Welcome to the Tigers Oleg Markov | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Oleg Markov

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
He played some pretty decent footy for us in 2020 when we had a lot of injuries and that is probably what got him a contract at the suns. He played quite well for the suns in 2021 as well.
Almost a decent AFL player and I suspect that he is a casualty of their salary cap and the fact he is out of contract
Stats wise he played some decent footy this year too. i would guess you are right about the salary cap, and his lack of contract. I would guess too the fact he is 26, and the Suns are a couple of years away from contention, combined with the fact he plays as a rebounding hbf- the easiest position on the ground for someone who can run- makes him easily replaceable.

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
GC

in Tom Berry, VFL, Ben Long, VFL
out Bowes VFL, Corbett VFL, Oleg VFL

Interesting trading strategy. Personally I'd take any 2 of their 3 outs over their ins.

Reactions: 4 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
GC

in Tom Berry, VFL, Ben Long, VFL
out Bowes VFL, Corbett VFL, Oleg VFL

Interesting trading strategy. Personally I'd take any 2 of their 3 outs over their ins.
Yep. Has to be salary cap related, although Long would be on something half decent to make it worthwhile to get him to uproot and go interstate.

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Definitely not salary cap related, you don't just not end up with enough money for someone you want to keep and you don't get left until now if they want to keep you.

The only other possibility is Gold Coast made him an offer and he declined it to seek another opportunity. Again, won't be the case because he wouldn't get a better offer and his name wasn't floated during trade week at any stage.
lt's a flat out wasn't wanted by the club, or he no longer wants to play AFL.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Wouldn't mind if we got Oleg back someway.
Nah. Fringe at best for us n a disposable if fairly regular player in a mediocre team. Had his crack n didn't quite achieve a consistent place at AFL level, why keep recycling a known commodity hoping it will somehow emerge improved. Would rather try n find someone with similar abilities but with untested scope for improvement from a lesser league.

Reactions: 3 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Definitely not salary cap related, you don't just not end up with enough money for someone you want to keep and you don't get left until now if they want to keep you.

The only other possibility is Gold Coast made him an offer and he declined it to seek another opportunity. Again, won't be the case because he wouldn't get a better offer and his name wasn't floated during trade week at any stage.
lt's a flat out wasn't wanted by the club, or he no longer wants to play AFL.
He has lost interest in playing AFL . It’s not the bees all and ends all for Leggy . Lifestyle he enjoys up here . He isn’t fazed one way or the other . He will stay up here on the Goldie . He may end up with the Southport Sharks in the VFL or even go to the QAFL with Towner at Broadbeach

Reactions: 2 users