World Cup 2018 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

World Cup 2018

Wow......... Watched the 1st half Belgium V Japan 0-0 and the Belgians were looking the better side.
Changed channels at half time to watch the news and got caught up in the rescue of the Thai soccer players, changed back and Japan are up 2-0 at the 60 minute mark!!

3-2 Belgium score with seconds to go in injury time, have to feel for Japan but Belgium have been the better side.

If belgium play like that again against brazil there will be no comeback.

tigerman said:
You wont see a better header than that Japan 2, Belgium 1.

Wasn’t it a complete fluke? Surely he was trying to just centre it and got lucky?

Sorry for Japan.

On another note how bad was Neymar acting! They should be able to ban players on review for that sort of stuff. Glad the Mexican coach called it out, though it appears players don’t care how they are perceived.

MD Jazz said:
On another note how bad was Neymar acting! They should be able to ban players on review for that sort of stuff. Glad the Mexican coach called it out, though it appears players don’t care how they are perceived.

Such a different culture to AFL and both rugby's.

Japan is gutted. The country would have been happier if they lost 2-0.

No one wants to talk soccer today.

MD Jazz said:
Wasn’t it a complete fluke? Surely he was trying to just centre it and got lucky?

Sorry for Japan.

It's inconclusive, but i think it might have been a fluke, watching it live when i posted it just seemed like a fantastic header which is what the commentator thought.

MD Jazz said:

Sorry for Japan.

Don't feel sorry for Japan at all. Karma biting them on the bum for the unsportsmanlike performance in their last group match, relying on "fair play" to get them through (ironic really that the rule that got them through is called "fair play").

As to Neymar. The VAR system has obviously come in, but it appears it's only used to check for infringements a referee may have missed, or clarifying if a ball has crossed the goal line. Stuff like that. Why is it not also used to determine if players are diving or acting? If you're going to use it, use it both ways. A player proven to be diving or acting on the VAR gets a straight red card. It would stamp it out of the game very quickly.

Panthera Tigris said:
Don't feel sorry for Japan at all. Karma biting them on the bum for the unsportsmanlike performance in their last group match, relying on "fair play" to get them through (ironic really that the rule that got them through is called "fair play").

They wound down the clock. Not great to watch but nothing wrong with it really. They took a big risk though. Had senegal equalised Japan would have been out. If you ask me it was a risky move.

As to Neymar. The VAR system has obviously come in, but it appears it's only used to check for infringements a referee may have missed, or clarifying if a ball has crossed the goal line. Stuff like that. Why is it not also used to determine if players are diving or acting? If you're going to use it, use it both ways. A player proven to be diving or acting on the VAR gets a straight red card. It would stamp it out of the game very quickly.

If the VAR starts adjudicating subjective decisions then we're screwed. Keep it limited and it might work. The AFL VAR is an example of scope creep gone wrong. From howlers to trying to judge a slight touch when it's kicked off the boot. It's now a mess.

Baloo said:
They wound down the clock. Not great to watch but nothing wrong with it really. They took a big risk though. Had senegal equalised Japan would have been out. If you ask me it was a risky move.

If the VAR starts adjudicating subjective decisions then we're screwed. Keep it limited and it might work. The AFL VAR is an example of scope creep gone wrong. From howlers to trying to judge a slight touch when it's kicked off the boot. It's now a mess.

I agree with you on the VAR, however I'd be behind retrospective punishment for clear diving or feigning of injuries. Neymar should have been booked plenty of times this world cup already, not least the clear dive for the penalty that never was against Costa Rica, but for some reason the card never left the referees pocket even after he overturned his own decision which you assume was because he felt he dived.

Baloo said:

Need to find a way of getting this *smile* out of the game Baloo. Got any other ideas? There is scope to give red cards for "simulation", but it's way too rarely given out. Blokes going down at the slightest body contact and holding areas of their body (areas not even touched when they brushed up against the other player) like they have a mortal wound. Got to find a way of stamping it out as being a culturally accepted part of the game.

