Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

Simply had enough Spook. He is no good get your head out of the sand. We are allowing him to be mediocre while others get dropped. Bad culture if it continues to happen. Role player is a PR spin word. He is no good and people like me are sick of him. Go and bash your Tamborine toss.
That's crazy. George has been a significant part of 3 premierships. He's a significant role player in this side.

Bad culture if it continues to happen?

Role player is a spin PR word? He is no good?

Sorry, you've gone crackers.

Reactions: 1 user
Spook you are laughable. He is so out of form it's ridiculous yet he still gets picked ahead of other players. That is terrible culture and will cost us another chance. Good sides evolve and replace weak performers regardless. He rarely wins contested ball, rarely takes a contested mark, rarely tackles lately and Rarely kick goals. What does he do to get a game? You are clueless clearly.
Laughable is your posts on this. Why does he get picked? Maybe because we don't select on supercoach points?

Cost us another chance?

The tigers have faced many challenges over the past 5 years, everything the AFL can throw at them. Surely you've got to trust their method by now?

And you claim we are going down the path of a terrible culture and costing ourselves another chance based on george getting selected?

Seriously, who is the clueless one here?

George plays because he is super quick, but l would like him up on the wing ...

Captain Chaos is about to be replaced by a new villain. Just not getting into dangerous positions or contributing to the team

Creating one turnover from one quick little pressure act has the same impact on the game as a someone taking a huge intercept mark.

Has less impact on the viewer though.
How many turnovers did he cause from his pressure acts? Any idea or even a guess?
Pressure acts don’t always result in a turnover

The analysis goes well beyond just tackles, spoils and smothers, with Champion Data introducing pressure points in 2011.
The points system is a key tool for clubs and awards appropriately weighted points for each of the four 'pressure acts'.

Points are awarded for corralling (1.2), chasing (1.5), closing (2.75) and physical pressure (3.75).

I had a chuckle to myself immediately after Jacks mark went down......in the maelstrom of that magical moment our Captain Chaos was planted at the base of the pack. As all the bodies crashed and spilt around him George calmly stepped out of the chaos.

His pace will be important for us on Optus. Stays in.
One of his weapon is his jump for mark, this has been missing,

When he took that loose ball about 25 out in the last and went to snap at goal (on his right foot mind you) you just knew he was going to send it short. Happens every time. Zero penetration on the snap kick.

Spook you are laughable. He is so out of form it's ridiculous yet he still gets picked ahead of other players. That is terrible culture and will cost us another chance. Good sides evolve and replace weak performers regardless. He rarely wins contested ball, rarely takes a contested mark, rarely tackles lately and Rarely kick goals. What does he do to get a game? You are clueless clearly.
Get off the crack, cracker

Reactions: 1 users
Don't forget McBean - Was on that train as well!!
I was gonna say one fart and they call you stinky for life.
But you just acknowledged three bloopers. You're on your own.

Reactions: 1 users
I think everyone gets this. So Castagna had 22 pressure acts. So did Cotchin and Prestia, however they also influence the game with their skill. I think the question is, are there other more skilled players on the list that could come in provide the pressure George provides? If not then he stays in. If there is, he must be dropped.
Relax He won't be dropped.
He is our biggest pressure player in the team.
He creates turnovers and he is a bullet when he gets the ball.
His disposal this year has been a huge let down, but his efforts outside of that have been A1.
More chance Martin getting Dropped.
Ring the coaches and ask then what George means to our style.
RFC Coach March 2021 'people dosent understand our style is built around George"

How many turnovers did he cause from his pressure acts? Any idea or even a guess?

The analysis goes well beyond just tackles, spoils and smothers, with Champion Data introducing pressure points in 2011.
The points system is a key tool for clubs and awards appropriately weighted points for each of the four 'pressure acts'.

Points are awarded for corralling (1.2), chasing (1.5), closing (2.75) and physical pressure (3.75).

Sometimes I‘ll watch a replay purely from the perspective of “how are we making the opponent stuff up”

I don’t put any thought into pressure stats, I just know I regularly find myself watching George sprint to an opposition player to somehow get a hand on his side as he’s kicking the ball, and then a few seconds later our team has the ball. I’ll think to myself I bet most people missed that, as sometimes it’s barely noticeable unless you’re looking for reasons why the opposition keeps stuffing up. The reward is on delay. It can be several seconds before his action influences the game, and by then we’re cheering on someone else for somehow getting the ball back.

There’s also those opposition kicks that would’ve been a perfect pass that end up becoming a contested ball 5 seconds later, which they might get back anyway, but it’s a slower entry so our defenders have more time to setup, which is everything because it reduces chaos / increases order.

Whatever it is, Trent is the best at doing it, and George is pretty good too. I can’t answer your question of how many times he does it as I’m not going by stats and I don’t know everything he does, so I’m trusting the coaches there.

Unless he’s doing significantly less than usual, it depends on how important you think “it” is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Pressure acts is another low level stat like metres gained, hit outs and score assist.

Sometimes I‘ll watch a replay purely from the perspective of “how are we making the opponent stuff up”
Interesting.

I often watch the replay focussing on who and how we gave up possession when we have it (with time to dispose).

George must have lost some top speed this week. Jack Graham quicker. :DB4FDC8B6-B55C-4ECA-B954-213BCC3363D6.png

Attachments

• (1) Midseason Draft  Page 6  BigFooty.png
    (1) Midseason Draft Page 6 BigFooty.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Thanks Willo,

Any chance you (or anyone) can send me to where you got that info from so I can have a look?

Like what is closing?