Who will rue this more | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who will rue this more

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
Tigers.... peak of powers, potential dynasty
Eagles... constantly good but aging
Pies.... bloody close for last 2 years
Cats.... rolled the dice all in for this year

who will rue this modified, missed year the most?
Discuss.....

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
On the other hand, if this had happened in 1990, we would have been history.
Don't want to make too much of comparison with SOS and all that is going on today but mentioning 1990 brings back memories of the circumstances I found out.
I had been on an 8 week holiday in the wilds of Canada and Alaska... Pre any Comms...postcard home once a week, ring home in an emergency only (unlike 21st century travellers who virtually live stream every waking minute of their travels) .. absolutely no idea what was brewing on the other side of the Pacific.
The Last Saturday before I was due home I rang my mate to let him know I was back in civilisation and ready to fly home in time to be best man at his wedding later in the week. Was Sunday morning here and his fiancé answered and said he was at the MCG for a rally as Richmond was broke. It just echoed down the line, totally stunned. That was rug pulled out from under me stuff. In its own context was same emotions...how did we get to this, what can we do, what if can't recover , will I cope etc etc...
But to keep the analogy going, we needed all to sacrifice our $ , even others who weren't impacted (fans of other clubs) realised that they weren't better off if the Tigers folded, we United behind a determined leader, we went the course, I presume VFL provided some concessions and generous terms (though I think then the banks were in their own world of pain and were forcing us to a bail out)

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
On the other hand, if this had happened in 1990, we would have been history.
Wondering if we had far less to lose then .... Players were still semi pro.... Non playing payroll and other overheads maybe 5% of today.... Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose...

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Tigers.... peak of powers, potential dynasty
Eagles... constantly good but aging
Pies.... bloody close for last 2 years
Cats.... rolled the dice all in for this year

who will rue this modified, missed year the most?
Discuss.....
Cats: Went all in. Had the oldies go around again and brought in Stevens & Jenkins.

Reactions: 1 user

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Cats will simply miss the embarrassment of failure.

Tiges, GWS, Weagles and P!ss the only ones with the window open. (And for the P!ss it's just the little window above the dunny that's not big enough to let the stink out.)

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Virtually impossible to answer.

Richmond, clearly a missed opportunity but we have an argument that we are likely to have missed a flag.
Eagles, clearly a chance this year, again, missed opportunity.
Collingwood, would have to say less of a chance than Richmond and WCE but still, list not getting better, makes losing the 2018 GF even worse in a way.
Geelong, can claim they were contenders, probably not so bad for them as I can't see that they would have been a contender right at the end.
GWS should be included, no chance for redemption, clearly contenders.

DS

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I'd say Geesook apart from the RFC

We have next year still but I'd say 20 and 21 would be the best chances we have left.

The extra year will hurt the Cats with their aging stars and no games to get into youngsters this year.

This year off will help invigorate our boys and make them hungry again in 21 just in case any satiety had crept in.

We start 21in the same physical nick as everyone else will no hangover.

Last edited:

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
For mine the Eagles will have the biggest regret for the lost season, then the Pies.

Both would think themselves right in the mix, but both have ageing lists. The Eagles in particular don’t seem to have a lot of younger talent coming through, and their key players are surprisingly old. Gaff turns 28 in June.

I think I read somewhere that half their best 22 comes out of contract at the end of this year, and no doubt a few of them would have been moved on if they’d won this year’s flag. Their defence looks vulnerable to me.

Pies ageing to, not as bad as West Coast. Cats are delusional if they think they are near a flag. Big difference between making prelims and being a true flag contender, as they keep finding out. Saddled with a coach whose negativity must hold them back.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Us.
We are on top of the tree.
We had a full list avaliable
90% of our players competed a full preseason.

This is another thing to add to the Renaming we have copped since winning it in 17

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Us.
We are on top of the tree.
We had a full list avaliable
90% of our players competed a full preseason.

