Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Yep to all of that.
He was named in the best for the Tigers.
Impressive stats too.
3 goals, 18 disposals, 10 kicks, 8 handballs, 12 marks and 1 tackle.
Great to see.
Play players where it favours there skill set and you get these results.
Castagna at Telstra dome stuck in the pocket isn't going to suit him.
But Optus oval in the open running towards goal was always going to suit him.
His best games seem to be at Optus.
I wouldn't be surprised the WA teams come knocking

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Its fair enough to debate the form of a player week to week, month to month, season to season.

But what is frustrating about the debate with George is that so many seem to measure him on goals and possessions.

After all these years of success, some dont seem to realise just how technical and nuanced the roles of our wings and half forwrad flankers are.

Anyway, he played well and got some scoreboard reward this week.

my problem with him in recent weeks was disposal, no handball hit a target.

Last night was a good return to form though.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Only when his performances were below par for a few weeks in a row.
Funny how George’s fanboys were quiet during that time. Obviously had nothing to back him with then. ;) and had to sweat on him lifting his game. Which he did.
Posted last week actually ;)

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Its fair enough to debate the form of a player week to week, month to month, season to season.

But what is frustrating about the debate with George is that so many seem to measure him on goals and possessions.

After all these years of success, some dont seem to realise just how technical and nuanced the roles of our wings and half forwrad flankers are.

Exactly LLH

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

Funny, some use those measurements for Rioli when it suits them.
But holding players accountable for their performances seems to differ on who the player is.
Before last nights game George was down on his performance by any measurement, technical, nuanced or any otherwise.

Does anyone think last nights game was an improvement on previous weeks form? Just a yes or no will do.

I for one am glad he’s lifted.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
But holding players accountable for their performances seems to differ on who the player is.
Before last nights game George was down on his performance by any measurement, technical, nuanced or any otherwise.

Does anyone think last nights game was an improvement on previous weeks form? Just a yes or no will do.

Exactly. Why is Rio heavily criticised every week when he's not seen and Castagna gets away with it?

My main criticism of him is the way he butchers the ball too often especially when under no pressure.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
He is an enigma.

Much better game and that goal from a set shot at 45m was astounding. Shows his kicking problems are between the ears because he can kick.

DS

Long Lost Hernaman

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 19, 2007

I dont think there is much variation week to week with George as to what he does when he doesnt have the ball.

To my mind thats the difference bwteeen he and Rioli.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I dont think there is much variation week to week with George as to what he does when he doesnt have the ball.

To my mind thats the difference bwteeen he and Rioli.
So what metrics is he measured on regarding performance? Care to answer?

Surely it’s his output and his input toward team targets. Not just goals and disposals. But tackles, shepherds, pressure acts, 1%ers, iI50’s, goal assists, clearances, clangers, score involvements etc. There are also the intangibles the closing down of space, the run to the wing and wing/defence that allows our wingers to cover and link in defence.

Funnily enough he wasn’t credited with a single 1%er and only had one tackle. But other facets of his game outweighed those numbers. I merely mention them because some will excuse his numbers but refer to the pressure he puts on. It was the opposite last night. He even had a DE of over 94% :D

With people commenting on George’s good game last night I think that’s an indicator that his output really improved.
He hasn’t been playing anywhere near that level. Nowhere near it. If people can comment on that improvement, surely they can also opine when he’s not playing well.

Barkdog

Tiger Rookie
May 5, 2004
Bendigo
Two of George's passes last night were brilliant, he actually kicked it to advantage and made the receiver run onto the ball in space....one went to Houli Dooley and ended up with Jack......not sure of the other. Dunno if it was his genius at play or not but it was really smart offensive footy

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I think he is 9.3 from set shots this year.

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
He does have one quirk that I find unique to AFL... his first instinct seems to be chest mark everything... rare to see arms out, which would make him interesting to defend against

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
only saw the bizarre last quarter,

when we seemed done,

until $hai put on a very special kind of show for 56,000 cousins.

But George seemed back? Proper George.