World Cup 2018 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

World Cup 2018

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
tigerman said:
Tough group for the Australia, France, Denmark and Peru, ranked 7, 11 and 12 in the world respectively. Would have to be the toughest draw, Socceroos will do well to get through to the next round.

disagree. much easier than Brazil. Not saying we'll progress, but its not an impossible task. Denmark and Peru are beatable if we get them on the right day. Peru struggled to get past New Zealand in the playoffs, and Denmark has revealed their own tactics this week ;D

regular.jpg

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Not much easier than Brazil. We'll be lucky to pull a draw. All other three teams will be looking at Australia asd their 1 guaranteed win and worrying about where they will get their other to qualify.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Ian4 said:
disagree. much easier than Brazil. Not saying we'll progress, but its not an impossible task. Denmark and Peru are beatable if we get them on the right day.

On FIFA World Rankings Australia has got to have the tougher draw.
Brazil have got, Switzerland #6, Costa Rica #23 and Serbia # 34. I'd much prefer the Socceroos had Brazil's group.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yep, believe they rig those draws somehow. Just strange how they work it with few top-ranked teams in the same group, but a nice range. Australia copped the hardest typically. But we have to expect it, we are still a minnow in this game.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
leon said:
Yep, believe they rig those draws somehow. Just strange how they work it with few top-ranked teams in the same group, but a nice range. Australia copped the hardest typically. But we have to expect it, we are still a minnow in this game.

They split teams into 4 ranks and then draw 1 team from each rank into the group. Similar to seeding in tennis ensuring the top teams don't knock each other out early on

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
tigerman said:
On FIFA World Rankings Australia has got to have the tougher draw.
Brazil have got, Switzerland #6, Costa Rica #23 and Serbia # 34. I'd much prefer the Socceroos had Brazil's group.

the way FIFA does their rankings are changing after the world cup. because, low and behold, they are *smile*

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Ian4 said:
the way FIFA does their rankings are changing after the world cup. because, low and behold, they are *smile*

Ok, i didn't know that, i'll defer to your greater knowledge of the world game, i don't follow it as closely as you.

How far do you think Portugal can go?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
tigerman said:
How far do you think Portugal can go?

Portugal are in a good group and will progress comfortably. they are also on a decent side of the draw. will likely play Uruguay or Russia in the round of 16. They would feel confident of at least making the quarter finals (depending whether they finish 1st or second in their group). I have tickets to Portugal v Morocco at Luzhniki Stadium next Wednesday. should be a great experience.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Ian4 said:
Portugal are in a good group and will progress comfortably. they are also on a decent side of the draw. will likely play Uruguay or Russia in the round of 16. They would feel confident of at least making the quarter finals (depending whether they finish 1st or second in their group). I have tickets to Portugal v Morocco at Luzhniki Stadium next Wednesday. should be a great experience.

Cheers for that, Portugal is my roughie to win the World Cup.

Safe travels.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Harry said:
They split teams into 4 ranks and then draw 1 team from each rank into the group. Similar to seeding in tennis ensuring the top teams don't knock each other out early on

Sounds fair enough, Hazza. We will struggle in our group though; could become embarrassing I suspect. We don't have a quality finisher except Timmy who's on a walking stick these days. Juric stars at NOT taking his chances.

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
Donvale United should win the World Cup this year ). NCF.....
Move on ....

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I know we dont have much of a chance but how good would it be to get out of our first game with a draw against France

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
craig said:
I know we dont have much of a chance but how good would it be to get out of our first game with a draw against France

Draw is paying something like $6 and $14 for a win. That's in a two horse race. That should help reset your expectations :)

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
LOL. The Spanish sack Lopetegui, their coach, 1 day before the World Cup starts. This is going to be fun to watch.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Ian4 said:
you know what? this is the attitude we want them to have.

Agree. Hope they don't bother doing any recon on us and are focussed on Denmark/Peru.