This is another thing to add to the Renaming we have copped since winning it in 17
Agree, totally us. We're not only the flag favourite but also on a profitability and popularity run that this could really unsettle. This year will likely blow our finances apart, when we were pretty close to financial invincibility, and who knows from a playing perspective. It might end up being mitigated a very small amount by some of the most senior players staying an extra year rather than retiring, but who knows.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Agree, totally us. We're not only the flag favourite but also on a profitability and popularity run that this could really unsettle. This year will likely blow our finances apart, when we were pretty close to financial invincibility, and who knows from a playing perspective. It might end up being mitigated a very small amount by some of the most senior players staying an extra year rather than retiring, but who knows.

Spot on.

The chemistry between everyone that worked at building us into what we were last September is now all gone.
We won't be the same. 100% guaranteed.
People will be pissed that they lost their job while others kept them.
Relations and bonds between people are all put on hold.
Training and fitness issue's.

We have been cursed.
Has anyone got Dimi's number from the exorcist??

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Yeah, i agree with those who say Geelong. They were hoping to squeeze out another season with their ageing list. Can’t see Harry, Garry, Lochie and all those other oldies staying on in 2021 and Joel, Patty, Zac, Jack Steven, Jenkins etc will be 31/32.

nqtiger

In the jungle
Mar 7, 2004
Back From The jungle
Don't want to make too much of comparison with SOS and all that is going on today but mentioning 1990 brings back memories of the circumstances I found out.
I had been on an 8 week holiday in the wilds of Canada and Alaska... Pre any Comms...postcard home once a week, ring home in an emergency only (unlike 21st century travellers who virtually live stream every waking minute of their travels) .. absolutely no idea what was brewing on the other side of the Pacific.
The Last Saturday before I was due home I rang my mate to let him know I was back in civilisation and ready to fly home in time to be best man at his wedding later in the week. Was Sunday morning here and his fiancé answered and said he was at the MCG for a rally as Richmond was broke. It just echoed down the line, totally stunned. That was rug pulled out from under me stuff. In its own context was same emotions...how did we get to this, what can we do, what if can't recover , will I cope etc etc...
But to keep the analogy going, we needed all to sacrifice our $ , even others who weren't impacted (fans of other clubs) realised that they weren't better off if the Tigers folded, we United behind a determined leader, we went the course, I presume VFL provided some concessions and generous terms (though I think then the banks were in their own world of pain and were forcing us to a bail out)

there were some clubs who wanted us gone , and it would be better for football if we were gone, one particular club and deity verbalised thus very thing, so I cgaf
if norf no longer existed

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
RICHMOND HAVE THE LARGEST CASH RESERVES,BIGGEST MEMBERSHIP,BIGGEST TURNOVER, even cutting 10-20 million a year of our turnover still leaves tigers at number 1 turnover ,even if best other clubs were not effected, we have stockpiled 1 to early 2nd round picks the last 3 years like a club in rebuild mode( 2 premierships coming our way is amazing), remember we also have a 800,000 dollar player not getting paid much,TIGERS ARE IN A AMAZING POSITION TO RAM HOME ADVANTAGES, NO DEBT,DEEP LIST,YOUNG TALENT,BIGGEST MEMBERSHIP,CASH RESERVES OF 24 MILLION,BIGGEST TURNOVER, ALL CLUBS INCLUDING COLLINGWOOD WOULD SWAP TO BE US.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
RICHMOND HAVE THE LARGEST CASH RESERVES,BIGGEST MEMBERSHIP,BIGGEST TURNOVER, even cutting 10-20 million a year of our turnover still leaves tigers at number 1 turnover ,even if best other clubs were not effected, we have stockpiled 1 to early 2nd round picks the last 3 years like a club in rebuild mode( 2 premierships coming our way is amazing), remember we also have a 800,000 dollar player not getting paid much,TIGERS ARE IN A AMAZING POSITION TO RAM HOME ADVANTAGES, NO DEBT,DEEP LIST,YOUNG TALENT,BIGGEST MEMBERSHIP,CASH RESERVES OF 24 MILLION,BIGGEST TURNOVER, ALL CLUBS INCLUDING COLLINGWOOD WOULD SWAP TO BE US.
Diggler?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users