Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto

What a game from tim 35 and 2 goals, Another 2 or 3 Brownlow votes this game. Going off Espn Brownlow predictor who have got 7 of the last 9 Brownlow winners correct, he was sitting 5th so some more votes this round would see him getting closer to the top 3

Reactions: 4 users
Can’t believe GWS wouldn’t play him Mid but instead Kelly and cogs. Reckon he is a far better player then both and is showing it this season. Walk up start into the AA 22

Reactions: 5 users
Wonder what Korn hole is thinking.
They should make him present the Brownlow to Timmy when he wins it.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Wonder what Korn hole is thinking.
Robbo of all people alluded to the conflict Cornes has created for himself with being both unfairly critical of TT and an All Auat selector. Robbo was right on this.

Reactions: 4 users
Robbo of all people alluded to the conflict Cornes has created for himself with being both unfairly critical of TT and an All Auat selector. Robbo was right on this.
Yep, and it’s a conflict that is growing every week as #151 puts up game after game that would make other near certainties in the All-Australian side blush.

Reactions: 3 users
Not like you to take cheap shots like the other cowards on here Antman. (Edit: Must have changed it before I posted).

Fascinating game from Taranto.

He had 2 turnovers, in his entire career he has never averaged less than 3.1 across the season (I don't have game by game that I can access easily).

Averaged 6.3 metres gained per disposal tonight, never been under 13 across a season in his career.

Disposal efficiency up from 63% to 71%, my estimate is his kicking efficiency will be up from 44% to 60+.

Still had 7 clearances (season average) and his contested possession percentage was up around 10% on season to date so it's not like he got easier ball.

It's like he decided he was going to use the ball shorter, got rid of the dump kicks and took short options all night, often just feeding by hand.

I'm interested to trawl back through and see if he has ever had another game like it, amazing to see a 25 year make such a dramatic shift in a single game.

I can only assume he has been reading the wisdom of the great TBR and taken it on board. In which case, if you're reading this Tim, well done son, more of that and I'll shut up.
From watching it looked more handballs than normal.
Average metres gained gives this indication too.

Plus the congestion of the game meant some shorter chips out of the pack and kicks off the ground. Both smart tactics in the conditions/pressure

Assuming his form continues, if TT doesn't make AA its a complete rort. He's easily a top 10 player in the AFL.

Reactions: 2 users
Great deal. Impossible to argue he’s not living up to the value.

Reactions: 11 users

I am starting to think a Brownlow is a distinct possibility.

Daicos is currently favourite, but I am thinking this is more weight of money than the reality.

Think Taranto might have Daicos covered for votes at the moment.

Not like you to take cheap shots like the other cowards on here Antman. (Edit: Must have changed it before I posted).

He had 2 turnovers, in his entire career he has never averaged less than 3.1 across the season (I don't have game by game that I can access easily).

Averaged 6.3 metres gained per disposal tonight, never been under 13 across a season in his career.

Disposal efficiency up from 63% to 71%, my estimate is his kicking efficiency will be up from 44% to 60+.

Still had 7 clearances (season average) and his contested possession percentage was up around 10% on season to date so it's not like he got easier ball.

It's like he decided he was going to use the ball shorter, got rid of the dump kicks and took short options all night, often just feeding by hand.

I'm interested to trawl back through and see if he has ever had another game like it, amazing to see a 25 year make such a dramatic shift in a single game.

I can only assume he has been reading the wisdom of the great TBR and taken it on board. In which case, if you're reading this Tim, well done son, more of that and I'll shut up.
Could it possibly be that when it started pissing down with rain he simply went the safer option of hand balling the slippery pill out of congestion a bit more than hoofing it as long as he could?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Could it possibly be that when it started pissing down with rain he simply went the safer option of hand balling the slippery pill out of congestion a bit more than hoofing it as long as he could?

I don't trust my memory these days TM, but did it start to rain in the second quarter?

Because he'd had 12 touches at quarter time with the same shorter use, more handball trend apparent.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't trust my memory these days TM, but did it start to rain in the second quarter?

Because he'd had 12 touches at quarter time with the same shorter use, more handball trend apparent.
Mighta got a drop or two in the second qtr.
Another possible thought bubble is that as a Tigerland newbie, he's starting to get a better handle on who n where his team mates are around the contest with more games played. Therefore he's instinctively finding his options instead of simply trying to push the ball as far forward as he possibly can most times he gets it. It's only minimal adjustments that can make a hell of a difference to out comes.
First few games he butchered by foot n couldn't kick a goal to save himself, last few games he's banging multiple goals.

Reactions: 3 users
Mighta got a drop or two in the second qtr.
Another possible thought bubble is that as a Tigerland newbie, he's starting to get a better handle on who n where his team mates are around the contest with more games played. Therefore he's instinctively finding his options instead of simply trying to push the ball as far forward as he possibly can most times he gets it. It's only minimal adjustments that can make a hell of a difference to out comes.
First few games he butchered by foot n couldn't kick a goal to save himself, last few games he's banging multiple goals.

Could be, or maybe now he is on the big stage with great footy minds like Kane Cornes and TBR analysing his game it's made him aware of things that were going under the radar.

Or maybe it was a fluke and next week he will dump kick his way to double figure turnovers again.

These are the ones where it would be great to know what is going on behind the scenes.

Reactions: 1 user

There seemed to be a distinct change of focus upon entering F50 last night. There was a lot more lower ball entry, Jack even signalled at 1 point to Shai when he put a really high ball inside 50 to bring the ball in lower. I think the focus was to take the extra possession to enter 50 and not just bomb it in long.

Tim's game benefited from this, as he was clearly ensuring that he didn't bomb the ball long and look for the extra handball. There also appeared to be a clear focus to look for certain players to deliver the ball inside 50, Shai and Dustin being the 2 biggest focuses. Look for that extra handball or short kick to get it into the right persons hands to deliver into 50.

Baker had said they had spoken about this during the week, and had been planning on using the ball better and not bombing it in long. We will need something similar against the Saints on Saturday as they structure up very well behind the ball like Freo do.

Reactions: 5 users
There seemed to be a distinct change of focus upon entering F50 last night. There was a lot more lower ball entry, Jack even signalled at 1 point to Shai when he put a really high ball inside 50 to bring the ball in lower. I think the focus was to take the extra possession to enter 50 and not just bomb it in long.

Tim's game benefited from this, as he was clearly ensuring that he didn't bomb the ball long and look for the extra handball. There also appeared to be a clear focus to look for certain players to deliver the ball inside 50, Shai and Dustin being the 2 biggest focuses. Look for that extra handball or short kick to get it into the right persons hands to deliver into 50.

Baker had said they had spoken about this during the week, and had been planning on using the ball better and not bombing it in long. We will need something similar against the Saints on Saturday as they structure up very well behind the ball like Freo do.

Don't know if we had any PREnders capable of assessing these things at the ground last night but what you're suggesting might well have been a tactical measure.

Fremantle clearly had the plus one down back all night, I wonder if we kept the extra number at the stoppage instead of rolling one back ourselves, and focussed on using the extra to get better entries?

AFL stats have both teams down for 70 intercept marks o_O so it would be interesting to see what the actual number was. Maybe we went 1v1 defensively, which is why Amiss was able to get on top a little.

Reactions: 1 users