Why are Indians being attacked in Melbourne & Sydney? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Why are Indians being attacked in Melbourne & Sydney?

Tigers of Old said:
I can tell you this much, whether these crimes are race related or not, it's certainly being portrayed as race related by the media abroad.
Foreign press is doing all they can to tar Australians with the racist brush and it disgusts and embarrasses me to see us shown seen in this light overseas.
They want to stereotype Aussies as Redneck Hansonites. The hypocrisy is astounding.

I never worry to much about what other people think. I merely think & do what feels best with me.

A testament to the fairness and opportunity of Australia is that so many people from all around the world come for opportunity here.
Yes, we have our warts & all but we have a wonderful multi-cultural society.

In my street, we have a mixture of people from around the globe and everyone gets on with a wave & a smile.

So, as long as we continue to act with conscience, we'll be fine.

But, at this point, there is something going on and we can't sweep it under the carpet.
I hope the authorities can quickly pin-point what is the cause of this going on and put it right.

Phantom said:
A testament to the fairness and opportunity of Australia is that so many people from all around the world come for opportunity here.
Yes, we have our warts & all but we have a wonderful multi-cultural society.

That's it in a nutshell and why I get annoyed I suppose.
Melbourne would surely be one of the most multi cultural cities in the world providing countless opportunities for migrants and international students, yet it's being portrayed abroad as if it's full of pure blood Anglo romper stomper racists by the Indian and Asian press particularly.
It's blatantly wrong, ignorant and antagonistic and honestly gives me the sh!ts no end.

Interesting reading relevant to this, with some interesting statistics - Alan Howe in the Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/now-listen-here-india/story-e6frfhqf-1225820585643

Articles are interesting, however these do not displace the point that these particular murders are being committed and the police seem incapable of identifying and arresting the perpetrators.

I know that I am still upset by the Britt Lapthorne case and the clear apparent corruption of the Croatian police.

For those who forget, Britt, an Australian girl holidaying in Croatia, was murdered and her disfigured body was found dumped in the water. Croatian police, and history paints an extremely poor portrait of anything Croatian, have never laid charges upon anyone, though evidence points to it being of a serial nature within the Croatian police force.

From the Lapthorne case, we continue to have a bad taste towards Croatia and its police.

I can understand why Indians would feel the same about the current spate of murders & assaults in Melbourne & Sydney whilst our police forces continue to appear to be dallying.

Maybe the Vic Police are much better at collecting speeding fines than solving murders.

Phantom said:
Articles are interesting, however these do not displace the point that these particular murders are being committed and the police seem incapable of identifying and arresting the perpetrators.

I know that I am still upset by the Britt Lapthorne case and the clear apparent corruption of the Croatian police.

For those who forget, Britt, an Australian girl holidaying in Croatia, was murdered and her disfigured body was found dumped in the water. Croatian police, and history paints an extremely poor portrait of anything Croatian, have never laid charges upon anyone, though evidence points to it being of a serial nature within the Croatian police force.

From the Lapthorne case, we continue to have a bad taste towards Croatia and its police.

I can understand why Indians would feel the same about the current spate of murders & assaults in Melbourne & Sydney whilst our police forces continue to appear to be dallying.

Maybe the Vic Police are much better at collecting speeding fines than solving murders.

Thank you - my feelings are the same as you describe above.

Had these murders been of a poilitician's offspring or a well known Movie, TV, Rock or Sports star - there would have been exhaustive police work and media coverage completed and those who commited the attacks would have been found.

This whole episode has a certain aroma about it.......................

I'm not sure I agree
I reckon there is a racist element in Victoria. Always has been and always will.

Yes we may be a multi cultural state.
And yes, not all of us are racist.

But some dont want "foreigners" here.

Victorians didnt want the chinese, then the irish, then the greeks, then the italians, then vietnamese
They arent clean, they start fights, they cant speak english, they dont understand the Australian way of life
Why should we give them the dole, free education, free healthcare?
Why should they have their own religion? Why should they be allowed to wear those clothes, they're in Australia now.

Victorians didnt want the chinese, then the irish, then the greeks, then the italians, then vietnamese
They arent clean, they start fights, they cant speak english, they dont understand the Australian way of life
Why should we give them the dole, free education, free healthcare?
Why should they have their own religion? Why should they be allowed to wear those clothes, they're in Australia now.

This needs to be re-worded.
Victorians didnt want the chinese, then the Victorians and the Chinese didn't want the Irish, then the Victorians, the Chinese and the Irish didn't want the greeks, then the Victorians, the Chinese, the Greeks didn't want the italians, then well you get my drift.

poppa x said:
Victorians didnt want the chinese, then the Victorians and the Chinese didn't want the Irish, then the Victorians, the Chinese and the Irish didn't want the greeks, then the Victorians, the Chinese, the Greeks didn't want the italians, then well you get my drift.

good point Poopa.
So once immigrants settle in and are accepted.
They quickly adopt the entrenched racism. So they do adopt the Aussie way of life

poppa x said:

Interesting!

In your re-wording, you separate out Victorians from Chinese, Irish, Greeks & Italians, as if each of these groups were not Victorian.

From my understanding, the state of Victoria included all citizens & permanent residents, regardless of origin.

I don't wish to draw any conclusion from this, but your perspective is interesting.

