Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

Remember George started as a back and that effort against Brando reminded us why he is now a forward. Those of us that used to watch a bit of him in the vfl in the past have seen it before.
He has always been a mixture of good and bad but the bad is winning out at the moment and imo he needs replacing in the team.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve been a critic of Georgie in the past and no doubt his well out of form and probably needs to remain on the banana lounge while the boys head off to Darwin on the weekend , however FFs lets show a bit of respect for a 2 time Richmond Premiership player , this ain’t big footy

I called him a “buffoon” and I stand by it.

• Haha
It would be disrespectful of the other players on our list to decide that because George is a dual Premiership player his place is the team is somehow sacrosanct
He is not contributing enough at the moment and needs a spell

Reactions: 1 users
WTF is he doing in the backline?
Was he kick chasing?
With zero tackles he certainly wasnt chasing player out of the forward line!

The closer to finals, the harder it is to drop players and expect a non first 22 replacement to pick up the pace.
Markov is the exception.

Sorry, but it is time to go George (it was actually about two games ago)

Guessing he doesn't like the crowded forward line.
Even by his standards he well below crap.

Marking, kicking, handballing and tackling are all off.

George needs a spell in the naughty corner.

Apart from that ridiculous marking/spoiling attempt, whatever it was is still to be determined, his place in the team is supposed to be as a fast running, hard tackling, crumbing and occasional goal scoring, pressure forward. It's his job to keep the ball in our forward 50. So how well has he been going in all those areas? Very poorly. Where's the pace he had in last year's GF? Not seen much of that and very few tackles in the past few games. Must have a spell to show team mates he is not just picked on reputation. Markov can play his role and he is playing well. Houli comes in to make up the 22.

Reactions: 2 users
Apart from that ridiculous marking/spoiling attempt, whatever it was is still to be determined, his place in the team is supposed to be as a fast running, hard tackling, crumbing and occasional goal scoring, pressure forward. It's his job to keep the ball in our forward 50. So how well has he been going in all those areas? Very poorly. Where's the pace he had in last year's GF? Not seen much of that and very few tackles in the past few games. Must have a spell to show team mates he is not just picked on reputation. Markov can play his role and he is playing well. Houli comes in to make up the 22.
He's been asked to play all over the ground.

Watched George closely last night - he's all at sea. doesn't know whether to go left or right, he's fumbling, not releasing the ball when tackled, jumping into opponents. It's like his brain has malfunctioned.

Dimma is asking too much playing him in the midfield, wing and defence. He needs to keep it simple and restrict him to our fwd 50. He plays his best footy where it's tight and he can chase and harass running backs. KISS. Otherwise he's a liability to the team.

Reactions: 6 users

Watched George closely last night - he's all at sea. doesn't know whether to go left or right, he's fumbling, not releasing the ball when tackled, jumping into opponents. It's like his brain has malfunctioned.

Dimma is asking too much playing him in the midfield, wing and defence. He needs to keep it simple and restrict him to our fwd 50. He plays his best footy where it's tight and he can chase and harass running backs. KISS. Otherwise he's a liability to the team.
Very good description...it's like his brain has malfunctioned! Unfortunately he needs to be more flexible than just play fwd 50 and in the past he has done that, running up and back like most of them do. Even in the GF he was collecting kicks on the HB and wing positions so at the moment he has lost confidence for some reason.

Or to precis: either you are able to play AFL at the level; or not (currently).

You are thinking it's still 2017/18/19. The game has moved on. Our football IQ has been taken elsewhere obviously. Most teams are trying to or have implemented our GP strategies or a variance of e.g. most teams try to assert high pressure all over the field including lowly teams like GCS last night (in early part of the game their PF was higher than ours') or Freo. Even Swans are now playing and succeeding with attacking, fast-ball movement since that awful effort against us!
I have already posted that I think Geesook or WCE look the big chances for 2020 flag. Take the Moggs, where Grigga went for them to gain access to our inner secrets. One huge improvement they have made is in the increased 2-way running of their mids and wingers who are also mostly big-bodied who can mark, kick, tackle, burst through packs, score goals.
If the ball is not getting i50, as per Poort game often, then do you just expect a player to get cold and do nothing to help the side? Because he is such a limited footballer?
There is no longer much room for such limited role-players. Stack is also really struggling but probably for different reasons. I don't want to see either in our side next week in a real danger game against the Bummers who are expecting a heap of players back just for us.

I LOL'd at this.

did you mean to say it like his brain has functioned
Georges brain runs a simple program - see player running away with ball, chase player. Dimma loaded a couple more programs and it overloaded the mainframe.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

This.

Im a big fan of George, but wow - when he plays a shocker, he really makes the most of it.