Wirrpunda wants to come back to Victoria! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Wirrpunda wants to come back to Victoria!

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Family ties beckon Wirrpunda to Victoria
12 July 2003 AFL
By MARK STEVENS (Herald Sun)

WEST Coast star David Wirrpunda has given a clear indication he will consider returning to Melbourne at the end of the season.

The exciting 23-year-old, coming out of contract, is still battling homesickness almost eight years after moving to Perth.

"You always assess your options to see if the door's open (to go home)," Wirrpunda revealed in an interview in this weekend's AFL Record.

The admission is sure to have AFL clubs salivating.

Wirrpunda, who could command as much as $400,000 a year on the open market, would be an instant fix for Carlton's shortage of line-breaking runners.

The Eagles also face a torrid battle to keep Chris Judd as speculation mounts he is also eyeing a return to Melbourne.

Negotiations between Wirrpunda and the Eagles have yet to start.

Wirrpunda's manager Jim Tsagalis yesterday said he would meet his client within a fortnight to discuss the future.

"As he comes up for his contract, he and I always sit down and talk about what's changed since last time (he signed)," Tsagalis said.

"I spoke to him very briefly yesterday saying, `We need to catch up and have a chat again'. But he made no noises that he is keen to come home.

"That would come out in the conversation I have with him in the next few weeks."

Restricted to 97 games since making his debut in '96 because of injury, Wirrpunda has managed to play 32 of the Eagles' 37 games in the past two years.

Wirrpunda, from Healesville, said he missed his family.

"I'm 23, I've been here for eight years and I'm in the last year of a contract . . . Mum and the family always want me to come home," Wirrpunda said.

"The worst thing about being over here for so long is that I've missed out on watching my little sister and my nephews and nieces growing up.

"I left when they were in kindergarten and now they're in high school. They're the precious things that I miss the most. It was also very hard when my mum got sick."

Wirrpunda also revealed a fear of flying – a huge part of life as an Eagle. "I hate it. I'm terrified of flying. It's difficult, but I force myself to sleep before we take off," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Fiora and Krakouer to West Coast for Wirrpunda. I'd love to see it happen. Any thoughts?

SkiddyMcGhee

Us and Them, Over and Over again
Jan 29, 2003
Sandringham, Melbourne
John F,

I like the idea of getting Wirrpunda, but in the back of my mind the Krakouer trade would come back to haunt us.

But, then both boys would get to go home and both are at a relatively young age, so both have years of service to give their new clubs. I guess the appeal of going to WA may appeal to Andrew to be closer to his dad as well.

Fiora, yeah OK, and throw in Biddiscombe, King, Rogers at no cost.

Hmmmmmmmmm - I can see Wirrpunda running through the back half lines already!!!

S

Skyfire

JohnF said:
Fiora and Krakouer to West Coast for Wirrpunda. I'd love to see it happen. Any thoughts?

I doubt he will leave , and if he does we would have to give Coughlan and/or 1st draft pick so forget it.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

I'd hate to see Krak go before we really see what he can do. A change of coach could possible bring more out in him too. Few players have that natural instinct and I hope he stays a Tiger.

Fiora hasn't come ahead like I expected. Another one who may benefit from a change in coaches. He's hardly been given 2 minutes in one position this year. He looks like he'll never be much heavier though, so will probably never provide grunt and muscle to the team .

Wirrpunda is a beautiful footballer, but we'd need to assess our needs. We can't afford too many players on that money so would need to see who else is available first.

If we could only trade one player on that kind of money I'd probably prefer an elite midfielder or a tall KPP.

I'd prefer Judd over Wirrpunda if we had to choose out of the two Weagles.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Rosy
Wirrpunda is a beautiful footballer, but we'd need to assess our needs. We can't afford too many players on that money so would need to see who else is available first.

If we could only trade one player on that kind of money I'd probably prefer an elite midfielder or a tall KPP.

Totally agree Rosy. For 400k a year Id even struggle to justify that to Nathan Brown and he can be used in the forward line or mid-field.
For that money Davo can find himself a home elsewhere IMO.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Judd would be my priority at the moment. I think the signs aren't good for Campbo with injuries starting to take there toll.

The second half showed how badly we need another quality midfielder.

sammy gal

JEALOUSY IS A MAJOR CURSE.........SUCKERS!!!
May 22, 2003
Now Now guys..............your off on your rant again :mad:..

Has it ever occured to you that these stories only ever appear in your neck of the woods?Hmmmmmmm?

{Post edited due to inappropriate language Sammy. We do have standards. ;D)

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
Rosy its my humble opinion that krakouer just isnt up to it and fiora has had 4or5 years to bulk up and find some consistency we dont get enough out of either of them lets at least try and off load them for something half decent. Its not as if they havent been given plenty of opportunites to show something unlike some others at the club

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
g0tigers said:
the claw said:
fiora has had 4or5 years to bulk up and find some consistency

Fiora has only played 55 senior matches, give him a go, id say one more yr to prove himself.
Hehad better get himself into the gym then GT
he shows some potential but he needs to put on 5to 10 kg. id rather give some one a go whos prepared to put in the hard work

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
the claw said:
id rather give some one a go whos prepared to put in the hard work

I wouldnt say he's not prepared to put in the hard work. Your right he does need to try and bulk up though.
As i said give him one more year.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
Youve got more patience than me GT ive totally run out of it with so many under achievers at the club ;D

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
the claw said:
Youve got more patience than me GT ive totally run out of it with so many under achievers at the club ;D

Lol, thankyou, ive been known to stick up for Fiora aswell as Bowden. But if both of them don't perform next yr (presuming they will be there next yr) watch out!

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Claw, I am not disrespecting your opinion here or having a go at you, but the very two you want to get rid of seem to be some of the few that most ex coaches and players in the media have stated they would definitely persist with.

I think both of them have youth on their side and we have to remember that there will be some players who will never develop into hulking physiques no matter how long they spend in the gym.

P

PuntRoadRoar

Sammy Gal said:
Now Now guys..............your off on your rant again :mad:..

Has it ever occured to you that these stories only ever appear in your neck of the woods?Hmmmmmmm?

{Post edited due to inappropriate language Sammy. We do have standards. ;D)

its obvious that sammygal doesnt even attend the eagle home matches because if she bothered getting the record there was a full story on wirrapunda wanting to come back to victoria ;D ;D ;D ;D

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
There was talk this morning of a *smile* for Judd swap, personally Judd has dud shoulders and he would be a risk, as for wirrpunda, I'd trade biddiscome, rogers, houlihan, king, mills, hyde, pettifer for him.

As for cambo, it appears his career may be over......

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Even if pirate Cambo ends up playing with a peg leg, he'll still finish in our top 3 in the best and fairest next year.