Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
George - Great if he kicks them - *smile* when he kicks them out on the full. He stays of course and we all hope he recaptures just a touch more poise/calm.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yes, absolutely. Costs more goals than he kicks or creates. Often cannot get the ball off his hands properly, or gather it effectively, let alone his boot.
Can you back that up somehow? Had the most score involvements of anyone on the ground in our game.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
When is the competition going to take this bloke seriously?
Doesn’t stop running, his pressure is outstanding.
His only flaw is he can’t kick.
Can’t believe he isn’t in AA team

Reactions: 1 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Castagna’s biggest issue is set shot goal kicking. Just needs to find a better, straight line approach drop punt routine & practice it all summer like a golfer or tennis player practices their routines. Aside from that he’s a terrific player - hard at it, quick, marks well, tackles well. Just goal kicking & little rushed at times. Let’s support him to get better because he can.

Reactions: 1 user
J

Jumping Jack

George is George... Those who don’t like it just have to suck it up, as he’s not going anywhere.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Another very good game, despite a couple of sodas.

Top 10 B & F for sure.

Oh and the first of our small forwards picked.

Reactions: 2 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Can you back that up somehow? Had the most score involvements of anyone on the ground in our game.
Mostly by what I often see every time he plays. I've admitted he has qualities to offer but there's a lack of finesse, accuracy , skill sharpness and vision or game awareness too that frustrates me. You could read Lamb's post above for the Lions' game.
He's kicked 24. 21 for the year, averaged 5.9 score involvements. Interesting to compare with this guy who kicked 37.31 with 6 score invs:

I'm not saying for one moment that the club made the wrong decision; JC's speed and running power is thought far more required for our game. The major reason we let SL go and retained JC is the age gap - same for Butler - should have many more years left in their careers, but who knows. (Already Butler has reached the crossroads at RFC).
But in terms of sheer football skills? Also Lloyd has proven he could be a fine player in a very quick team; leg-speed isn't everything when it comes to footy.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Sure I agree I think we can improve our conversion rate (every supporter of every team probably says the same thing), we do leave a lot on the table but look at the scores we've given up in our winning streak of 9, many against the top teams; 55,82,45,60,66,63,67,58,70. If we continue to strangle our opponents like this our own conversion rate becomes less important. For me that's the primary focus. other tweaks will help but less important. We have the team now (minus all those injuries we had earlier in the season) that can win this.
Agree with you overall but your pointing out the secret to our success is a great defence, even without Rance. Grimes, Vlastuin and Houli, plus Stack earlier, have done a brilliant job. However, the wasted scoring opportunities soon put the pressure back on them. It must really frustrate them seeing forwards blow goal-scoring chances after they have nearly killed themselves to win contests and clearances under extreme pressure e.g. simple shots at goal.

Finals are a new ball game. Rest assured, each club is studying their opponents' strengths and weaknesses as we speak. The Lions will be working hard on undoing our defence to take far more benefit from their possession and clearance dominance in the 2nd half. Finals performance is not guaranteed by H & A games. You have to seek improvements to produce the best team performance and it's our forward profligacy that needs to be 'tweaked.'

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
When is the competition going to take this bloke seriously?
Doesn’t stop running, his pressure is outstanding.
His only flaw is he can’t kick.
Can’t believe he isn’t in AA team
Apart from not kicking anything, he’s never at the feet of our talls (no one is though, he’s not the Lone Ranger). His pressure is outstanding no doubt, but he is rarely first to the ball and so he does spend a lot of time defending, though apparently not making F50 tackles. I could probably handle his complete lack of football intelligence if we had others doing the crumbing and tackling work in the forward 50, but our F50 pressure is not near what it once was. It’s a shame we don’t have a hard insider that could do that job... like when we had Townsend on the list.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Castagna is starting to come in to his own.
Sure, his helter skelter approach to the game creates some issues for him (and those around him at times), but his energy and hunger brings a great dynamic to the team.
He's a keeper for mine.
Reckon he will bust out during September.

Tygrys

Tiger Superstar
Apr 25, 2004
Castagna’s biggest issue is set shot goal kicking. Just needs to find a better, straight line approach drop punt routine & practice it all summer like a golfer or tennis player practices their routines. Aside from that he’s a terrific player - hard at it, quick, marks well, tackles well. Just goal kicking & little rushed at times. Let’s support him to get better because he can.

I'm pretty sure he has spent at least a mind numbing summer or two already doing just that. It would incomprehensible if the coaching staff had not pulled him aside and told him that his longevity as an AFL footballer is at risk if he didn't do something about his kicking. He only got picked as a rookie largely because his kicking is so crap and at 23 it's pretty unlikely that is going to improve significantly (let alone his general awareness). To me he is one of those classic players that you play and keep until someone better comes along and whom you don't have much expectation they'll become anything more than what they already are.

I think he is safe for the finals because the players that would most likely replace him are injured, but next year with Stack and Higgins fit, with Ross and B Crouch perhaps slotting into the midfield, someone is going to go out, and chances are it will probably be the worst kick at the club. Anyhow I'm hoping sooner rather than later we are in a position to make that call.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The really confounding thing about Castagna is that I've seen him kick a long straight drop punt through the goals. Like just about anyone at this level he can kick the ball well. I figure the problem is between the ears: pressure etc. Not sure how you try and fix that but I'm sure the club is trying. He is a valuable player and could be amazing if he could fix the kicking.

DS

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
That quarter was certainly ‘frustrating George ‘.

Could have had 2-3 goals.

He is so valuable to our game style and such a difficult and unpredictable match up burger you just want to rip the hair off your head with his misses.

Looked like he had overcome so of his yips but has returned of late.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
not far off the most unique footballer in the AFL, and we've got a few 'uniques' at the club.
he's a misfit that fits, and sometimes there is nothing greater than that .. he is a lock for finals, no question.

Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
When Georgie had his set shot for goal in the first quarter - I half expected him to run around and attempt a snap instead.
And run to the right!
Might have been an improvement actually if he had.

Am just hoping for the law of averages to take effect during the finals.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
not far off the most unique footballer in the AFL, and we've got a few 'uniques' at the club.
he's a misfit that fits, and sometimes there is nothing greater than that .. he is a lock for finals, no question.
Yes for sure. 1 goal three points and out of bounds.

Reactions: 1 users