Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
This is the trick, you have to watch George play live and on TV at the same time...

Only then will you begin to understand
But....if he runs two ways, he keeps disappearing off the screen. He's like a ghost. We need infra-red TVs.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Like many, you don't understand the qualities the coaching staff require to play George's role.

Number 1 - Absolutely pre-requisite is burst run 16 kms every match. Do that and only then can you be considered.

He is not a small forward. He plays way higher and runs from goal square to defensive 50 and back again - ALL MATCH.

Syd can't do it. Nor can Cumberland.

Clarke is the only one on the list that might in time.

Other than that it will only be a new coach that might see George on the outer. Slow learners should know after 2 or so VFL games in 5 years he belongs and will stay at AFL level for us.

our game is starting to come together, Roar.

I reckon our coaches have been looking to find ways to defend the stand rule all summer.

I also reckon we held some tactical things back for the Melbourne game. keep that powder dry for the next time we play them.

the west coast game was the one where we got the balance right at selection.

- forward pressure with MRJ (and Stack in that game)

- balta and baker back to shore up the magnificent 7

- short into midfield

- two rucks

this allows us to win more ball in midfield, repel more at D50, defend more effectively in F50. teams are no longer lining up to slice us on transition.

the critical 'wide containment' part of this equation is supplied by George and some others. this is why he is one of the first selected despite the absence of Diesel like hand passes and ten million tackles.

we are starting to look more like the ALL-GROUND defensive unit of 2017-2020. *despite* the stand rule and 666.

and people still complain about George. sheesh.

I sit next to George's wing. For 2 quarters a game anyway. It's more George's pocket.

It's Kmacs wing.

One of the many great myths about Castagna is his running.

He does not run 16 km a game. He barely breaks 13 on his best. Which is about average for an AFL player.

Just this year, there have been games where all of Graham, Broad even Parker, RCD and Gibcus have run higher kms than him. And always players like McIntosh, Pickett and Rioli do.

Which all matches what I'm seeing at the ground.

He's not so good of a runner that others couldn't play his role.

There are other players who can fill space on the fat side of the ground.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I sit next to George's wing. For 2 quarters a game anyway. It's more George's pocket.

It's Kmacs wing.

He does not run 16 km a game. He barely breaks 13 on his best. Which is about average for an AFL player.

Just this year, there have been games where all of Graham, Broad even Parker, RCD and Gibcus have run higher kms than him. And always players like McIntosh, Pickett and Rioli do.

Yep. Dash Kam and Pickett are the only 2 way runners I see who make an impact with assists/scoring/tackling.

Reactions: 1 user

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012

this has to be the most ludicrously pungent statements I've seen on here for some time.

it's like you found week-old lamb rogan josh in the fridge, ate it, squatted over a bucket, let rip for fifteen feverish minutes, let the bucket sit in the driveway for a weekend, lifted the hard crust, vomited from the smell into the bucket, blew a couple of snot rods into it, then poured the contents into that post.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
needless to say

there is endurance running, 200m up and down the wings, KMac and Pickett style.

and there is repeat sprinting, flat out, to fill space, again and again, all game.

repeat sprints. may not get you the km award some here so fervently expect George to get, but one of the hardest tests of mental discipline.

but george still gets around. he starts in F50 due to 666 but we often see him providing a link from D50.

some real crap on here.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
needless to say

and there is repeat sprinting, flat out, to fill space, again and again, all game.

repeat sprints. may not get you the km award some here so fervently expect George to get, but one of the hardest tests of mental discipline.

but george still gets around. he starts in F50 due to 666 but we often see him providing a link from D50.

some real crap on here.
'To fill space' ? Just sounds like he's literally running around in circles. :mhihi

How does it benefit the team? We don't see him as a link any more than Pickett or Dash Kam.

Where's that lively forward we saw up to 2019? Goals and tackles have dropped in last 2 seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

It's Kmacs wing.

Who are these other players?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Like many, you don't understand the qualities the coaching staff require to play George's role.

Number 1 - Absolutely pre-requisite is burst run 16 kms every match. Do that and only then can you be considered.

He is not a small forward. He plays way higher and runs from goal square to defensive 50 and back again - ALL MATCH.

Syd can't do it. Nor can Cumberland.

Clarke is the only one on the list that might in time.

Other than that it will only be a new coach that might see George on the outer. Slow learners should know after 2 or so VFL games in 5 years he belongs and will stay at AFL level for us.
#1 Seriously 16km of burst running? I'd love to see the proof. Tom scully has 8 of the Top 10 ever and his 10th best was 17.2km. I have never seen Castagna listed as top 5 in game reviews.

