Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

Bests according to who? The AFL site dribblers? The Herald-Sun dopes? The Age numpties? I gave him votes.

I'd suggest his running power is a big reason he stays in. With an extra tall we probably won't sacrifice that.

He's far from the classiest player but he's been a great servant and a valuable contributor to three flags. That doesn't guarantee him a game, of course, but it should afford him some respect.
Great servant for sure for our flags, but I'll respect him when he gets his head screwed on properly and stops fumbling and playing like a 5 year old.

Spook you are laughable. He is so out of form it's ridiculous yet he still gets picked ahead of other players. That is terrible culture and will cost us another chance. Good sides evolve and replace weak performers regardless. He rarely wins contested ball, rarely takes a contested mark, rarely tackles lately and Rarely kick goals. What does he do to get a game? You are clueless clearly.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, Dimma has instilled terrible culture at Richmond

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I think Georgie is out of form, but his running capacity is what keeps him in, if we do drop him, then who comes in?
Rioli and georgie for me could swap sub positions, but its ahard one to answer.
He has been down though, but man so has the most of the team?
Did you see dustys clangers tolday?

My impression is that he played on Doedee in the second half and nullified him. It seemed Jack Graham was on him in the first half and was ineffective. Anyone who watches the replay would be good if you could confirm.

Going the same way as Dan Rioli if we get a full list.
Aarts has taken his place .
The game has changed due to rule changes this year and George has spent so long being defensive his attacking instincts have been dulled.
Struggles to win enough ball to be useful.

Reactions: 3 users
Never learns from adversity because he never gets dropped. Doesn't have to earn a spot. Crazy that Dimma does not practice what he preaches.

Never been in such a slump before which shows you he's been pretty consistent warts and all.

Last edited:
If he’s not doing what Dimma wants I’d say this is as close as he’s been to been dropped in his career . Aarts is playing his role better , let’s bring some Stack magic in for Dreamtime

Reactions: 1 users
Bests according to who? The AFL site dribblers? The Herald-Sun dopes? The Age numpties? I gave him votes.

I'd suggest his running power is a big reason he stays in. With an extra tall we probably won't sacrifice that.

He's far from the classiest player but he's been a great servant and a valuable contributor to three flags. That doesn't guarantee him a game, of course, but it should afford him some respect.
Maybe confusing respect with an honest appraisal of where Castagna is atm. 1 goal in 6 games averages out to just over 3 goals a year. You can't carry any forward in that sort of form no matter how defensively well they're doing, which Castagna isn't doing so well anyway atm. GWS game likely saved his ass but has done little since. Baker, Shai and Aarts showed/showing how to play the role. Think he needs a rest to go back and find some form.

Reactions: 1 users

I said it on another thread but I think he was moved onto Doodee after half time to negate his intercept marking. What people need to understand is that the team play to a system and within that system some players have to perform a role where stats have no effect on how the coach judges them. Castagna is one of them.

Maybe confusing respect with an honest appraisal of where Castagna is atm. 1 goal in 6 games averages out to just over 3 goals a year. You can't carry any forward in that sort of form no matter how defensively well they're doing, which Castagna isn't doing so well anyway atm. GWS game likely saved his ass but has done little since. Baker, Shai and Aarts showed/showing how to play the role. Think he needs a rest to go back and find some form.
No, calling him useless and a waste of space is not an honest appraisal of where he's at. It is disrespectful. As for doubling down and basically calling Dimma clueless, that's plain laughable.

Aarts and Baker don't play the same role George does because they can't run like him. Only Rioli really does the same job. He has had a few spells to refresh, perhaps George needs one. Some might say he deserves one, given how tough and unappreciated his role can be.

I believe I read (maybe here) that since the start of 2017 he's played more games than anyone else in the comp. Considering he was a rookie with a handful of games, that's remarkable.

Anyone saying he's never been any good, is a waste of space etc. is not just disrespectful, they're flaunting their ignorance.

Reactions: 8 users
I believe I read (maybe here) that since the start of 2017 he's played more games than anyone else in the comp. Considering he was a rookie with a handful of games, that's remarkable.
Think he's played every game. Don't remember him getting dropped or injured.

George is a running link player..the best in the comp, due to his unmatched manic speed, but his role has been ruined by our loss of midfield control from injuries, loss of Lambo and Sheds especially , who are the instigators of run and gun in our team,and Riolis poor form.
When they all return and find Form, George will be back and be damaging.
Unfortunately his disposal is horrendous, comp worst.
He handballs and kicks the ball like it is a block of concrete. He needs to think of it as a newborn baby.

Reactions: 2 users