Welcome to the Tigers Oleg Markov | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Oleg Markov

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I really don't think we will get a lot for him. An upgrade of 2nds for 2021 is what I think we might get.
Doubt we will get that Posh.
A third maybe??
Still really disappointed he didn’t back himself in.
Did he have a contract on the table from us???

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Doubt we will get that Posh.
A third.
Still really disappointed he didn’t back himself in.
Did he have a contract on the table from us???

My guess is due to list size reductions we probably told him he would need to wait to see how many list spots we have. He's gone and found a guaranteed contract and I'm comfortable with that. A 3rd next year or an upgrade of next years picks, probably doesn't make much difference to use really but I'd be happy with either.

Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
My guess is due to list size reductions we probably told him he would need to wait to see how many list spots we have. He's gone and found a guaranteed contract and I'm comfortable with that. A 3rd next year or an upgrade of next years picks, probably doesn't make much difference to use really but I'd be happy with either.
In our dealings we are not Carlton or Essendon or other clubs.
We look after the player first.

True.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I like Oleg and sorry to see him go but I reckon after 2 or 3 years at the Suns he,ll be done as an AFL footballer. Just feel like I’ve seen it so many times, the fringe player who can’t crack it for a regular game at the top club, goes to a bottom club where it’s assumed he,ll become a very good AFL footballer but doesn’t succeed.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Lets see if Gold Coast really want Oleg, or just if they just want him if they can get him for nothing, that is the test.

Oleg should be worth about 350 k per year given his abilities so that should mean he is worth about pick 30.

2mt. Peter didn't play a game this season and is on 500k per season and would still get an early second rounder.

( doesn't want to ruck only play forward)

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Lets see if Gold Coast really want Oleg, or just if they just want him if they can get him for nothing, that is the test.

Oleg should be worth about 350 k per year given his abilities so that should mean he is worth about pick 30.

2mt. Peter didn't play a game this season and is on 500k per season and would still get an early second rounder.

( doesn't want to ruck only play forward)
I think Pick 30 is dreaming. He's played 23 games in 6 seasons for an average of 12.7 disposals (11.2 in his last 3 years). Frankly I think it's lucky there's interest, undoubtedly being at the premier side helps his chances.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I think it’s fair all round.

Markov isn‘t best 25.

What made me laugh was the AFL site reckons he is worth a Suns round 3 pick but when I looked they don’t have a round 3 pick.

I reckon the club looked and decided to keep Broad over Markov as it appears at least one would get to the Gold Coast - correct call IMO if it fell that way as our defence has looked stronger with Broad in rather than Markov.
What you're not factoring in is that Oleg is about 3 years younger than Broady. He also has had much less experience because of the quality and depth of our defenders. Markov hadsn't even reached that marker of 50 games. He can improve a fair bit quite possibly and has express pace, reasonably good hands and kick. He definitely showed he is hard enough at the top level this year. But Houli is getting on and is showing the classic signs of a body struggling to continue at the top level - calf/hamstring problems.

I agree with keeping Broad, but not necessarily that Stack, Naish or Egg are definitely better retainers. Would have loved to see Turner kept for development too.
Stack - big "ifs"! Has he really got the maturity and dedication/discipline to succeed at elite AFL level ongoing? Not evident so far.
Naish or Egg - have some skill, speed and both quality kicking but not the express pace of Oleg. But are they big/hard/tough enough yet? When will they be?
I have my doubts.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Fast roadrunner who quickly turned into a rabbit in the spotlights when the pressure dial went up.
No sidestep, no peripheral awareness, no sideways movement.

But boy he could be electric this year blasting straight up the guts.
Its a shame, I,ll miss him and wish him all the best.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
2MP also has a contract (2 years I think). They won’t let him go cheap. They don’t have to. I doubt we’ll really get that much for Oleg. If he was getting a more regular gig maybe, but he’s not and that’s a large part of why he’s going elsewhere.
From the stuff I've read n heard, 2 metre got the big fat juicy contract ( something like 5 years at around 550 to 600 a year ) a few years back n then promptly disappeared from view n rarely been sighted since. If that's anywhere near correct you would think Mould Coast would be happy to do a swap n pay out some of his contract just to get him off the list.
When they lost the Lynch man to us, it should have been the ideal time for 2 metre to step up n allow King to develop as the second or third forward for a year or two. Didn't happen n they've got a spare key forward/ ruck chewing up a fair few shekels playing Magoos footy.

We're more than helpful allowing our fringe players to get a better career shot elsewhere while we continue to develop each years young up n comers, seems crazy for a club to be paying good money to ruin a players chances of restarting his career when they don't even seem to want him.
Perhaps Mould Coast are waiting to see if Colonwood manage to convince Trelol that his future is at Mould Coast n then they can slip 2 metre into the deal as Colonwood need a key forward who could also offer some ruck support to Grundypants.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
They haven't played 2 metre in the seniors for two years, at least Lego has been playing some senior footy for the back to back premiers so perhaps we'd be entitled to a little top up sweetener coming back from Mould Coast.

Seems like 2MP is on the outer,with Dew, so maybe they'll think about letting him go so that he can get a game somewhere else. That's what we're doing for Oleg.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I like Oleg and sorry to see him go but I reckon after 2 or 3 years at the Suns he,ll be done as an AFL footballer. Just feel like I’ve seen it so many times, the fringe player who can’t crack it for a regular game at the top club, goes to a bottom club where it’s assumed he,ll become a very good AFL footballer but doesn’t succeed.
so true. Mere mortals are made better by the stars around them . When I played inn higher grade basketball as a fill in felt like I was champ. Back at my own level I played like the hack I was.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
In our dealings we are not Carlton or Essendon or other clubs.
We look after the player first.

True.
Yep the new mantra.

If we cant get them where they need or want to be we help get them to where that may be able to happen.

Polar Opposite of the Drugs and the Blues.

Last edited:

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Shane Morrison ......................yep we used to do that.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Fast roadrunner who quickly turned into a rabbit in the spotlights when the pressure dial went up.
No sidestep, no peripheral awareness, no sideways movement.

But boy he could be electric this year blasting straight up the guts.
Its a shame, I,ll miss him and wish him all the best.
TD where do you get no sideways movement, Oleg came in the top 10 at the draft camp in the agility test.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
TD where do you get no sideways movement, Oleg came in the top 10 at the draft camp in the agility test.
Just my obs in watching on tele.
Its not just agility, but the ability to do it during a game when surrounded.
of course i might be wrong.
Hope he makes it.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
people selling Markov short on here. had many injury issues throughout the years. he was emergency and last player dropped in our 2017 and 2020 flags.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Played more games in first season than any of his next 4. He may have improved but the team and everyone else has improved more.

Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
If Markov (or Higgins) is the best player we lose from our premiership list, we are doing well, really well.

Reactions: 6 users