What is your preferred ruck combination for the Finals? And Why? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What is your preferred ruck combination for the Finals? And Why?

What is your referred ruck combination for the Finals? And Why?

• Nank and Chol

Votes: 75 73.5%
  • Nank and Soldo

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Soldo and Chol

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Nank on his own

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Soldo on his own

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Cheese Sandwich

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nank is a must. He has the ability to hold onto marks in both back and forward. So this is a plus, however, we still need another or both pending circumstances. Our objective is to win clearance above 50%, if we do this, we normally win comfortably.

Until recently, I would have said no to playing Nank and Soldo together. Now, I'm leaning that way. Soldo gives our mids first use and imagine Nank taking over for the last 10 minutes each quarter against a tiring #1 or inferior #2 ruck.

I would like to have a look at both the Soldo/Nank and Nank/Chol combos.

Reactions: 1 user
Until recently, I would have said no to playing Nank and Soldo together. Now, I'm leaning that way. Soldo gives our mids first use and imagine Nank taking over for the last 10 minutes each quarter against a tiring #1 or inferior #2 ruck.

I would like to have a look at both the Soldo/Nank and Nank/Chol combos.
Reckon Nando is the way to go. Nankervis relief ruck, moving forward and dropping back with the extra energy would be a weapon. You don't lose much on the ground also with nank.

This referred ruckman is developing

Into a fully blown conundrum.

Im swinging like a queensland voter on monkey bars at a wife swapping night.

Option 1; Nankdo: grind 2 oppo rucks down. Tantalising finals combo. Grunt, Muscle, Huge Eastern European North Tasmanian. Compromise pace

Option 2; Cholkervis: 2 bob each way: grind and contest of Nank with X factor. A Sudanese Tassie rare beast. Compromise reliability

Option 3; Nank: a one headed georgetown premiership warrior. Relief from Caddy or Kmac whoever wins the sept wing. High Risk High Return.

*smile* if i know?

Reactions: 2 users
Aah, the ruck is certainly a difficult position to fill these days.

What we face in the very best rucks are players over 200cm (about 6'7' or 6'8'" in a measure I understand) and mobile, like Grundy who is 202cm.

This is where I wonder about players like Balta in the ruck, he's 194cm, to put that in context he is 5cm (2 inches) shorter than Lynch. CCJ is 200, Chol 200 and mobile (hence the potential), Nank is 199 and Soldo 204cm. Has 194cm become too short for the ruck? Jack Dyer was about 6' and a ruck, that's about 184cm.

On form it's looking like Nank and Soldo. Both have years of footy left with Nank 24 and Soldo 23. Chol is 22 so another year of development could really pay dividends.

Then there is the question of how many we can fit in the side which is heavily influenced by what they can do apart from centre bounce hit outs. Soldo is improving and could yet be very useful. Why not do what Collingwood do and put your tallest player on the mark when the opposition kick for goal, seems to put a lot of players off.

At least we do seem to be developing decent rucks but holding on to the ones we need to keep is looking like an issue.

DS

Mabs and Little Ivvy have something in common. It looks like they can't switch on. Been that way for years.

And against Melbourne we saw them both asleep for 20 or 40 minutes. But they did lift after that. It's like youth is the root cause.

Little Ivvy was monstered by the Goldstein/Larkey combo just a few weeks ago.

I thought he countered Grundy last week and went at leat that well against Gawne.

Is it true that there's no such thing as a good ruck? Soldo did fine against two legends. In his less than twentieth game.

Mabs. Lynch lifted after Mabs was played.

This is very much a judgement call. I like the way Soldo lifts. Mabs a bit later. But he lifts. I prefer the fit players.

Nank is better around the ground than he is given credit for , playing first ruck don’t get to see enough of it,

if he did play second ruck he might just get underestimated and cause some damage particularly drifting forward , likes to take a mark and kick a goal

Soldo's effectiveness against Grundy and Gawn has been helped by rain. On a dry night he would have been killed. And he's not getting us first hands on the ball. We're still losing the hitouts by a fair margin. So it's Nank over Soldo, and I don't think we can play both.

