Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

He had one great kick. Every other play he was involved in turned to poop.

One particularly stupid fumble of his lead to freos run of goals that nearly got them back in the game.

He is painful to watch.

Reactions: 1 users
first off the finals boat, to make way for the rest of them coming back
followed by
Rioli

One particularly stupid fumble of his lead to freos run of goals that nearly got them back in the game.

He is painful to watch.
He's still just so panicked. Nil composure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does a power of work pushing back & helping our defence, not perfect but nowhere near as bad as some make out

Reactions: 3 users
Playing him further up the ground in his role currently. I approve of that. Played pretty well I thought.
nah - don't like him up the ground.

it's either full time small fwd inside the fwd 50 or out of the side

does alot of running sure but has minimal impact

in the fwd 50 he can use his burst of speed and energy and really apply heavy pressure on the running backs

in the open field it seems his energy and burst is diluted and has very little else to offer

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure entirely how they work but the AFL player ratings had Castagna pegged as out 2nd best player to Graham so he must have done plenty right in spite of some criticism here.

I'm not sure entirely how they work but the AFL player ratings had Castagna pegged as out 2nd best player to Graham so he must have done plenty right in spite of some criticism here.
some critisism !!!, here's a selection of quotes from this page only !!

best game in weeks.
mind you, that's not saying much

Thought he was pretty poor again

Yeh, as a fan it was better than the previous 2 weeks but not saying much

He was extremely poor again, and should not be getting a game.

Must have Dimma photos..

He is capable of much better but jeez it’s gotta be produced soon or else

Better, but his body of work this year is not up to his work in premiership years 17 and 19.

He is painful to watch.

Very poor peripheral vision/awareness.

Yeh I had him in the votes and thought he was much improved. He did stuff up some half chances but he also made some important contributions. It was a generally an average performance all round from the whole team.

Take AFL player ratings with a grain of salt. They had Riccardi worst on ground last week for the giants and he kicked 4.1 from 9 marks and 12 disposals

Small forward or out for Castagna for mine. His panic, lack of awareness and iffy disposal in the back half of the ground is too costly. When the rest of our side is streaming forward we just can't defend the mistakes there

Don't think you can judge Castagna on established metrics.

The guy is one of a kind. Brings chaos and confusion to the table -- and that's just amongst his teammates!

Imagine how oppos plan for him. Blank stares all 'round.

I also love him further up the ground. He's a great mark for his size and is expansive in his decision-making. No option is off the table, ever.

Embrace the unpredictable!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Don't think you can judge Castagna on established metrics.

The guy is one of a kind. Brings chaos and confusion to the table -- and that's just amongst his teammates!

Imagine how oppos plan for him. Blank stares all 'round.

I also love him further up the ground. He's a great mark for his size and is expansive in his decision-making. No option is off the table, ever.

Embrace the unpredictable!

Oppos don't plan for him. They're more than happy for him to have the ball.

'Expansive in his decision-making' is actually a great line.

some critisism !!!, here's a selection of quotes from this page only !!

best game in weeks.
mind you, that's not saying much

Thought he was pretty poor again

Yeh, as a fan it was better than the previous 2 weeks but not saying much

He was extremely poor again, and should not be getting a game.

Must have Dimma photos..

He is capable of much better but jeez it’s gotta be produced soon or else

Better, but his body of work this year is not up to his work in premiership years 17 and 19.

He is painful to watch.

Very poor peripheral vision/awareness.
Like Jason, us PR enders are consistently inconsistent.

• Haha
Not going to get any easier for George in the finals. Got to say while hope does spring eternal, I have a fair degree of trepidation regarding his future performances and considerable disappointment that he has held his spot throughout the year.

Fifth most pressure acts for us with 14 to go with his 15 touches against Freo. I thought he was serviceable.

George and Rioli have been playing much deeper this year, virtually playing more wing than fwd. Without having a birdseye view I think we've tweaked our game plan and are looking to apply more pressure on the wings rather than the fwd line and looking to slingshot hard from there. Dunno, or it could be a result of the shorter qtrs.

Reactions: 4 users
Let's take a minute and highlight how good this bloke is.
Yeah he might f up sometimes, miss the unmissable.
But watching him on Friday night in formula 1 mode run up and down the ground was unbelievable.

If Dangerfield kicked that goal at the end it wouldve been news of the week..spoken about on every footy show and radio station.

He was right there when Baker caught Dangerfield, he received 2 handball's in that play leading to him kicking that goal. And this was done at full speed. 6 player's involved. Unbelievable play

When Rioli and castagna play well we look stronger.

Reactions: 7 users
I like him better in the role he's playing this season.
Definitely being played as a high half forward & utilising his running ability more often being seen deep in defence too.
Some may disagree but IMHO his goal kicking isn't reliable enough to be played closer to goal & I've no doubt the footy dept has realised that too. That's not to say he doesn't have strengths, he has plenty.

Well said zips.

That passage of play prior to and including the goal was Classical, Cat consigning, Captain Chaos Carnage.
Zig zagging, legs pumping, exuberance.
Run, run, run.
They are right. Speed does kill.

Then to slot it and demoralise Tom A. Hawk for his brain fade 30 seconds earlier was Gold!

Reactions: 3 users