Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

So to recap the last 30 pages.
For the affirmative.
1. He’s fast.
2. He fills in holes.

For the negative.
1. He can’t kick.
2. He can’t handball.
3. He doesn’t get enough disposals.
4. He runs around in circles.
5. He gets in the way of our marking forwards and spoils their marks.
6. He doesn’t tackle.
7. He doesn’t provide enough pressure.

Great debate.
It looks close but think the affirmatives have it

You've missed the most important affirmative. He is living football performance art on a weekly basis. That alone justifies his selection imo.

Or

To paint things with beautiful efficiency,

Perhaps

George is simply there

To pick up Dusty’s opponent?

To apply logic to this ailing thread:

1) defending the ground is important to our coaching staff, and therefore the team

2) we have a couple of once in a generation ball users in Martin and Bolton

3) to maximise the frankly devastating weaponry these two possess, we give them free reign, often forward of the contest

4) if we are to do this, there must be a balance in the ledger. Dimma is nothing if not a sharp accounting mind

5) there is a clique of players within the squad who play selfless roles to balance out our offense. These players often do not trouble the statistician a great deal, but seek to hit internal KPIs. All clubs implement some form of this.

6) there are defensive contest players. Jack Graham would be looking to meet the oppo ball winning bull and tackle at every opportunity.

7) there are outlet wingers, gut runners like Pickett and KMac who are tasked with providing options on the fat side and supporting outlets from D50.

8) there are containment players who take the previous role a step further, starting in F50 and sprinting to deny easy oppo outlets from their own D50. Jake Aarts and yes, Jason Castagna perform containment roles.

9) the aforementioned containment roles are critical in slowing the aggressive ball movement the best sides are now deploying to take advantage of the stand rule. Our best teams over the past six years have always penalised fast movement like a fly hitting the spiders web. Our back seven is drilled to intercept, but ideally we wanna turn it over as close to our own F50 as possible. Wide containment funnels the pill where we want it to go - where Nankervis, Prestia, Edwards and finally Bolton / Martin are waiting in sequence.

10) the nature of George and Jake’s containment roles perversely result in fewer possessions than others because if they contain effectively they will inevitably be …

where the ball is not

for much of the game.

Now is that enough logic for y’all or do we need Coburg to preach to us again on George’s chronic inability to run?
Think I got it.
Except for the bit after applying logic to this ailing thread.

All jokes aside, you’re trying far too hard to defend the indefensible.
With such low possession numbers, George simply cannot afford to drop chest marks, fumble, miss targets by foot or hand ball to a team mates ankles ( if it gets that close )
Reckon George is a dead man walking. Whatever role you suggest he’s performing, think it’s only a matter of time until someone is ready to replace him. A fast player with skill would be a massive upgrade.
In the meantime, he plays

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Think I got it.
Except for the bit after applying logic to this ailing thread.

All jokes aside, you’re trying far too hard to defend the indefensible.
With such low possession numbers, George simply cannot afford to drop chest marks, fumble, miss targets by foot or hand ball to a team mates ankles ( if it gets that close )
Reckon George is a dead man walking. Whatever role you suggest he’s performing, think it’s only a matter of time until someone is ready to replace him. A fast player with skill would be a massive upgrade.
In the meantime, he plays

If your position is that George will play until someone better comes along, then… yes?

Reactions: 1 user
I have been educated and stand corrected.

It is here I have learned that George is not an elite runner. I’m fact, he is so slow the other players have showered and gone 12 rounds of hacky sack by the time George has rounded the tan. He’s so mind-numbingly slow that people think he’s a stationary mime artist and give him coins.

Those who “sit on his wing” and “watch him all game” provide me with these nuggets of truth. George’s pace is a furphy, they say, a mirage that has enchanted us for several years now.

Than you, PRE. I now see the light.

Hardwick must go for allowing selection to be so compromised.
Sure.

I guess if you can't logically argue a point, you can always make up another one to rail against.

Never have I ever called, nor would I ever call him slow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If your position is that George will play until someone better comes along, then… yes?
You won’t have to wait too long

Judson Clarke (13 disposals, five marks, one goal)

"Kicked one of the better goals you'll see at VFL level. He really does stand out with his ball use and composure, and he continues to develop into a very good player."

You won’t have to wait too long

Judson Clarke (13 disposals, five marks, one goal)

"Kicked one of the better goals you'll see at VFL level. He really does stand out with his ball use and composure, and he continues to develop into a very good player."
Do you realise what George would do at VFL level with his level of fitness and game?

He'd be getting 20 plus and kicking 3 plus goals every week.

I don't think people appreciate the gulf that exists between AFL and VFL

Do you realise what George would do at VFL level with his level of fitness and game?

The point being that George can’t do that at AFL level and think Clarke will be able to given time and development

The day George gets dumped will be a sad day for The Tigers. George reminds me of a guy at West Cokers Rowan Jones. Eagle supporters were always calling for his blood but when the manure hit the fan who was there Rowan. Won a Premiership by being there when needed.

Didn't he get dropped last year?
I guess he played the vfl match. Dont recall a standout 3+ goal game.

TBH I've forgotten most of last year. Horrible year.
Ive looked it up, dropped 5 August against north

I’d be prepared to put that to the test

I am not a great George fan,but for some stupid reason I reckon this ground will suit him and he will kick a few.????????????????

being a smaller ground the goals take up a higher fraction of the circumference so a slightly smaller chance of out on the fulls

• Haha
Bump.

Where's the spot filler? Spackle? 0 disposals on a small ground and I still can't see him on TV.

Please help.

Reactions: 2 users