Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I still have nasty memories of Batch being carved up by Waite, bring this kid in for round one. Lovely height to play tall & short, good overhead and has a bit of dash.

Platinum member

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 30, 2015
Reservoir
Jonesracing82 said:
diff league i know but his WAFL stats are supperior to Batch at AFL level in most catagories
Batch's stats in the WAFL would also be superior to batch's stats in the AFL... Only thing is batch has been too good to play wafl in 2015.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Platinum member said:
Batch's stats in the WAFL would also be superior to batch's stats in the AFL... Only thing is batch has been too good to play wafl in 2015.
those stats would be handy, would be able to compare them both at WAFL level

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
From the little that we've seen, could he take the 3rd tall? Something that Batchelor has never been able to do effectively. Would Broad have shut down Waite better than Batch in the EF last year? If he can do that then Batchelor's days are numbered.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
CarnTheTiges said:
From the little that we've seen, could he take the 3rd tall? Something that Batchelor has never been able to do effectively. Would Broad have shut down Waite better than Batch in the EF last year? If he can do that then Batchelor's days are numbered.

i would like to see Batch replaced as the 3rd tall, perhaps by a Broad/Grimes combo.
but for most of the year Batch played on talls, as he has done for the last couple of years, and did his job. it is not correct to say he has never played that role effectively.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Brodders17 said:
i would like to see Batch replaced as the 3rd tall, perhaps by a Broad/Grimes combo.
but for most of the year Batch played on talls, as he has done for the last couple of years, and did his job. it is not correct to say he has never played that role effectively.
Batch was good in 2015 but he is probably the most vulnerable. Where Grimes has it over him is that he has the pace and is good enough on the ground to take smalls and talls and therefore offers us great flexibility. Batch is a very good intercept mark however.

choices and depth, good thing

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Sintiger said:
Batch was good in 2015 but he is probably the most vulnerable. Where Grimes has it over him is that he has the pace and is good enough on the ground to take smalls and talls and therefore offers us great flexibility. Batch is a very good intercept mark however.

Yep I agree. If Broad is the better option he will quicken up our team. A fast player for a plodder.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Sintiger said:

agree. i would prefer Grimes as the 3rd tall, but I also prefer Grimes in a role where he can play tall or short, as he did last year.

so to bring it back to Broad, if he can play a similar role to Grimes, playing either tall or short depending on match-ups Batchelor may find himself without a position.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
year of the tiger said:
I reckon Astbury is first in the queue to come into defence before Broad

Not sure I would play Rance, Chaplin and Astbury together. it might be ok, but it might be a little top heavy.

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
Horses for courses.

Waite is a bugger of a third tall to have to play on - he was a pain when he was Carlton's No. 1 fwd. Astbury if fit and agile on Waite when playing North with Broad/Batch in the 2s for a week is a scenario I could certainly live with.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Sintiger said:

Agree that Batchelor is the most vulnerable. The problem is his inflexibility. The stuff he can do, he can do very well, but the problem is when he comes up against more than a relatively immobile medium sized forward. If they are either too tall, small and therefore quick or a tall with a bit of pace on the lead (think Waite) then he generally loses the battle. He has to be one of those towards the bottom of our best 22 and is therefore very vulnerable to others coming in, whether thats Grimes going on the 3rd tall and someone like Yarran or Hunt picks up the smalls, or maybe Broad who could give us some real flexibility in our defense having Grimes and Broad able to play on smalls and talls.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
year of the tiger said:
I reckon Astbury is first in the queue to come into defence before Broad
The only way Astbury comes in is as a replacement for Rance or Chaplin imo. He is not a like for like replacement for Batchelor

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
It depends on the opponent sinner.

A fit *smile* added to rance and chappy(if he was capable of playing man on man) agin nths side show boob, Peetree n waite a minute he has slaughtered us again! makes sense.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
ninjahaha said:
It depends on the opponent sinner.

A fit *smile* added to rance and chappy(if he was capable of playing man on man) agin nths side show boob, Peetree n waite a minute he has slaughtered us again! makes sense.

I disagree. Waite didn't smash Batchelor because of his height, it was due to the speed on the lead. Batchelor didn't have the speed or the footy nous to realise where he was leading to until he was gone. A quicker or smarter player (either Grimes if we can find someone else for the smalls, or Broad) would probably counter thaat. I'm not sure Astbury would have been any better on Waite personally. Grimes was the matchup but we couldn't move him as Batchelor would have been destroyed by their smalls too.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
mrposhman said:
I disagree. Waite didn't smash Batchelor because of his height, it was due to the speed on the lead. Batchelor didn't have the speed or the footy nous to realise where he was leading to until he was gone. A quicker or smarter player (either Grimes if we can find someone else for the smalls, or Broad) would probably counter thaat. I'm not sure Astbury would have been any better on Waite personally. Grimes was the matchup but we couldn't move him as Batchelor would have been destroyed by their smalls too.
Nup, disagree. Need a proper tall on Waite. Chappy should have switched on to him. Batch could have handled Sideshow Ben.