Welcome Tom Brown | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tom Brown

What are we saying here? That he’s done?
I’d have him in before Young myself
Grimes played well in what R1?
Not that long ago.
Long season ahead. I'm glad we're giving the young defenders a shot and giving warriors like Dylan plenty of time to recover and come back fresh.
(Except Prestia)
Thats the way forward this season imo, giving plenty of rest to our older fellas

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I forgot Fawcett, but thought they were planning on using Bauer back. I don't think he's a genuine key either.
I'm thinking more Lynch, smash the pack apart, types
For Lynch types.Do exactly how we got Lynch in the 1st place.

Reactions: 1 user
For Lynch types.Do exactly how we got Lynch in the 1st place.
Do you mean bypassing him in the draft for a mildly above average mid and then getting him as a free agent 7 yrs later?
I'd prefer we get someone young and build em up. We tried a nab free agent approach (rumours board, 2 forwards coming). It backfired.
You need to be competitive and have lots of $$$ in your cap. I think that's a hard balance to get right.
How many clubs have nabbed a big name free agent who's then gone on to win them a premiership and play a numbers of years? I can think of Lynch, maybe Cameron at Geelong, Melbourne's key defender?

Do you mean bypassing him in the draft for a mildly above average mid and then getting him as a free agent 7 yrs later?
I'd prefer we get someone young and build em up. We tried a nab free agent approach (rumours board, 2 forwards coming). It backfired.
You need to be competitive and have lots of $$$ in your cap. I think that's a hard balance to get right.
How many clubs have nabbed a big name free agent who's then gone on to win them a premiership and play a numbers of years? I can think of Lynch, maybe Cameron at Geelong, Melbourne's key defender?
I'd rather know what we're getting when a KP is 25 than at 18.Get your midfield right.Thats the key.Look at the Pies.They won a flag with a B grade fwd line(KPs)
Sure it backfired recently but a side coming off an era like we did,I can see why we were knocked back.
By all means use our later picks on a KP.We may fluke one.

I'd rather know what we're getting when a KP is 25 than at 18.Get your midfield right.Thats the key.Look at the Pies.They won a flag with a B grade fwd line(KPs)
Sure it backfired recently but a side coming off an era like we did,I can see why we were knocked back.
By all means use our later picks on a KP.We may fluke one.
Not many All-Australian 3rd round or rookie key forwards. I get your point they don't need to be Coleman medallists, but not much quality at that back end.

Grimes will only be there for this year. Need to have someone that can play a role after that.
Understand that but we should then drop McKintosh, Pickett, delist Prestia and don’t play Graham if we’re taking a unilateral approach to player development.
Grimes is still best 22 so not sure why we wouldn’t play him if he’s fit.

Cameron was a trade.

Cameron was a trade.
So were May and Lever. So was moral Norm Smith Medallist Tom Boyd, So was Josh Kennedy (albeit a bargain pick up in the Judd trade). So was Jack Gunston. So was Barry Hall. So was Alastair Lynch.

Premiership teams with traded-in key forwards are more the norm than the exception, at least this century.

By all means, draft Jack Riewoldt when you get the chance, but they're hard to find, especially when they're unproven children. And they don't come along very often. Known quantities are known.

Reactions: 3 users
So were May and Lever. So was moral Norm Smith Medallist Tom Boyd, So was Josh Kennedy (albeit a bargain pick up in the Judd trade). So was Jack Gunston. So was Barry Hall. So was Alastair Lynch.

Premiership teams with traded-in key forwards are more the norm than the exception, at least this century.

By all means, draft Jack Riewoldt when you get the chance, but they're hard to find, especially when they're unproven children. And they don't come along very often. Known quantities are known.
For every Jackmond there's a few Scott Gumbletons and Mitch Thorpes. Take the punt if you can but there are certainly no guarantees.

Reactions: 1 users
Cameron was a trade.
Good point. He was a restricted free agent wasn't he? So Geelong did a trade to ensure they got their man, and GWS forced it so they got better compensation?

I’m coming around.
Has levelled up. Big improvement in his contested football.
Bravo

Reactions: 2 users