Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Geez! Never been a fan of Waite, just an old Carlscum thingy that hangs in the back of the mind. But, there's not many defenders can go with Waite when he's got the skates on and plenty of openings in his forward line to run into.
He's big, fast, athletic n a bloody good mark. Got a touch of the on field *smile* head about him too. Uninjured n in form he's a bloody handy player n with Tross n Chappy playing on the main key forwards for Norf he was bound to get off the leash with Norf's mid field dominance. Reckon even Tross would have struggled the way Norf were putting the ball into space out front of Waite.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
spook said:
Nup, disagree. Need a proper tall on Waite. Chappy should have switched on to him. Batch could have handled Sideshow Ben.
Grimes also could have played on Waite, 1 cm shorter and can match him athletically but he was earmaked for medium forwards

Having Rance, Chaplin and Astbury in the same backline is a problem for me. I think it restricts our run too much.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Jonesracing82 said:
diff spots, Ast to replace Chappy, Broad - Batch

I agree with the proviso that these two really can step up to AFL grade truly. Still unknown - Broad from WAFL and Astbury due to impact of injuries since his VG run of games in, was it 2014?
Chaplin is unduly criticised here, although clangers like after the goal gifted Rioli are really hard to forgive/forget, but played many strong games last year and is the BL general. Rance will have to assume that role more, but expect to still see much of Chaplin down back.
Batchelor is outclassed by anyone taller/faster or highly-skilled SF with speed too (almost the definition of SF). Therefore has a limited role; think Broad may offer more but unproven yet.

[Some context to that Rioli goal. Yes it was an atrocious mistake from any player, but think Chaplin was trying to find or make another option than just kick it back down the line, to the pack gathering on the defensive wing. We were losing due to this predictable tactic as Norf playing for it just nullifying the contests or causing a turnover. However, there was no-one offering anything for him to go to! It was shocking but overall inflexible, dumb game-plan was being destroyed. The team had to try other tactics or the game was gone. Chaplin's choice of time and situation was a disaster too.]

Apologies, on Broad post, I know. Really liked him from initial vids, but long way to go yet.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Sintiger said:
Grimes also could have played on Waite, 1 cm shorter and can match him athletically but he was earmaked for medium forwards

Having Rance, Chaplin and Astbury in the same backline is a problem for me. I think it restricts our run too much.

I agree on both points. For me the Waite matchup was Grimes but unfortunately Batchelor is too inflexible to play on small forwards (we saw that earlier in the year against Adelaide when Grimes went down injured) but think Grimes should be being groomed for that 3rd tall / medium forward defensive role. He has enough pace and run to burn them off when running the ball out of defense so could work as an offensive weapon for us too. Thats also something that Bathelor can do. If we were to line up with Rance, Chaplin, Grimes and either Yarran / Hunt or Broad for the smalls then I think we will have a more flexible backline. Hopefully Broad can do a similar role to Batchelor but have more weapons in his arsenal (ie. a bit quicker, a bit smarter).

Batchelor was actually the reason I really didn't want to play North or Adelaide in the finals as their 3rd tall on either side (whether that was Waite or Lynch), I wasn't confident that Batchelor could handle either.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
leon said:
I agree with the proviso that these two really can step up to AFL grade truly. Still unknown - Broad from WAFL and Astbury due to impact of injuries since his VG run of games in, was it 2014?
Chapman is unduly criticised here, although clangers like after the goal gifted Rioli are really hard to forgive/forget, but played many strong games last year and is the BL general. Rance will have to assume that role more, but expect to still see much of Chapman down back.
Batchelor is outclassed by anyone taller/faster or highly-skilled SF with speed too (almost the definition of SF). Therefore has a limited role; think Broad may offer more but unproven yet.

[Some context to that Rioli goal. Yes it was an atrocious mistake from any player, but think Chapman was trying to find or make another option than just kick it back down the line, to the pack gathering on the defensive wing. We were losing due to this predictable tactic as Norf playing for it just nullifying the contests or causing a turnover. However, there was no-one offering anything for him to go to! It was shocking but overall inflexible, dumb game-plan was being destroyed. The team had to try other tactics or the game was gone. Chapman's choice of time and situation was a disaster too.]

Apologies, on Broad post, I know. Really liked him from initial vids, but long way to go yet.
Didn't Chapman retire at the end of last year? Three flags at the cats n some fill in time at essendrugs kind of finished him off. Didn't think he was moonlighting at Tigerland.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Grimes could have played on Waite but had his hands full with Higgins (and did a good job).

chislop

I AM a llama!
Nov 11, 2003
DirtyDogTiger said:
I'm not going to knife Dimma, but selections and match ups hurt our game (the final v north)

Did Dimma ever attempt, after the act, to justify the selections for that game?

billyb#40

Tiger Superstar
Sep 19, 2004
mrposhman said:
I agree on both points. For me the Waite matchup was Grimes but unfortunately Batchelor is too inflexible to play on small forwards (we saw that earlier in the year against Adelaide when Grimes went down injured) but think Grimes should be being groomed for that 3rd tall / medium forward defensive role. He has enough pace and run to burn them off when running the ball out of defense so could work as an offensive weapon for us too. Thats also something that Bathelor can do. If we were to line up with Rance, Chaplin, Grimes and either Yarran / Hunt or Broad for the smalls then I think we will have a more flexible backline. Hopefully Broad can do a similar role to Batchelor but have more weapons in his arsenal (ie. a bit quicker, a bit smarter).

Batchelor was actually the reason I really didn't want to play North or Adelaide in the finals as their 3rd tall on either side (whether that was Waite or Lynch), I wasn't confident that Batchelor could handle either.
Remember 2015 v Sydney, Rohan was unstoppable with great pace v Hunt for first half, Batchelor was moved onto Rohan, at the break, shut him down, Tigers win!

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Dimma changed the game plan at half time to a more attacking style, the change of player on Rohan was incidental

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
TigerMasochist said:
Didn't Chapman retire at the end of last year? Three flags at the cats n some fill in time at essendrugs kind of finished him off. Didn't think he was moonlighting at Tigerland.

OK, CHAPLIN. My bad. Hope you can cope. Two chaps with a common syllable, each is a man though!

Anyway, have since amended. Happy?

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
leon said:
OK, CHAPLIN. My bad. Hope you can cope. Two chaps with a common syllable, each is a man though!

Anyway, have since amended. Happy?
almost, it was Nahas who scored the goal in question not Rioli ;)

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yes, Nahas!!
Probably the shock was so great that my brain has tried to just block it out. And the Riolis have been the subject of so much good news that it was easy to substitute.
Nahas' goal was acutely painful; may have caused PTSD.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
His highlights from the intra club are up on the RFC site. Not overly impressive. Don't think he hit a target.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
BrisTiger24 said:
His highlights from the intra club are up on the RFC site. Not overly impressive. Don't think he hit a target.

Defensively he's fine Brissie but I do think his disposal especially on his non preferred looks wobbly. That could be badly exposed at AFL level. Have to see..