Welcome to the Tigers Oleg Markov | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Oleg Markov

The best part is the Tigers seem to have established a pretty good trading relationship with the Suns which is a very handy thing to have.

Reactions: 5 users
Good luck to the kid, it’s a great move for him. No sweat for us. Half back flankers are a dime a dozen. The mind boggles that Carlton pay $900,000 for theres.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Glad to see Oleg off to Suns instead of LoL Norf. With old team mate Bellis already there & Rory Atkins joining as well ,Suns appear to be on the right track to field a decent side next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't think he's leaving for first team opportunity - reckon he'd be a regular if he stayed. Perhaps he got an offer he couldn't refuse and we couldn't match.

So what? Very unlikely to be a player as good, especially in this year's draft with next to no perceived form to go on. Markov has been in our system for some years, we have developed him and he is ready to go, can slot right in whether HBF, wing or FL. He brings a heap of pace and some flair; qualities that are important given the way some of the opposition teams are recruiting. Ross and Higgins (if stays) lack for pace.

Why should we trade away a guy like this for some near-unknown youngster who may be a bust or take 3 years before he's right to go? (See even a much higher pick and very promising player like RCD). In the meantime, Houli will be done.
Because he is uncontracted and has a better offer as well as guaranteed game time. Can your employer stop you from accepting a job that pays more when he cants. Also we have Kamdyn McIntosh who is now becoming a great midfielder as well as offering defensive support

Lets hope they dont poach him next year

We cant continue losing quality and getting nothing in return.
Especially now that we have burnt another first rounder on Higgins.
This will hurt us when Edwards, Jack, Cotchin, Grimes have all gone.
Club needs to be more ruthless in trading these guys.
Hopefully now they will take our players at a higher price with the seasons Lyold and Bulter have produced.
At the moment we are 4 first rounders down Ellis x2, Lennon and now Higgins.
We received a Trash return in losing Ellis to GC.
This needs to improve before we are left with nothing.
I agree

Players like Higgins should not be able to dictate where they go whilst still contracted.
We have invested a 1st rounder and 3 years of development into them and should get fair compensation as a return.

Sydney played it well with Papley and we should do the same, Higgins has player 43 out of a possible 61 home away games and should be grateful

Reactions: 1 users
I feared this would happen.

He was looking really good in his games this year and had definitely taken the next step.

GC are going to be a force with the squad they are gathering but as we've seen with GWS, it is not the be all and end all to winning premierships.

Maybe we should have a whisper to Jordan Clark?

Last edited:
I think we have to look at this differently. He is 24 with less than 30 games to his name. And as decent as he was for some of the games he played he was still dropped come the business end of the season. He isn't going to wait another yr in VFL waiting for Houli to retire, anything can happen in that time. I don't blame him for going to suns and trying to cement a spot there and play seniors. He is not guaranteed that for us. I wish him nothing but good luck and hope he smashes for them. But is depth here only.

Reactions: 10 users
I don't begrudge his reasons for leaving but I hate that we have developed him for someone else.

We are now walking the line between watering the ageing willow or planting the seeds for the future.

Markov today, Higgins tomorrow... all of a sudden we are left with a bunch of carcasses and top ups like Hawthorn.

This Markov loss might not be significant but its just a pattern I don't like.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't begrudge his reasons for leaving but I hate that we have developed him for someone else.

We are now walking the line between watering the ageing willow or planting the seeds for the future.

Markov today, Higgins tomorrow... all of a sudden we are left with a bunch of carcasses and top ups like Hawthorn.

This Markov loss might not be significant but its just a pattern I don't like.
I didn't want to lose him either, but I'll trust our list managers in, they've done a pretty good job so far!

No disrespect to either of these guys, but if we're only losing players in that 20-30 range on our list I think we're doing pretty well. Half back flankers and small mids are pretty easy to replace these days, and we already have plenty of mids waiting to get in.

We could well be a very good chance of fielding the premiership 22 again next season. Don't think it's been done before

We’ve got a 22 team of players with 2 or 3 premiership medals assuming Houli gets contracted.
add soldo and Balta with single flags.

those guys will play the Vast majority of our games.

markov is a stop gap and his place (not necessarily his position) will be covered easily by Stack Aarts Ross Eggs (if he’s kept) or one of the recent draftees.

a pick better than 50 will be A nice Return

I didn't want to lose him either, but I'll trust our list managers in, they've done a pretty good job so far!

No disrespect to either of these guys, but if we're only losing players in that 20-30 range on our list I think we're doing pretty well. Half back flankers and small mids are pretty easy to replace these days, and we already have plenty of mids waiting to get in.

We could well be a very good chance of fielding the premiership 22 again next season. Don't think it's been done before
Releasing/trading out some players in the 20-30 range each year provides the opportunity to get new talent in the door that might go on to become future top 10 players. Who would have thought Short, Lambert and Baker would become top 10 in the B&F when we took them as rookies?

This approach also helps balance the books and free up cap space. With elite talent that needs to be paid, you can’t have too many players in the 20-30 range that are on decent coin and showing only marginal improvement each year.

Best of Luck Oleg!

Releasing/trading out some players in the 20-30 range each year provides the opportunity to get new talent in the door that might go on to become future top 10 players. Who would have thought Short, Lambert and Baker would become top 10 in the B&F when we took them as rookies?

This approach also helps balance the books and free up cap space. With elite talent that needs to be paid, you can’t have too many players in the 20-30 range that are on decent coin and showing only marginal improvement each year.

Best of Luck Oleg!
Soldo will be out for nearly all 2021, if Nank is injured we are at risk for a ruck as I do not see Chol handling it on his own. Not sure what will happen with CCJ. I would look seriously at a swap Markov/Wright with the Gold Coast. Risk reward is higher than a 3rd round draft pick. a two year contract sufficient.

Soldo will be out for nearly all 2021, if Nank is injured we are at risk for a ruck as I do not see Chol handling it on his own. Not sure what will happen with CCJ. I would look seriously at a swap Markov/Wright with the Gold Coast. Risk reward is higher than a 3rd round draft pick. a two year contract sufficient.
Wright is pretty much an out and out dud. Gold Coast prefer to ruck Witts one out

Has to be pick 33 maybe 56 going there, no way pick 71 I will be filthy at the club it alright to help players out , but let's not get burned.Would you do our pick 19 for 24 and 33.
I would.

I think we have to look at this differently. He is 24 with less than 30 games to his name. And as decent as he was for some of the games he played he was still dropped come the business end of the season. He isn't going to wait another yr in VFL waiting for Houli to retire, anything can happen in that time. I don't blame him for going to suns and trying to cement a spot there and play seniors. He is not guaranteed that for us. I wish him nothing but good luck and hope he smashes for them. But is depth here only.
Exactly. Cant understand the angst.
I like Markov and would rather he stay but he has come off a career best year in which he played less the half the games and was dropped, even though we played 8 defenders in the finals.
The Suns have offered him a 2 year deal, not exactly long term, which doesnt suggest they are completely confident, and we are not choosing Naish or anyone else over him. He is choosing to leave.

His best position appears to be as a defender. he is currently behind a PSD pick, and 2 rookie picks, none of who started as defenders, and at least 2 of whom were called soft until coming runner up in the Norm Smith. I dont think the club will be 2 worried about how they replace him.

I hope we get something useful for him, but i dont have high hopes.

Reactions: 2 users

If we rate Wright, that is a good trade all round.