One would like to think that, at the very least, if there is an "anti-foreigner" feeling, that each of the Chinese, Irish, Greeks & Italians did become Victorians eventually.

Personally, I think Michael's original wording may be more accurate.

The point is...
That if we accept racism as a dislike/fear/hatred of immigrants
Then Victorians are racist.

Perhaps racism has another meaning
Like the if we killed people we dont like, dont trust, think are bad, have different values, kill minority groups.
Then we could look at wars such as Vietnam, Iran, Korea and conclude that yes we are racist.

What I meant was the word "Victorian" keeps changing its meaning.
So that as the original Chinese became assimilated, they in turn became part of we "Victorians".
And in turn we (including the Chinese) hated the next migrant group.
The process continues.
Eventually, the Indian population in Victoria will become part of the Victorian fabric, and will in turn "hate" whatever the next wave of migrants are.

Phantom said:
Interesting!

In your re-wording, you separate out Victorians from Chinese, Irish, Greeks & Italians, as if each of these groups were not Victorian.

From my understanding, the state of Victoria included all citizens & permanent residents, regardless of origin.

I don't wish to draw any conclusion from this, but your perspective is interesting.

One would like to think that, at the very least, if there is an "anti-foreigner" feeling, that each of the Chinese, Irish, Greeks & Italians did become Victorians eventually.

Personally, I think Michael's original wording may be more accurate.

As long as we keep the Croatians out.

jb03 said:
As long as we keep the Croatians out.

:hihi reminds me of that quote from Austin Powers Goldmember:

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch.

Gay men get abused and bashed everyday and nobody says a thing. It's not just race it's "you're not part of our club" mentality that is the problem.

jdb said:
Gay men get abused and bashed everyday and nobody says a thing. It's not just race it's "you're not part of our club" mentality that is the problem.

Gay bashing? ... I thought that went out with sharpies back in the 70's. How disturbing :eek:.

As for indian bashing - from someone I know who uses the trains on a daily basis…… many (meaning enough to stand out I guess) indian male commuters display poor public transport etiquette – leering at women, speaking loudly and at length on mobile phones, lacking in personal hygiene, unresponsive to requests to desist, make way etc etc – not endearing habits especially in a confined space like a train carriage.

Now while some, … neh, many (assumedly) australian male citizens display the same rudeness, the indian male contingent of this ilk do so in a foreign language making themselves clear targets for those less tolerant children of the southern cross prone to senseless nationalistic violence.

Add to this the observation that many male indian students appear to have wrists like buggy whips and given that indians are generally not renowned as world champions in violent physical sports like boxing, or rugby etc, our local knuckle dragging racists could see them as very soft targets indeed.

Indian women aren’t being singled out for attack (here) so .....

Michael said:
The point is...
That if we accept racism as a dislike/fear/hatred of immigrants
Then Victorians are racist.

Rubbish Michael.
Victorians pretty much hate anything outside their borders, especially those from other states in Australia. ;)
Note sure that makes them racist, so much as proud Victorians.
Having recently become a Vic myself and voicing my concerns to a few (Victorian) Indians re this recently, I think it's mainly those Indians outside of Victoria who are more in a lather about this than the locals.
Beat up IMO.

Interesting.......

An Indian man who said he was set alight by assailants near his Melbourne home last month accidentally burned himself while torching his car for an insurance claim, police allege.

Jaspreet Singh, 29, of Grice Crescent, Essendon, in the city's north, faced an out-of-sessions hearing early this morning before a bail justice at St Kilda Road police complex charged with making a false report to police and criminal damage with a view to gaining a financial advantage.

The case gained international headlines among a series of attacks by white Australians on Indian nationals in Melbourne.

Singh, who is in Australia on his wife's student visa, told police he was doused with petrol and set alight as he parked his car near his home early on Saturday, January 8

http://www.theage.com.au/national/burned-indian-faked-attack-to-claim-car-insurance-police-20100203-nbfr.html

Where evidence is lacking investigations can take time.

As a Gen Y i do believe that its a small minority of us that are causing the problems with Indians, but i also believe that this is a huge media beat up.

As for violence in Victoria in general, at night no-one can really feel safe walking its streets. No matter if your in parks, well lit streets or surrounded by CCTV. Personally i blame a soft judicial system and a lack of education/ parenting.

duki said:
Where evidence is lacking investigations can take time.

As a Gen Y i do believe that its a small minority of us that are causing the problems with Indians, but i also believe that this is a huge media beat up.

As for violence in Victoria in general, at night no-one can really feel safe walking its streets. No matter if your in parks, well lit streets or surrounded by CCTV. Personally i blame a soft judicial system and a lack of education/ parenting.

Well said duki. Although I don't live in Victoria, it seems there is a rise in violence in general in the Melbourne area.

I agree wholeheartedly with your observations regarding the judicial system and lack of parenting. Here in Tassie recently we had a case where a person, while on a suspended sentence for assault then assaulted another person and got...a suspended sentence on top of his existing suspended sentence. Go figure how that acts as a deterrent. It certainly doesn't give me any faith in the judicial system's capacity to match the punishment to the crime. And I still cant figure out how you can get a suspended sentence on to of an existing one for the same type of crime.

Go Toigs! said:
Well said duki. Although I don't live in Victoria, it seems there is a rise in violence in general in the Melbourne area.
It is possible that the only thing that has risen is the media reporting of violence in general.