World Cup 2018 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

World Cup 2018

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
Nomorewaiting said:
Penalties ( in my eyes ) is a harsh way to sort out an outcome of games.

What are peoples thoughts ?

1. Keep playing after extra time until goal is scored ( golden goal )?
2. Take a player off after extra time every x mins until a goal is scored ?
totally agree and option 1 :fing32

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
tigerman said:
Used to think the same, until i played the game for a couple of years in my late 20's, and yes it does have it's divers. But after playing the game i do have a respect for it. I do prefer Aussie Rules though.

I respect the game enormously. It's an awesome sport that's marred by those who'd prefer to cheat than play. Last night's game was a farce.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Nomorewaiting said:

I like no.2.

E

easy_tiger

Tigers of Old said:
I respect the game enormously. It's an awesome sport that's marred by those who'd prefer to cheat than play. Last night's game was a farce.

x2. the pre-school sooky injury acting is a disgrace.

willo said:
Russian roulette?

:hihi

they dont decide finals with penalties surely?

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Nomorewaiting said:

Nah they have tried that with hockey - keep playing but slowly take players off. The game just gets really defensive with both teams not wanting to lose. When a game is that close their is no easy way to find a winner and it is always tragic for the loser.

I like penalties or penalty strokes in hockey - it’s quick, fair and packed with drama and suspense.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
mrposhman said:
Croatia are a very good technical side and have 2 of the best midfielders in the world in Modric and Rakitic.

I'm stoked to have won a penalty shootout (I still remember the first one in 1996 against Spain, only to be knocked out in the next match by the Germans in another shootout). I'll admit after al the losses over the years a tear was in my eye to have finally won one.

Sweden will be hard to breakdown and we aren't opening teams up that easily and I think Croatia will be in the semi, tough game, strong defence and a very technically gifted midfield.

There should be some crackers of QF's coming up. I may be the kiss if death as fancied Germany and Spain before the tournament started, but Uruguay have probably looked the most consistent team throughout the tournament this time round. Maybe a new trophy needed for 2022.
As per our earlier conversation posh. I have huge respect for how Croatia - with a population around 4.4mil - can consistently put a team on the park that is ranked among the top few in the world. Like I said. They seem to get the balance right, between brilliant technical skills, individual attacking flair and disciplined team structure and defense.

I can't help thinking, imagine what sort of side Yugoslavia would put on the park now (and over the past 20 years), if it hadn't broken up? :eek: Croatia are obviously the best performed of the ex-Yugoslav republics. But Serbia also punch above their weight consistently. Add to that Bosnia, Slovenia, Montenegro and Macedonia often each produce a handful of absolute guns - even if their overall team isn't as well performed as Croatia and Serbia (due to their even smaller population size or lower overall wealth and standard of living in the case of Bosnia and Macedonia).

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Nomorewaiting said:

They've tried golden and silver goals before and it became a farce.

In the 1996 euros, every game that went to extra time was basically a massive snore fest as both teams sat back and didn't want to be opened up defensively. The one game that didn't have that was England vs Germany in the semis where it was end to end. England in particular didn't want to go to penalties but no goals were scored in extra time (despite numerous excellent chances, the best to Gazza who had he not hesitated, or he had slightly longer studs, would have scored and England would have won), no goals were scored and history shows we were knocked out on penalties with Southgate missing the final penalty for England and I think Mueller winning the game for Germany.

I actually didn't mind the idea of running penalties, where you get the ball on the halfway line, you have a set time to take the ball into the box and try and score, keeper can come off the line etc.

As a pom, I'm naturally against penalties as generally we aren't very good at them, but its hard to find an alternative really.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Thanks for all your views!

Tough one.

Just ( for me ) it's heartbreaking to see sides lose who have had all the play( don't get the lead ) then come penalties ( lose ).

That's the way it is I guess.

Couldn't remember it trailed before and didn't know hockey had/has similarly tried it.

Thanks.

Look forward to Saturday and Sunday games. Hate the wait though .

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
mrposhman said:
I actually didn't mind the idea of running penalties, where you get the ball on the halfway line, you have a set time to take the ball into the box and try and score, keeper can come off the line etc.

That's how it's done in ice hockey. Seems to work quite well.

E

easy_tiger

I reckon they should get the two biggest staging sooky strikers off both sides to walk into the middle of the stadium one at a time,

and one opposition player gets a free kick or headbutt or shoulder charge on them one after another, alternating between teams, much like penalties are taken.

each side gets 5 turns and the sook that keeps his feet most times' team wins

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
easy said:
I reckon they should get the two biggest staging sooky strikers off both sides to walk into the middle of the stadium one at a time,

and one opposition player gets a free kick or headbutt or shoulder charge on them one after another, alternating between teams, much like penalties are taken.

Advantage, anyone but Brazil. :D

On a slightly side point, its a little below the belt when a South American accuses you of diving. Suck it Pinkerman (Colombia coach for those that don't know).

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
mrposhman said:

Yeah, it's an option, though I have no issue with penalties.

On running penalty, agree on the time limit, say 10sec, but you need to think about what will happen if the keeper fouls the guy taking the running penalty.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
mrposhman said:
On a slightly side point, its a little below the belt when a South American accuses you of diving. Suck it Pinkerman (Colombia coach for those that don't know).

Not at all. Fair and correct call. The Poms may not be as dramatic divers, but you've been seen to be diving.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Karma got henderson for diving when he missed his penalty. They really should give yellows for diving now with the var

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Baloo said:
Yeah, it's an option, though I have no issue with penalties.

On running penalty, agree on the time limit, say 10sec, but you need to think about what will happen if the keeper fouls the guy taking the running penalty.

Similar to a penalty try in rugby I reckon.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Baloo said:
Not at all. Fair and correct call. The Poms may not be as dramatic divers, but you've been seen to be diving.

I'm not saying it hasn't occurred, just feels like Jabby accusing someone else of taking drugs.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Harry said:
Karma got henderson for diving when he missed his penalty. They really should give yellows for diving now with the var

Its in the rules that simulation is an automatic yellow. Not sure why the referees don't abide by it. I'd have been ok with Henderson being booked. Shame for Brazil though as Neymar would never be available to play for them.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
easy said:

Geez for a few of the "injuries" I've seen after a fly has blown past them, they'd need a full M.A.S.H. outfit on standby at every ground
The first attempted bash, it could last for hours