#2 for a high forward he is inconspicuously missing a lot. I hardly ever see him in the backline until the last quarter. He rarely goes there. Defensive half pressure acts on Saturday. MRJ 8, Castagna 2. Previous week MRJ 3, Castagna 0. If he's back there so much what's he actually doing? MRJ has shown him out.

I agree Cumberland isn't a Castagna but I think he could potentially provide a lot more than Castagna. Will never find out if chances aren't given as a reward for good form.

Bit of a throwaway line regarding slow learners. I think most of us are fully aware of Castagna's past value as a player. One of his key assets was his defensive pressure. He was always up there. He's been at the bottom this year. He's just not providing enough imo and I like to see players rewarded for good form.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Was the first goal George himself shovelling the ball out from the bottom of the pack?

Not entirely convincing was it? Did it show connected and teamwork?

My argument isn't the role or Castagna's individual capabilities, more that he appears to be out of sync with his teammates and a disruptor in our chains of attack
Absolutely, this is something the learned live game and TV watchers don't understand. He is a game disruptor and it is costly.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
this has to be the most ludicrously pungent statements I've seen on here for some time.

it's like you found week-old lamb rogan josh in the fridge, ate it, squatted over a bucket, let rip for fifteen feverish minutes, let the bucket sit in the driveway for a weekend, lifted the hard crust, vomited from the smell into the bucket, blew a couple of snot rods into it, then poured the contents into that post.

needless to say

some real crap on here.

Yes, you've mentioned a number of times how funny you find farts.

Okay, so we've moved again from total kms to repeat sprints.

Well, he wasn't in the top 5 for total spirits or repeat sprints either. So... Next?

Here's the thing, I'm not saying George doesn't run. Or that he's a poor runner. Or that he doesn't play a role.

It's just that he's not an elite runner, or even the best we have.

Which is not necessarily a fair thing to expect of a footballer. But he's a poor user, a poor decision maker, one of our statistically worst pressure players and tacklers. I would think that would necessitate that he be an elite runner. And he's just pretty good.

I think people on here tie themselves in knots trying, fancifully imagining things that they pretend are happening to make sense of the story.

I think it's a bit simpler than all of that.

There is obviously a reason that George has his place cemented in the side. I think it's more straightforward and less tangible than all the fabrication about fat side repeat sprinting.

1. He's an established player in the specific age bracket which we lack players. He has a level of experience in between players like Jack and Bolton that's probably the weakest demographic on our list.

2. He knows the system, game plan and team rules, and does exactly as instructed.

3. He's a brilliant team man. Team mates love him and he's culturally important.

There are qualities and facets of football teams which are almost organic. And certainly invisible to the outside observer.

The most convincing suggestion I've ever seen for his inclusion is that the team wants him in.

The most ridiculous suggestion is that he is somehow the world's most exceptional traffic cone and gets a game on that.

That the players want to play with him, is honestly probably enough for me. But what's the point of these forums if I can't pontificate on:

Out: Castagna
In: Banks

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
His heat map is an igloo that leaves an entry hole for our f50 entries. Not sure anyone else in AFL can do that. A251B2AE-4A9E-4109-85E9-591C3AD40A74.jpeg

• Haha

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Yes, you've mentioned a number of times how funny you find farts.

Okay, so we've moved again from total kms to repeat sprints.

Well, he wasn't in the top 5 for total spirits or repeat sprints either. So... Next?

Here's the thing, I'm not saying George doesn't run. Or that he's a poor runner. Or that he doesn't play a role.

It's just that he's not an elite runner, or even the best we have.

Which is not necessarily a fair thing to expect of a footballer. But he's a poor user, a poor decision maker, one of our statistically worst pressure players and tacklers. I would think that would necessitate that he be an elite runner. And he's just pretty good.

I think people on here tie themselves in knots trying, fancifully imagining things that they pretend are happening to make sense of the story.

I think it's a bit simpler than all of that.

There is obviously a reason that George has his place cemented in the side. I think it's more straightforward and less tangible than all the fabrication about fat side repeat sprinting.

1. He's an established player in the specific age bracket which we lack players. He has a level of experience in between players like Jack and Bolton that's probably the weakest demographic on our list.

2. He knows the system, game plan and team rules, and does exactly as instructed.

3. He's a brilliant team man. Team mates love him and he's culturally important.

There are qualities and facets of football teams which are almost organic. And certainly invisible to the outside observer.

The most convincing suggestion I've ever seen for his inclusion is that the team wants him in.

The most ridiculous suggestion is that he is somehow the world's most exceptional traffic cone and gets a game on that.

That the players want to play with him, is honestly probably enough for me. But what's the point of these forums if I can't pontificate on:

Out: Castagna
In: Banks

So he gets senior games in an elite, billion dollar industry because he’s in the right age bracket and he’s popular?

Lol this just gets better and better.