Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
He has some credits in the bank, just as well, because that was a disgraceful first half of football and the second half wasn't much better.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Needs a rest. Not sighted

But he was running. Fast. Into space. Then back out. And again, and again. Fast.
It's cosmic. Like a mirage. Many people on here really value it ... because it's ... like cosmic.
It's got nothing to do with football. It's way more metaphysical. Hard to explain ... kinda like a black hole or something .. to those who can appreciate.

You mustn't get it .. either.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Must say that was a very poor game from George. Perhaps his worst ever.

Reactions: 1 user

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Not a Castagna fan, just as I'm not a K-Mac fan nor was an Ellis fan - all these players make dumb decisions and butcher the ball. However also appreciate how important these types are to our system being effective - George had his worst game - but he will stay in and bounce back.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
How did our fwd line function in 2017 2018 and 2019?

You mean the forward line that had Rioli, Butler, Caddy, Townsend playing in it? This year is not those years.

In the early days of that period, Castagna had a little value, because of the three amigos, he offered an aerial presence which was important. With the advent of Caddy forward, then Lynch and now Lynch and Chol, he is almost never useful in the air.

He has already been pushed out of the forward line. We're using him now in this odd wing position that he's not suited too simply because we've got a bit of a bare cupboard.

We now have better forward line players, and he's not as versatile as the PRE group think presumes.

In that period that you highlight, many players have been pushed out of the forward line to make it function better. Townsend first, then Butler, then Caddy. Now Castagna.

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Not a Castagna fan, just as I'm not a K-Mac fan nor was an Ellis fan - all these players make dumb decisions and butcher the ball. However also appreciate how important these types are to our system being effective - George had his worst game - but he will stay in and bounce back.

Ellis and Kmac both have been dropped when not performing.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
But he was running. Fast. Into space. Then back out. And again, and again. Fast.
It's cosmic. Like a mirage. Many people on here really value it ... because it's ... like cosmic.
It's got nothing to do with football. It's way more metaphysical. Hard to explain ... kinda like a black hole or something .. to those who can appreciate.

You mustn't get it .. either.
That made my little brain hurt a bit.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Hopefully the bye freshens him up.

His ordinary year along with Riolis are barometers for our results, same for Lambert.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Castagna needs to lift & play better, including finishing. One more poor game & it’s out.

He needs to bring the chase and harass pressure tackling, bursting run and contesting to keep the ball in our 50.

He hasn't really brought it this year neither has Daniel, and its one of the main reasons we are not playing Richmond footy.

Dan and George are massive cogs in the Tigers pressure footy, but they haven't really been there this year since the return.

The small forwards are also going too far up the ground and cant get back on attacking transition hence no one at the feet of Tommy all year.

This need to be addressed, and hopefully is just a result of dropping to back more during play to mitigate our poor clearance work in and around the middle due to personel.

Hopefully we get enough quality into the middle to allow our forwards to play more attacking again.

Last edited:

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
He needs to bring the chase and harass pressure tackling, bursting run and contesting to keep the ball in our 50.

He hasn't really brought it this year neither has Daniel, and its one of the main reasons we are not playing Richmond footy.

Dan and George are massive cogs in the Tigers pressure footy, but they haven't really been there this year since the return.

The small forwards are also going too far up the ground and cant get back on attacking transition hence no one at the feet of Tommy all year.
Agree. Needs to get back to the above simple plan for him to follow.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
You mean the forward line that had Rioli, Butler, Caddy, Townsend playing in it? This year is not those years.

In the early days of that period, Castagna had a little value, because of the three amigos, he offered an aerial presence which was important. With the advent of Caddy forward, then Lynch and now Lynch and Chol, he is almost never useful in the air.

He has already been pushed out of the forward line. We're using him now in this odd wing position that he's not suited too simply because we've got a bit of a bare cupboard.

We now have better forward line players, and he's not as versatile as the PRE group think presumes.

In that period that you highlight, many players have been pushed out of the forward line to make it function better. Townsend first, then Butler, then Caddy. Now Castagna.
Sure he took a few marks but his value wasn't his marking. It was the pressure he was applying in the fwd 50. It's still a very valued commodity but he's being asked to play up the ground to cover the loss of ellis and recently caddy. His one and only wood is to chase and harrass in the fwd 50 to create chaos. He has no ther strings to his bow. I suspect dimma will realise this and move him back there. If not I agree with you he should be dropped. The problem with george up on the wings is the chaos he creates is too easily mopped up by the opposition.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Sure he took a few marks but his value wasn't his marking. It was the pressure he was applying in the fwd 50. It's still a very valued commodity but he's being asked to play up the ground to cover the loss of ellis and recently caddy. His one and only wood is to chase and harrass in the fwd 50 to create chaos. He has no ther strings to his bow. I suspect dimma will realise this and move him back there. If not I agree with you he should be dropped.

Yep we've mitigated the loss of Edwards to a degree with Shai ...much better to have them both in :(.

Problem is we've lost Shais energy, craft and pace and creativity forward and have not replaced it (which covered and forced Butlers exit), and now Castagna is not providing that forward chaos either with the disappearance of Rioli nearly all year.

Aarts is a goer I like him he is more reliable at the sticks than George and is a good hard worker but hes not quick and Higgo is slow also.

We can get by without George or Rioli playing well but not both, and when they are both playing well we are usually dominant.

Our forward pressure and lack of it has stopped us playing Richmond footy.

Edwards out is a hurting our structure and flexibility, we are not used to not having him out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yep we've mitigated the loss of Edwards to a degree with Shai ...much better to have them both in :(.

Problem is we've lost Shais energy and pace and creativity forward (which covered Butlers exit), and now Castagnas gone missing from providing that forward chaos along with the disappearance of RIoli.

We haven't replaced Shais speed or ground craft forward and have not had Rioli or George either.

Aarts is a goer I like him he is more reliable at the sticks than George and is a good hard worker but hes not quick and Higgo is slow also.

We can get by without George or Rioli playing well but not both, and when they are both playing well we are usually dominant.

Our forward pressure and lack of it has stopped us playing Richmond footy.
Yep forgot about shai moving out of the fwd line. Makes even less sense to move george out also especially with rioli struggling