Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

He must be still doing something, I'm just not sure what it is.

He had 13 disposals which is not great but probably similar to his career average. It's his lack of scoreboard, slowing the game down and ineffective disposals that concern me.

And no, he's not useless. Just out of form or so it seems to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Think he's played every game. Don't remember him getting dropped or injured.
Footywire tells me he missed two games in 2018 and one in 2019.

I'm the last to use disposal numbers to argue a case but as AA just said, he had 13 v his career average of 12, and 1 less than Aarts, who many are lauding (I think he's doing well given his limitations).

If you gave me the choice between playing Jake Aarts and a 2 goal head start in a GF,

or George.

Id take George.

and I like Jake.

Reactions: 1 users
The boy needs a rest for his own sake. Needs to go back to the VFL and rediscover what offensive intent is all about. Please Damien, please!

I’d give him a spell but I don’t think Dimma will. I’d better have a word with him....

No, calling him useless and a waste of space is not an honest appraisal of where he's at. It is disrespectful. As for doubling down and basically calling Dimma clueless, that's plain laughable.

Aarts and Baker don't play the same role George does because they can't run like him. Only Rioli really does the same job. He has had a few spells to refresh, perhaps George needs one. Some might say he deserves one, given how tough and unappreciated his role can be.

I believe I read (maybe here) that since the start of 2017 he's played more games than anyone else in the comp. Considering he was a rookie with a handful of games, that's remarkable.

Anyone saying he's never been any good, is a waste of space etc. is not just disrespectful, they're flaunting their ignorance.
I don't think most have said historically he is useless but right now he is giving nothing.. I'm not sure where it is he's running to that is making him so valuable. Knowing where to run is far more valuable than how much you run. Kicking a goal or getting a goal assist every now and then would help. He's never been in such a slump before. Needs to find his form back at VFL level. Right now he looks far more limited than Aarts. And I'm sorry but in 1 game alone, baker showed out both Castagna and Rioli with both manic attack and supreme forward defence. BOG that day.

Leysy shakes his head that after all this time watching this dominant era some supporters still don't understand the basis that has made this team great.

It is based on everyone playing their role. George's assets are his pace, fitness, fast twitch fibres like change of direction so his impact and instruction is to harass and impact opposition possession chains.

He had the second most Pressure Points for us yesterday behind only Jack Graham. This is what the coaching staff look at with him and would have got him a tick for his performance. Possessions/goals are secondary. He is playing his cog in the engine.

When the former stops that is when his position in the team will come under scrutiny. That's not now and hasn't been for over 4 years now.

While we rightly continue to base our game on pressure George will continue to play whether deeper forward or further up the ground like recently.

Those sulking about his selection, be prepared to keep sulking and start understanding what makes this team great.

Reactions: 13 users
He's obviously playing a different role. He's not often at the feet of the packs going helter skelter, he arrives from far higher up the ground. But he must be playing his role because it was Rioli that was dropped, not George.

Leysy shakes his head that after all this time watching this dominant era some supporters still don't understand the basis that has made this team great.

It is based on everyone playing their role. George's assets are his pace, fitness, fast twitch fibres like change of direction so his impact and instruction is to harass and impact opposition possession chains.

He had the second most Pressure Points for us yesterday behind only Jack Graham. This is what the coaching staff look at with him and would have got him a tick for his performance. Possessions/goals are secondary. He is playing his cog in the engine.

When the former stops that is when his position in the team will come under scrutiny. That's not now and hasn't been for over 4 years now.

While we rightly continue to base our game on pressure George will continue to play whether deeper forward or further up the ground like recently.

Those sulking about his selection, be prepared to keep sulking and start understanding what makes this team great.

He did do a good job of propping up Jack for MOTY. And yeah it takes courage to stand in the front of a pack like that.

On the face of it not a great game from George but this coaching staff look for different things in their role players than possessions or goals.
My main concern with George though is that our pressure up front has been pretty ordinary this year & I wonder what impact the new rules have had on the effectiveness of Castagna & Rioli. Anyways the footy dept. will know whether he should remain or not.

He had the second most Pressure Points for us yesterday behind only Jack Graham.
Hi Leysy (or anyone else),

I have no idea what constitutes a pressure point.
Can you please educate me on how a player earns a pressure point from a statistician?

• Love
Hi Leysy (or anyone else),

I have no idea what constitutes a pressure point.
Can you please educate me on how a player earns a pressure point from a statistician?
Chris Judd is the pressure point king

Reactions: 3 users

I think everyone gets this. So Castagna had 22 pressure acts. So did Cotchin and Prestia, however they also influence the game with their skill. I think the question is, are there other more skilled players on the list that could come in provide the pressure George provides? If not then he stays in. If there is, he must be dropped.

Reactions: 2 users

I think everyone stopped reading your posts when you were pumping up Danny Meyer and Andy Collins as integral to our future.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I had a chuckle to myself immediately after Jacks mark went down......in the maelstrom of that magical moment our Captain Chaos was planted at the base of the pack. As all the bodies crashed and spilt around him George calmly stepped out of the chaos.

His pace will be important for us on Optus. Stays in.

Did provide a nice step ladder for Jack to take that spectacular mark - can't think of much else by way of contribution. Might be his turn for a week as the medical sub!

Creating one turnover from one quick little pressure act has the same impact on the game as a someone taking a huge intercept mark.

Has less impact on the viewer though.

I think everyone gets this. So Castagna had 22 pressure acts. So did Cotchin and Prestia, however they also influence the game with their skill. I think the question is, are there other more skilled players on the list that could come in provide the pressure George provides? If not then he stays in. If there is, he must be dropped.
I think it's more complicated then that. I don't think the opposition's backmen pay a huge amount of attention to Castagna purely because he's less skilled and out of form. So they're more likely to run off him than say he if was the calibre of Betts. This also allows the backmen to peel off him or stay deeper for the long ball in to help spoil. So it's one thing to apply pressure, there is value in that, and contrary to leysey's comment I think most do get it, but when you're not impacting the scoreboard whatsoever either by goals or goal assists, it makes the opponent even bolder and ultimately more damaging. Simply a forward has to have some scoreboard influence or they're failing their duty. 1 goal in 6 matches does not cut it. I think he's under pressure to keep his spot. Rule changes have definitely affected his influence. Pressure has less effect in more situations than it used to.