What is your preferred ruck combination for the Finals? And Why? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What is your preferred ruck combination for the Finals? And Why?

What is your referred ruck combination for the Finals? And Why?

• Nank and Chol

Votes: 75 73.5%
  • Nank and Soldo

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Soldo and Chol

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Nank on his own

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Soldo on his own

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Cheese Sandwich

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Could we keep all 3 up our sleeve and pick the two that gives us the best match up against the opposition as we go

Nanks and Grigg but Grigg has retired so I'm going Stack. He can do everything else so why not ruck?

Reactions: 1 users
The fact is in the last 5 games we have beaten the opposition once only for hitouts so we're not dominant whatsoever but the question is whether this would be better than Nanks and does the extra output in the ruck contest outweight the extra benefit Nanks provides around the ground. Here are the ruck stats in last 5 games.

Our hitouts 21 and 8 to advantage to Pies 42/17
34/9 to Port 24/7 - we won this one
33/5 to GWS 45/13
34/12 to GC 45/12
27/7 to Saints 34/14

As far as midfield output is concerned I just think being better structured with players coming back has helped our cause and reflected in us being able to better execute our gameplan.

Hit outs are important but what are our clearance rates doing since Soldo and Chol took over the ruck duties?

The big balkan nullified Lycett and Grundy in consecutive weeks. The MC would have noticed.

And I'd play him against Gawn this week. Gawn is the worst possible matchup for Nank first up.

I think Chol is the certainty in either situation. Big Smooth is X-Factor.

Nank wont be playing against Melbourne he needs more time and work.

Adductor tendon tears are not great.

Tendons are notoriously slow to heal and the adductor tendon takes all stress through the groin.

Wouldn't be surprised to see nank out for another fortnight.

Choldo deserves this week against the #goDees after its fine performances the past month.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeps. Nank hasn't even played a full game in the two's yet. Since the Choldo combo is working for now, let Nank keep building strength.

For me it depends on who we play at the time. We need talls for sure as we have struggled against tall marking players Mason,Naughton to mention two.But the sooner Nanks gets a run the better.

Soldo and Chol for mine. Nankervis a very good player and a terrific contributor in 17 and 18.
In those years we found a way to win without winning tap outs.
Soldo is a much better tap ruck and has improved his game around the ground. Chol has great ability and is a lock for 2nd ruck.
Close call but I would have Soldo with Chol and possibly Balta off the bench.

Nank and Chol for mine. The fact that we are debating this shows how much improvement that Soldo has had with several weeks of football. We are building nice depth in this area.

Reactions: 1 user
When healthy it’s Nank all day everyday.... may not have the hit out numbers but once the ball hits the deck he is elite.
And has yet to play with a serious second ruck like Chol so reckon we get the games with the 2 of them before finals

Nank is a certainty to return when fully fit (I doubt this week). Chol will hold his spot as long as his form holds.
We will not play Nank and Soldo together. in theory we could, only having both of then on the field the 10-20% of game time either Jack or Lynch are off, but if we were to get an injury early we would be horribly exposed if forced to play one of them forward, alongside the the 2 talls.

In his presser today Hardwick indicated a Soldo/nank lineup was possible with nank taking the opposition's backup ruckman. I like this idea.

Initially said Nank and Marbs but maybe all three have a role in the finals depending on the situation

Pretty comfortable that as long as we have a reasonable run with injury we are very competitive

See our weakness as effective clearances and we may need to be flexible here depending on the circumstances