Who would you choose to coach Richmond | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who would you choose to coach Richmond

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Nah, this is not another sack Danny thread. ;D

With all the negative stuff going on here I thought it would be interesting to see who people would choose to coach Richmond if they had a choice, and why. Could be Danny, could be an untried coach, could be any current or past coach.

I'd choose Denis Pagan. I love the work ethic, the honesty and toughness of players under him.

I am not taking Carlton's crap season into consideration. He walked into a disaster zone there and was never going to be a first year success story.

I love the way Pagan gets the best out of young kids, and of rejects or guys with attitude problems.

I think his disclipine is what's needed at Tigerland. Our players have been spoilt for too long and would soon learn the cost of not giving 100%.

Who would others choose?

(P.S. This isn't anything to do with our current situation coaching wise. I don't mean for next year, or when Danny's contract expires....just a hypothetical situation where we get to choose.)

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale
Agree rosy. Matthews has the score on the board, but not completely sure about the discipline factor. Less intense than Pagan, but it seems to work.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I realyl cant answer that at all. Dont know enough about them adn how they are with the players, jsut what is perceived from the outside. I n teh meantime im sticking wiht Danny and giving him my full support.

Agree a bit of disdcipline owuldnt hurt theplayers. 2001 we had that wit hstances on drinking and public incidents and it worked wonders.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
shawry said:
I realyl cant answer that at all. Dont know enough about them adn how they are with the players, jsut what is perceived from the outside. I n teh meantime im sticking wiht Danny and giving him my full support.

In reality that's probably all we know about Danny too.

I really didn't want this thread to be taken as a vote of no confidence in Danny. I just thought it would be interesting to see which coaches other people admire.

I thought it could possibly break the mould we have on here at the moment of some people bagging the club, and others on here only posting to bag people who bag the club.

I know things aren't good but it's no need for every thread to turn into a slanging match from both sides of the fence. It amuses me how some people take it so personally when others see things a bit differently from their point of view. :-\

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
I'd go for Matthews, if we had coaching carte blanche. He really knows how to build a team to win finals.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
If I had a choice, I'd go with Leigh Matthews.

Has a successful track record. Success seems to follow him wherever he goes.

Has coached premierships at two different Clubs and perhaps even at 'unlikely' Clubs, given their previous history.

Seems able to get the best out of players, by instilling faith and confidence in them.

Generally seems to be in control and on the front foot.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
rosy3 said:
I know things aren't good but it's no need for every thread to turn into a slanging match from both sides of the fence. It amuses me how some people take it so personally when others see things a bit differently from their point of view. :-\

Waht are you saying Rosy? I did not take it personally jsut said i dont know enough from the inside to make a comment so i will stick with what we have got. Not taken personally nor did i try to enhhance my view on Danny, jsut saying i dont know enough about any of them and their style of players. Your little snide remark directed at me was unwarranted. You did give me the option of choosing Danny if i remember and by default i stuck with him. There was no intention to get into a slanging match nor do i care if anyone differs from my view. But you take my post however you like.

Hungry

Bring back the Tiger mongrel
Mar 18, 2003
SHEEDY!

He bloods exciting youngsters every year. His teams are always a great combination of skill and toughness, and they have played in some of the best games of footy during his reign.

He also promotes his club more than any other coach.

Pity we didn't get him in '81.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
shawry said:
Your little snide remark directed at me was unwarranted. You did give me the option of choosing Danny if i remember and by default i stuck with him.

Good onya shawry, but I didn't mean to direct any snide little remark at you, far from it in fact.

You commented on giving Danny your full support, and that's why I tried to clarify why I started this thread I suppose.

I didn't want the assumption that choosing a different coach could equate to not supporting the one we have now. I didn't mean to imply I took your post that way.

None of my comments were directed at this thread or anyone who's posted on it.

I just think a lot of other threads have gone the way I mentioned lately, but maybe others don't see it that way.

I apologise for you thinking my comments were personal and aimed at you.

Guess I didn't word them too well. Woe is me, ha. :'( :'( :'(

lotus2

I'm a llama!
Jul 13, 2003
We need a coach who the players can look at and say WOW this guy has coached 2 to 4 premiership teams he must know what hes doing,*smile* look how serious he is i better pick up my man,he will install much needed leadership and confidince into our side that they will peform for him at their upmost week in week out and really thats the best you can ask for,,,,EXAMPLE look what malthouse has done with a very ordinary list built around 2 great players,,you just have to listen and look at malthouse and he demands respect and disipline,,,,,,Thats the kind of coach we need,,,,who ,i dont know you tell me how many there are and then we can narrow it down,,,,,Sheedy,Matthews,Blight,Malthouse,,,,,,these are my top 4,,,,,further more i think miller is holding on to Frawley not only as a honour thing but also thats when Sheedy and Matthews come out of contract,,it serves as a double sword not to unbalance the club by appointing a new coach for 1 year while Miller knows full well whos coming out of contract next year,dont you worry Miller,s allready got his plan into action,thats my theory anyway.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
All things being equal would love to have Gary Ayres.

He is tough, was a great player who had heaps of success and knows what is required to be good.

His players respect and follow his every instruction and he seems to have the ability to get ordinary players to play above themselves.

Hungry

Bring back the Tiger mongrel
Mar 18, 2003
Lotus, I hope you're right. It'd be great to have one of those big name coaches at Tigerland - they are so rare and they demand success.

Would love to see Sheeds back - though I must admit my bias, I had his number on my jumper as a kid (me along with about 250,000 other kids!)

gdbarrett

Some more New-men please.
Jun 18, 2003
Albury
I think Mathews is the best coach going around right now. But for the tigers next coach I would like Wallace. He got the best out of the "cattle" he had at bulldogs. He is good with the media, inovative, a good match day coach and hungry. I'm not sure Mathews, Pagan and Sheedy would have the hunger for a premiership that Wallace would have. Blight failed in this department at the Saints.

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Definitely not Wallace, nor Eade - bit suss on coaches who have quit, sacked or forced to step down. I'd go with Leigh Matthews - has coached 3 premiership sides. Got the Lions up from the bottom to the top.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Matthews no doubt. Brissy were down and out, look where they are now. Same goes (to a point) with collingwood.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
With the current state of the Richmond side, IMO you couldn't go past Sheedy.

Sheedy has proven time and again over the last 20 that he can build premiership teams from scratch. He has a schrewd eye for talent and plays a big part in recruiting at Essendon. if anyone could build a premiership team at punt road it would be Sheedy.