Why are Indians being attacked in Melbourne & Sydney? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Why are Indians being attacked in Melbourne & Sydney?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
You'd probably need to ask questions about age and location of the crimes too poppa. It would be interesting to see what kind of picture the figures paint.

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
I think there's an element of racism. Every wave of migrants has copped it from people born in Oz. It's just now we live in a more violent society that instead of making do with verbal abuse or punch-ups has taken to knifings.

It's ironic that we've become more tolerant generally at the same time as the violence intensity has increased.

Having said all that, it p!sses me off that Indians are accusing 'Australians' of being racists (meaning anglo saxons), completely missing what that says about their own prejudices.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Azza said:
I think there's an element of racism. Every wave of migrants has copped it from people born in Oz. It's just now we live in a more violent society that instead of making do with verbal abuse or punch-ups has taken to knifings.

It's ironic that we've become more tolerant generally at the same time as the violence intensity has increased.

Having said all that, it p!sses me off that Indians are accusing 'Australians' of being racists (meaning anglo saxons), completely missing what that says about their own prejudices.

What you "think" Azza is the same as what I "think", meaning it's only an opinion.
But I think we need hard facts, which provide us with a direction we should take.
For instance if the facts say Indians are not being targeted, then we have to sell this to the Indian community.
If on the other hand, the facts say they are being targeted, then we have to catch and punish those responsible and demonstrate to the Indians that we take their concerns seriously and our police and courts will respond accordingly.

We should also IMO highlight every example of a European being attacked or murdered in India and ask if the Indians are racist - just to square the ledger.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Yes,

We have some local Indian families playing for our cricket team.

All are very highly respected & always well behaved.

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
poppa x said:
What you "think" Azza is the same as what I "think", meaning it's only an opinion.
But I think we need hard facts, which provide us with a direction we should take.
For instance if the facts say Indians are not being targeted, then we have to sell this to the Indian community.
If on the other hand, the facts say they are being targeted, then we have to catch and punish those responsible and demonstrate to the Indians that we take their concerns seriously and our police and courts will respond accordingly.

We should also IMO highlight every example of a European being attacked or murdered in India and ask if the Indians are racist - just to square the ledger.

Absolutely my opinion! Most people I know are baffled by the media presentation of an anti-Indian element. However, I do know a few people who are anti-Indian (claims of sexual harassment of Australian women, dodgy rip-off taxi drivers, fake degrees for immigration purposes etc). This leads me to suspect there are others who take this to an extreme and curry-bash for the fun of it, perhaps taking a lead from anti-Indian racism in England.

I also don't think Australians are more racist as a whole than Indians as a whole, or anyone else for that matter.

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
poppa x said:
Can anyone answer these questions?

What % of total Melbourne's murder victims are Indian?
What % of total Melbourne's assault victims are Indian?
What % of Mebourne's population is Indian?
- compare all 3 answers -
And what is the nationality by (country of birth) of people accused of mudering and assaulting Indians?

The answers should establish if there's a racial motive, and determine what action we should take.

Well said poppa! :fing32

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Someone requested this, and it was in the Age today:

However, an analysis by The Age shows Indians living in Victoria are 2½ times more likely to be assaulted than non-Indians.

According to police statistics for the 2006-07 financial year, the assault rate for Indians in Victoria was about 1700 people in every 100,000. In comparison, the rate of assault of non-Indians in Victoria was about 700 people in every 100,000.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/india-paper-defends-kkk-cartoon-20100108-lyy7.html?autostart=1

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005
Take your pick:-

a) Because we have run out of cowboys, or

b) a much higher proportion of Indians than non-Indians use public transport and/or walk around the city streets

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Regardless of comparitive stats on crimes in Australia v India, it appears that there does seem to be a concentration of crimes in Sydney & Melbourne against Indians.

Today's crime of an Indian being set on fire in the NW suburbs of Melbourne, yes another crime, appears to confirm something more deliberate than random.

Reckon it's just that our police haven't worked out what's happening as yet.

Does anyone know if there is a connection of possible suspects by any common factor?

Maybe we do have our head in the sands on this.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Phantom said:
Regardless of comparitive stats on crimes in Australia v India, it appears that there does seem to be a concentration of crimes in Sydney & Melbourne against Indians.

Today's crime of an Indian being set on fire in the NW suburbs of Melbourne, yes another crime, appears to confirm something more deliberate than random.

Reckon it's just that our police haven't worked out what's happening as yet.

Does anyone know if there is a connection of possible suspects by any common factor?

Maybe we do have our head in the sands on this.

As I posted once or twice before in other threads, it's the domino effect.

Shhh......Brumby's on holiday.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Frankly, from personal experience, I have frank doubts of Victoria Police doing anything more challenging than attending crash scenes and handing out fines and writs.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Phantom said:
Frankly, from personal experience, I have frank doubts of Victoria Police doing anything more challenging than attending crash scenes and handing out fines and writs.

Don't underestimate how challenging and stressful attending crash scenes can be.  Scraping bits of roads, controlling hysteria, contacting family etc.

Not sure the story you deleted is the norm Phantom.  My son and his mates had a different experience when the cops were called to break up a fight at a  party they were at.  The capsicum spray, no questions asked,  had an instant effect....even on those not involved.

(Gee we're good at going off topic on here. Sorry all. )

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Panthera tigris FC said:
New powers for police have been brought out to permit searches of individuals for knives without cause. The police can only do this in limited area and only after prior advertisement of that area.

I heard this on the radio the other day. How ridiculous! Police should have the power to search anyone for weapons, at anytime without warning.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Nico said:
I heard this on the radio the other day. How ridiculous! Police should have the power to search anyone for weapons, at anytime without warning.

We don't live in a police state.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
I certainly believe that Police should have the power to search, when warranted, but the true test of a Police State is being able to arrest without warrant and to imprison without charge nor trial.

Victoria is not a Police State, far from it.
It is a state where Police resources have been severely let down by both the Bracks & Brumby governments and its previous Commissioner for almost 10 years.
This has seen the dismantling of special investigation units and the negative transformation of police from law enforcers to tax collectors & to TAC on-field representatives.

Back onto the topic, and with reference to the article on page 16, The Debate, in today's HUN, Are Victorians racist.
It was interesting reading opinions from a variety of community leaders. Each has something of merit to say and clearly the new African, Indian & Arabic communities are finding it difficult to assimilate into Australian society at present.

As Vietnamese Community leader, Bon Nguyen states, "We have a Governor who is Sri Lankan, the former Lord Mayor was (Chinese) and (former premier) Steve Bracks is Lebanese.
Hardly the profile one would expect from the headline.

Clearly there appears to be a problem focused on members of the Indian community at present. It is Victoria Police's duty, and in Sydney the NSW Police Force, to clear the matter up promptly, using all the resources it can lay its hands on.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Phantom said:
I certainly believe that Police should have the power to search, when warranted,

I agree with that. The key words are "when warranted" not to be able to search without any cause.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
TigerFurious said:
Perception is reality i guess.

I can tell you this much, whether these crimes are race related or not, it's certainly being portrayed as race related by the media abroad.
Foreign press is doing all they can to tar Australians with the racist brush and it disgusts and embarrasses me to see us shown seen in this light overseas.
They want to stereotype Aussies as Redneck Hansonites. The hypocrisy is astounding.