

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
leon said:
You wouldn't want to take Grimes out of our defence - a key plank. Have heaps of mids and just picked up Moore and Townsend for that.
Grimes is a backman; one of our best!

Was just keeping the running gag alive...

Glad someone got it :)

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
We know nothing about Broad and appear to be hoping he cracks the game in the same manner as Lambert did last season albeit in a different position. I will be interested how he goes pre-season

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
spook said:
Yarran replaces Hunt, bully, so this bloke has a crack at Batch's spot. Also back-up for Grimes and maybe even K-Mac and Brando.

Agree that Yarran replaces Hunt.
I dont think Broad replaces Batchelor in the role they play. Batchelor played as a key defender last year, i dont think Broad is a KPD.
from the sounds, Broad could play the role Grimes has played in the last couple of years, playing predominantly on small or medium forwards, occasionally filling in playing on a tall.
if Broad is good enough, he could allow Grimes play as the 3rd tall, while Broad fills the versatile role that Grimes has played.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Brodders17 said:
Agree that Yarran replaces Hunt.
I dont think Broad replaces Batchelor in the role they play. Batchelor played as a key defender last year, i dont think Broad is a KPD.
from the sounds, Broad could play the role Grimes has played in the last couple of years, playing predominantly on small or medium forwards, occasionally filling in playing on a tall.
if Broad is good enough, he could allow Grimes play as the 3rd tall, while Broad fills the versatile role that Grimes has played.

Thats a fair assessment I reckon. If the elimination final showed us one thing that we can change easily enough is Batchelor is good enough on weaker players but put him on a key forward (when teams play 3) who has even the slightest bit of pace and he gets smashed. It comes back to the flexibility issue we have. It was clear that Batchelor was struggling on Waite and obvious to move Grimes, but then we also saw Batchelor play on Betts earlier in the season after Grimes went off injured and he was destroyed by him. Small forwards are too small and clever for him. Batchelor is very inflexible , can only play on one type of player so would certainly be an area that we look to upgrade on.

I reckon Broad and maybe even Callum Moore from the rookie draft could come in and play a similar role or go on the small forward given time. Castagna also shows potential of being able to go onto the small forwards and then releasing Grimes to the 3rd tall.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
spook said:

Yarran has already been quoted as saying he is looking forward to playing off the back flank so either Houli or Vlossy will be shifting to another position.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
CC TIGER said:
Smokey for round 1
e

I'm sponsoring him next season, so hope he makes it sooner rather than later

Comes from Wubin, about 250 kms north of Perth , used to drive through it on the long haul Newman to Perth to MCG & return, that's why we decided to sponsor him
So much easier now, 20 min stroll !!!

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
taztiger4 said:
e

I'm sponsoring him next season, so hope he makes it sooner rather than later

Comes from Wubin, about 250 kms north of Perth , used to drive through it on the long haul Newman to Perth to MCG & return, that's why we decided to sponsor him
So much easier now, 20 min stroll !!!
Good to hear........is that near the infamous number plate servo?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
yandb said:
Yarran has already been quoted as saying he is looking forward to playing off the back flank so either Houli or Vlossy will be shifting to another position.
No, Yarran takes Hunt's spot.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
CC TIGER said:
Good to hear........is that near the infamous number plate servo?

Na, number plate was at Eneabba, Wubin is a couple hundred kms East on a different road

You have a good memory !

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Like the look of Broad today in defence. Was often matched against Jack and didn't look at all out of his depth defensivey. He is very strong at the footy and strong in the air. Not super great on his non preferred but we might see a bit of him this season methinks.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Tigers of Old said:
Like the look of Broad today in defence. Was often matched against Jack and didn't look at all out of his depth defensivey. He is very strong at the footy and strong in the air. Not super great on his non preferred but we might see a bit of him this season methinks.

Sounds like a viable alternative to Batch. Excellent!