Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Because there was oodles of high quality forwards
available at our selection.
No one wanted to trade for our pick, as they knew it would slide several places backwards.
Why pay first round value (what we'd be looking for) for something that will end up early to mid second round.
We've just won three premierships in four years. Back the club in to manage their list, or do you think we've just had a bit of dumb luck?
I take it your first point is ironic, but I only referred to one draftee that I just think might become a handy player. Nothing more to go on than my instincts, a hunch, and don't mind his brother as a player. That's because I love and rate strong marking players. I'm not repeating myself on why again. But maybe it's because I still remember the great marking players from earlier eras, like Hart and many others. I simply believe a 3rd medium-tall marking player would be a real addition in our FL. Anyone can disagree. Re Oliver Henry - he may prove a dud like many top picks. It' just my hunch; a player I would have been willing to risk investing in. How did our previous pick 17 go - a fruitful LT investment?

It might be worth noting how far back the Scum came from to move up to 2 first-rounders. Sure, salary cap issues, had to dump name players. Not saying we should have done that. Simply that, deals can be done if you see a worthy kid. Many pundits actually thought we were looking to do just that - trade up. Then there's my related point about how great was the value we have obtained in our trades, as many have argued about on other threads e.g. got no more for Higgo than that pick, after 3 years of input at a 2-flag club.

Of course I'm rapt about our 3-flag success. The club have done fantastically well. The RFC is brilliant but I would love to see us frank this period further if possible. Great 67/69 and 73/74 flag periods but I can still remember post 1980 too, where we looked ready have a dominant period but fizzled out. I'm looking forward to this season now. What, are you barracking for the Tigers to come 2nd, 4th, 8th ... ? Complacency or over-confidence can be the downfall of great sides. Hopefully we might avoid it.

Re our FL. Damn right we beat all contenders in 2020, but old JR8 still won the goal-kicking. Dusty makes the difference. But we miss one key mid like Cotch/Prestia/Edwards/Bolton, then Martin might have to spend more time there. Luckily all were available again for both GFs. I could go into a lot more stats on our FL but, too much already.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I just hope RCD gets a few opportunities in the firsts during the season.

He has always looked to have talent but we just haven't been able to fit him in the team and the real test is games for 4 points.

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'd like to see two-mums get a run of 4 or 5 games in the firsts. He needs to make it.

• Haha

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Forward line weakness?
Lynch, Riewoldt and Martin playing 60% there.
Tell me again where the weakness is?
So we finished 3rd on the ladder on percentage but 5th for points scored. Av. score of only 9.6 a game despite being No.1 team for I50s, with a diff. of +2.3. Hardly shooting the lights out score-wise.
So old JR8 kicks most goals again with 33 as he plays 2 more games, and TL highest av. p/g at 1.68 and 32g total. Hardly startling for 2 highly experienced KPFs !
Bearing this out, who takes the most marks in total at 114 with highest av. p/g at 5.43 but ... Jayden Short. Once upon a time, your KPFs would usually take the most marks because that was their strength. (Now defences run the out-number and much better organised?)

Dusty 3rd most goals w. 22 followed by Castagna w. 17 followed by another mid/forward w. 15, Shai. Aarts actually comes next w. 14 from 14 games. Rioli plays 18 games for a mere 12g. KMac even comes in 10th with 6g from 18 games. So what if Dusty has to spend far more time on the ball because a key mid goes down, which has happened, just not in a key final or GF?

There's plenty more analysis that far better stats people than me can come up with. It just doesn't look all that stunning to my eye. But always good if you score more than the oppo on the given day!! Just think the trend is not great.

Last edited:

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Good luck to Riley against the Skunks rip in son.

Good luck lad hopefully it's the beginning of bigger and better things.

Reactions: 3 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Why would we pay out extra to " trade up " in a draft year where most kids barely got to play a game of footy for the season. When we could bank some double up picks into a year where most of the kids who missed last season's games would come into this years draft a bit more mature. Along with this years best kids who should get a season of games n create a seriously fat draft.

Top it up with the fact that we've got a very promising bunch of youngsters who are already fighting to find a way to break into a multi premiership side and it seems pointless to keep cramming more numbers into a very crowded space instead of creating a little bit of room for the list to breathe.