England play tonight and I'm nervous. Hoping that Rodriguez doesn't play for Colombia but they still have a good attack. I'm taking some confidence from the way that Sweden picked them apart in their last game. Though they may take confidence from that, awful performance but they dodged a bullet.

Panthera Tigris said:
Need to find a way of getting this sh!t out of the game Baloo. Got any other ideas? There is scope to give red cards for "simulation", but it's way too rarely given out. Blokes going down at the slightest body contact and holding areas of their body (areas not even touched when they brushed up against the other player) like they have a mortal wound. Got to find a way of stamping it out as being a culturally accepted part of the game.

The VAR can be used for red card decisions but its more where the decision was wrong to actually send them off. For example, the Rivaldo one several years ago where a Turkey player kicked the ball towards him, hit him on the shin, Rivaldo goes down holding his face, Turkey player is sent off. You'd think the VAR would reverse that if something like that was to occur again. In that instance Rivaldo should have received a yellow card going by the rules.

mrposhman said:
I agree with you on the VAR, however I'd be behind retrospective punishment for clear diving or feigning of injuries. Neymar should have been booked plenty of times this world cup already, not least the clear dive for the penalty that never was against Costa Rica, but for some reason the card never left the referees pocket even after he overturned his own decision which you assume was because he felt he dived.
That would be a good way of going about it. Probably the best compromise.

The other thing I'd like seeing explored is giving a time limit as to how long a player has to get to his feet. For example, if he's not on his feet in say 10 or 15secs, ready to play, that player takes a mandatory injury break. He then has the choice that he can't come back on for the remainder of that half and the team has to play a player short for the rest of that half. Or if the team wants a full 11 players on the park, that player needs to be subbed out of the game entirely for someone else (and of course, doesn't get to come back on at all).

mrposhman said:
mrposhman said:
The VAR can be used for red card decisions but its more where the decision was wrong to actually send them off. For example, the Rivaldo one several years ago where a Turkey player kicked the ball towards him, hit him on the shin, Rivaldo goes down holding his face, Turkey player is sent off. You'd think the VAR would reverse that if something like that was to occur again. In that instance Rivaldo should have received a yellow card going by the rules.

I agree totally that this diving is a blight on the game. FIFA need to act. They've been ignoring it for too long.

Reto-active might work. Red or Yellow card depending where the diving happened. But fraught with danger as it's down to subjectivity again. Dunno. Maybe send Michael Christensen to FIFA

Panthera Tigris said:
That would be a good way of going about it. Probably the best compromise.

The other thing I'd like seeing explored is giving a time limit as to how long a player has to get to his feet. For example, if he's not on his feet in say 10 or 15secs, ready to play, that player takes a mandatory injury break. He then has the choice that he can't come back on for the remainder of that half and the team has to play a player short for the rest of that half. Or if the team wants a full 11 players on the park, that player needs to be subbed out of the game entirely for someone else (and of course, doesn't get to come back on at all).

It should be looked at. I think I heard somewhere that on average a 90 minute match only has the ball in play and active in something like early 60 minutes of a game, so essentially we are losing around 1/3rd of game time with the ball being out of play etc.

I've long been an advocate for taking the time clock away from the referees in a similar way to rugby. I don't really want the AFL option of calling time off etc. I'd just prefer it taken away and given to a full time time keeper. The time can stop when players go down etc, which would reduce the impact time wasting actually has on the game.

Panthera Tigris said:
Need to find a way of getting this sh!t out of the game Baloo. Got any other ideas? There is scope to give red cards for "simulation", but it's way too rarely given out. Blokes going down at the slightest body contact and holding areas of their body (areas not even touched when they brushed up against the other player) like they have a mortal wound. Got to find a way of stamping it out as being a culturally accepted part of the game.

Spot on. It would only take a couple of red cards and it would be eliminated. Imagine if Neymar missed the next game because of his outrageous behaviour, would soon stamp out the fakes.