World Cup 2018 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

World Cup 2018

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
scottyturnerscurse said:
For those with greater knowledge than mine, who should I bet on? The old man says Belgium at 14s.

Germany and Brazil are monties to reach the semi finals. France and Spain will depend on whether they can keep their emotions in check. Argentina a bit like Spain and France. Belgium have the players but I just can’t see them reaching the final.

Australia not to score in open play isn’t a bad bet.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Baloo said:
Germany and Brazil are monties not to reach the semi finals. France and Spain will depend on whether they can keep their emotions in check. Argentina a bit like Spain and France. Belgium have the players but I just can’t see them reaching the final.

Australia not to score in open play isn’t a bad bet.

Thanks, Baloo.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
scottyturnerscurse said:
Thanks, Baloo.

Changed that first line and removed “not”. Germany and Brazil will make it to the semis

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
scottyturnerscurse said:
For those with greater knowledge than mine, who should I bet on? The old man says Belgium at 14s.

Germany all the way. They have the best squad in my opinion. But the world cup is full of knockout games where anything can happen. Brazil, France, Spain, Argentina and Belgium can all win. I will be in London for the semi finals and final and would love it if England were still alive (as unlikely as it is).

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Ian4 said:
Germany all the way. They have the best squad in my opinion. But the world cup is full of knockout games where anything can happen. Brazil, France, Spain, Argentina and Belgium can all win. I will be in London for the semi finals and final and would love it if England were still alive (as unlikely as it is).

Thanks, Binboy.

Got it, Baloo.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
This is the time when every 4 years we all get to be soccer experts. Even I could have told you Germany and Brazil will be thereabouts. Another one is there will an African side that has a blistering inspirational run before being beaten by boring power side in a massive refereeing controversy.

E

easy_tiger

tigersnake said:
This is the time when every 4 years we all get to be soccer experts. Even I could have told you Germany and Brazil will be thereabouts. Another one is there will an African side that has a blistering inspirational run before being beaten by boring power side in a massive refereeing controversy.

:hihi

only really semi-interested in soccer every 4 years.

I figure you can live in Lygon St. and still hate Carlton, and Ive never lived within 100km of Richmond in my life, so I'm going for Senegal in The Cup

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
Sorry but tbis sport is rigged from the fishhead down, over paid under achievers& bores the *smile* out of me ...

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
tigersnake said:

Second part isn't a guarantee at all mainly because African countries are no longer the great unknown and they have most of their players plying their trade in the big leagues.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
gutfull said:
Sorry but tbis sport is rigged from the fishhead down, over paid under achievers& bores the sh!t out of me ...

so why even comment on it then? I find NRL boring and can't work out why a contest between NSW and QLD is played in Melbourne, but I don't comment on that thread.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Ian4 said:
so why even comment on it then? I find NRL boring and can't work out why a contest between NSW and QLD is played in Melbourne, but I don't comment on that thread.

Correct. Old gut seems to have a gripe about everything.

Hope you have a great trip there binman, is on most sports lovers bucket list.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Ian4 said:

Because they got over 80K to the game and still got all of QLD and NSW watching on tv thats why they played it here.

Big win for the NRL.

Origin is their cash cow.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
craig said:
When is the kick off for the World Cup Anyway

Next Friday at 1am (Russia v Saudi Arabia). Full fixture and kickoff times are here.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
- Risdon was putrid. he is not international standard.
- Rogic is miles away from the player he should be.
- Leckie seemed to take it easy and is no certain starter after Arzani's efforts.
- Mooy is a beast but is rubbish at set pieces.
- Milligan is solid 99% of the time but is prone to the occasional error.
- Kruse put in another solid effort but needs to improve his finishing.
- Luongo is beautiful to watch, but doesn't have the mongrel for a number 6.
- Jedinak is a mongrel but can't pass and is very slow.
- Behich is a gun but needs to cross more.
- Hoping Sainsbury's game was a one off.
- Cahill should not be anywhere near this squad and the cynic in me wonders if Caltex paid for his plane ticket.

But on the positive side...
- Arzani is a special player. Glad to see the diving has stopped. Big chance to start against France. MUST go to Europe after the world cup.
- Irvine is underrated and will see plenty of minutes.
- After Ange quit, I thought Ryan's spot was under threat, but he's miles ahead as number 1.
- BVM is a very good coach. and has a very good understanding of our players. Wish he was staying on.
- I didn't initially like the green kit but it looks brilliant on the pitch.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Ian4 said:
- Risdon was putrid. he is not international standard.
- Rogic is miles away from the player he should be.
- Leckie seemed to take it easy and is no certain starter after Arzani's efforts.
- Mooy is a beast but is rubbish at set pieces.
- Milligan is solid 99% of the time but is prone to the occasional error.
- Kruse put in another solid effort but needs to improve his finishing.
- Luongo is beautiful to watch, but doesn't have the mongrel for a number 6.
- Jedinak is a mongrel but can't pass and is very slow.
- Behich is a gun but needs to cross more.
- Hoping Sainsbury's game was a one off.
- Cahill should not be anywhere near this squad and the cynic in me wonders if Caltex paid for his plane ticket.

But on the positive side...
- Arzani is a special player. Glad to see the diving has stopped. Big chance to start against France. MUST go to Europe after the world cup.
- Irvine is underrated and will see plenty of minutes.
- After Ange quit, I thought Ryan's spot was under threat, but he's miles ahead as number 1.
- BVM is a very good coach. and has a very good understanding of our players. Wish he was staying on.
- I didn't initially like the green kit but it looks brilliant on the pitch.

Good summary Ian. Some good signs after it was all doom and gloom at the end of Anges reign.
Arzani is the best talent to come along in a very long time perhaps since kewell. Can be anything this kid. Will be the youngest player at the world cup.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Tough group for the Australia, France, Denmark and Peru, ranked 7, 11 and 12 in the world respectively. Would have to be the toughest draw, Socceroos will do well to get through to the next round.