What is jack martin worth and should we grab im ?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What is jack martin worth and should we grab im ??

What is jack martin worth and should we grab im ??

• End of 1st

• 2nd

• One of our late 2nd picks

• 3rd or 4th

• Pre season or rookie

• Don’t want im

• Cheese sandwich

Results are only viewable after voting.
We got robbed on Ellis
But we got lynch for conca so ...
Yes, upon reflecting deeply, I think we did fairly well on that deal. ;)

However, further credit to our club, we have sent three decent players back to GCS on the cheap; at least two of them are/will prove to be very good value. Even CEllis may not be done yet if he gets over injuries.

[Of course, it pays to keep in the good books with the Suns ... might just be another superstar or two wanting out of there in the future. But that sure ain't the category that Jack M falls into]

You have to wonder, are Carlton going to need to pay him more now that they couldn't get a trade done, to snuff out any chance that Melbourne take him?

Was the saving in draft position really worth that much? Their salary cap in a few years will be bursting and I suspect they won't be able to keep them all.

Sounds like a Pies / Beams deal, bring someone in and lose someone (or a few someones) that you actually want to keep due to bringing in someone that doesn't add that much.

So how does the AFL ensure Martin's management quote the same price for all clubs, rather than a bogus one for the Blooze only, on the sly, e.g. $550K?
Or do they even oversee it at all?

Poor Carlton supporters having a bloke like Silivagni steering the ship.
Cochrane should bend him over.
Anything under 699. Martin is staying.
Then let Silivagni explain to the faithful he just paid 700k on a kid that has done no more Ben Lennon did in his career.
Dodoro and Silivagni are just tragic list managers.
Always overating their own, but akways trying to get everything on the cheap.
Let them stay there for life.

Apparently the Blue had a sook to the AFL over them thinking the Suns were unfair in trade negotiations. For once Tony Cochrane made sense, he claimed all along they wanted a 1st rounder, he added that if Blues want to pay him so much money why do they only consider him worthy of a 2nd rounder then.

Reactions: 2 users
Just how does the nominating a price work these days?
Does J. M. nominate $ 700 for just one season n then negotiate a new deal after he gets to the Bloosers, or does he nominate $700 for year one to keep other clubs away, n $300 a year for the next two years averaging to approx $435 per year over the three years.
Can't see to many clubs that might be interested struggling to match the total payments over a three year period, but the front loading would stop most. Also fraught with danger if a club pays massive overs year one for mediocrity or the player packs up n runs after copping all the loot early.

Apparently the Blue had a sook to the AFL over them thinking the Suns were unfair in trade negotiations. For once Tony Cochrane made sense, he claimed all along they wanted a 1st rounder, he added that if Blues want to pay him so much money why do they only consider him worthy of a 2nd rounder then.

Exackery, that'd be the first time I've heard him speak sense.

Just how does the nominating a price work these days?
Does J. M. nominate $ 700 for just one season n then negotiate a new deal after he gets to the Bloosers, or does he nominate $700 for year one to keep other clubs away, n $300 a year for the next two years averaging to approx $435 per year over the three years.
Can't see to many clubs that might be interested struggling to match the total payments over a three year period, but the front loading would stop most. Also fraught with danger if a club pays massive overs year one for mediocrity or the player packs up n runs after copping all the loot early.
good question(s). Any nominated figure would have to be included in TPP regardless of what they actually get paid. Dunno what happens beyond the first year though - do they nominate a length of contract too?

$700,000 a year for a player that couldn't get a game for the worst team in the comp.

Bizarre times.

Not sure it is $700K. Heard $600K which still seems like too much. But it appears Carlton will get him in the PSD. Melbourne only going to take him if he shws interest in going to then which he won't.

I’m sure he,ll end up at Carlton. How many times has a player not ended up going where he wanted to go in this scenario?
Nick Steven, Barry Mitchell, Jade Rawlings....any others?

We have to ask, will having Jack Martin significantly improve our best 22 probably paying over the odds for him? I my opinion the answer is no.

Reactions: 1 user
If Martin was smart, he’d look to go to a club that will help him develop to his potential. We’d be right in that mix and he is a quality player.

He reminds me of Tambling, and i’d hate to see his career go that way. My brother who lives in Darwin and played a lot of footy up there and scouted for an AFL club is adamant to this day that Tambling was the most gifted junior footballer he had ever seen by a considerable margin but that did not translate into a good AFL player. I have watched Martin at Claremont and he is class, but he needs to go to the right club now. I just don’t think Carlton is that club, and I see the money demand as insecurity on Martin’s part more than anything else.

Reactions: 1 user
If Martin was smart he'd get what he can money-wise. He just isn't THAT good. Tambling was the same. He had poor decision-making skills at the top level. Many players excel at junior level but just can't improve enough to make it at AFL level.