Chol provides a different look but his efforts are inconsistent and he's also monstered in the ruck. I'm coming around to the notion that CuJo has him covered, both as a ruck and a forward. CuJo played some smart footy against Essendon but was also a bit light for the big time, but since then in the VFL he seems to have become bigger and better.

I doubt the MC will do a double change at this late stage of the season but that's where I'm seeing the balance and ability as it stands.

NanCJo for 2020 if not before.

Nanks is first ruck. You can't go any other way. People forget how good he is in top form. This is the premiership ruckman who basically rucked on his own in 2017. Question is who backs him up. After the last few weeks of comparing Soldo and Chol value I'd go Soldo. Question is where does he play when he's not rucking? He wouldn't surely get more than 50% game time which potentially affects our rotations. Really wish CCJ was a little bit more experienced. To me that is the ultimate setup, Nanks and CCJ.

Soldo's effectiveness against Grundy and Gawn has been helped by rain. On a dry night he would have been killed. And he's not getting us first hands on the ball. We're still losing the hitouts by a fair margin. So it's Nank over Soldo, and I don't think we can play both.

Chol provides a different look but his efforts are inconsistent and he's also monstered in the ruck. I'm coming around to the notion that CuJo has him covered, both as a ruck and a forward. CuJo played some smart footy against Essendon but was also a bit light for the big time, but since then in the VFL he seems to have become bigger and better.

I doubt the MC will do a double change at this late stage of the season but that's where I'm seeing the balance and ability as it stands.

NanCJo for 2020 if not before.

Agree with the rain being a factor too but you could say that about the whole team - we are 4-5 goals better in the wet. I dare say you may be right next year re CCJ.

Chol a goal a game since he's come in. X factor and a very handy different look up forward. How do they cover all 3? Looking forward to seeing this against McGov/Barrass in 2 weeks time. Chol's intensity still needs to lift but Nank-Chol for me. Although another few more Cristiano Re-Soldo type goals and I may change my mind.

Mabs and Little Ivvy have something in common. It looks like they can't switch on. Been that way for years.

And against Melbourne we saw them both asleep for 20 or 40 minutes. But they did lift after that. It's like youth is the root cause.

Little Ivvy was monstered by the Goldstein/Larkey combo just a few weeks ago.

I thought he countered Grundy last week and went at leat that well against Gawne.

Is it true that there's no such thing as a good ruck? Soldo did fine against two legends. In his less than twentieth game.

Mabs. Lynch lifted after Mabs was played.

This is very much a judgement call. I like the way Soldo lifts. Mabs a bit later. But he lifts. I prefer the fit players.

Did Dyer'ere succumb in the site migration?

Reactions: 1 user
Did Dyer'ere succumb in the site migration?
Dyer'ere is a wordsmith. He appreciates the true art of Robbie Williams' lyrics.

For instance, Robbie's ode to the Tigers' years in the finals wilderness, and the sweet relief of 2017, in Angels:

I sit and wait.
Does an angel contemplate my fate?
And do they know
The places where we go
When we're grey and old?
'Cause I have been told
That salvation lets their wings unfold.

Yes, our resident poet Dyer'ere loves Robbie Williams.

I'm happy to revert to the sole ruck plan. Solves the Caddy dilemma and how to fit all our mids in.

eg

Broad Grimes Astbury
Flossy Rance Houli/Short
Shed Cotchin Bolton
Rioli Castagna Stack
Jack Lynch Caddy

Nank Martin Prestia

Lambert Ross Graham Pickett

I'm happy to revert to the sole ruck plan. Solves the Caddy dilemma and how to fit all our mids in.

eg

Broad Grimes Astbury
Flossy Rance Houli/Short
Shed Cotchin Bolton
Rioli Castagna Stack
Jack Lynch Caddy

Nank Martin Prestia

Lambert Ross Graham Pickett

Houli still on your fringe Lambsfry?
Gee you’re a hard man to please.
I do however totally agree with you and would have one of Caddy or McKintosh relieving in the ruck for 10 minutes a quarter. You can’t possibly convince me that other than the centre bounce that they couldn’t be more effective around the ground than Soldo or Chol.
And can I please be devils advocate and clear up the notion that Gawn didn’t destroy them on Saturday night? They barely halved one single marking contest against him. Please hurry back Nanks.