I'm happy enough with the way the club has seen to go forward regarding the list growth n development. Don't think they've done a massive amount wrong this last generation of players.
Firstly there's no certainty about things returning back fully to pre-Covid in 2021. Don't confuse hope with certainty just yet. The virus from hell seems able to mutate at will - UK, SA, Brazilian and now Russian strains in just a few months. We bloody well hope the vaccines are a way out, thus the kids will get something like the 2019 season in. So could be some very handy talent available. But who knows; some of this year's crop may have been under-rated in the circumstances. As I keep saying, the promising kids waiting in line are nearly all mids or maybe HBs. Who is the JR8 heir apparent? I think CCJ is more ruck/forward, not agile enough for KPF.

Re paying out. Surely plenty of $$ in the kitty with Rance freeing up $1.4m reportedly, BEllis well gone, Higgins and Markov too? And brought in Sampson and MRJ on chips. Surely huge credit balance, even allowing for re-contracting some flag stars.
Just thought we may have found a handy young player rather than trade out and seem to have little interest. I explain why Henry appealed to me in other posts.
The club have done great - obviously. But you stand still or don't identify and address weaknesses, someone will get past you, or some of the chasing pack even.
Just MHO.

• Haha

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
He he he...Me thinks you misunderstood that invite from tas, might need to be a boxer not a boozer
Finally I get to reply to this one. Thanks for the tip, Berwick. I had no idea, that tas was threatening violence, of course. But, seeing you appear to know him well, I'll take your word for it.

So puzzling why he has to hide behind the Ignore button then for such a hard man - just because someone expresses a different opinion to him?

It's lucky I'm not into pubs much, or thugs in pubs either.

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
good luck tonight ......big game for him

his upside is huge for us .....but can he get there......

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Big rumour he is playing on Dac's.
Dacs has burnt the track over the pre-season. Hopefully he follows in the footsteps of Pettifier and Fleming. Who too burnt the track during the pre-season too.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Collingwood’s high possession midfield will be a good challenge for him. I’d be excited to see a couple of good moments, he doesn’t need to get 20+ possessions to impress.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
One thing I could be all most certain of in RCDs game tonight is eye catching moments , in all his footy I’ve seen he has “ moments” where you cant help but be impressed , has a hell of a lot to work with and a bit to work on. At this point his a burst impact player not an accumulator.

Hope he goes well, could be a great asset this year and going forward

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
What's a good game for him look like tonight?

I dont think he will get extended minutes.

Maybe 8-10 possessions and a goal or a goal assist with a play or two where you think "that was nice"

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Big rumour he is playing on Dac's.
Dacs has burnt the track over the pre-season. Hopefully he follows in the footsteps of Pettifier and Fleming. Who too burnt the track during the pre-season too.
Digital to analog converter?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
What's a good game for him look like tonight?

I dont think he will get extended minutes.

Maybe 8-10 possessions and a goal or a goal assist with a play or two where you think "that was nice"
45 possessions
42 contested possessions
23 inside 50's
That will have him in contention for round 1

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
So what if Dusty has to spend far more time on the ball because a key mid goes down, which has happened, just not in a key final or GF?
Maybe the rest of the forwards would get more premium silver service ball if Dusty was playing more mid time.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Firstly there's no certainty about things returning back fully to pre-Covid in 2021. Don't confuse hope with certainty just yet. The virus from hell seems able to mutate at will - UK, SA, Brazilian and now Russian strains in just a few months. We bloody well hope the vaccines are a way out, thus the kids will get something like the 2019 season in. So could be some very handy talent available. But who knows; some of this year's crop may have been under-rated in the circumstances. As I keep saying, the promising kids waiting in line are nearly all mids or maybe HBs. Who is the JR8 heir apparent? I think CCJ is more ruck/forward, not agile enough for KPF.

Re paying out. Surely plenty of $$ in the kitty with Rance freeing up $1.4m reportedly, BEllis well gone, Higgins and Markov too? And brought in Sampson and MRJ on chips. Surely huge credit balance, even allowing for re-contracting some flag stars.
Just thought we may have found a handy young player rather than trade out and seem to have little interest. I explain why Henry appealed to me in other posts.
The club have done great - obviously. But you stand still or don't identify and address weaknesses, someone will get past you, or some of the chasing pack even.
Just MHO.
Reference to paying out wasn't in dollar terms, it was in paying out picks or players to creep up the draft in a year when there was so much uncertainty regarding the crop of kids coming into last years draft.
Personally don't rate the other Henery that highly, maybe this ones a bit better, maybe he's not.
More than comfortable with the way the club have looked to give the youngsters on hand some room to grow n develop by not overcrowding the squad of potential up n comers while also locking in a strong draft hand for the end of this year.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Had moments, showed good vision by hands in traffic but most of all didn’t look out of place.

Reactions: 10 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Still a bit green and plays on when he shouldn't, but another one who will get games this season.