World Cup 2018 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

World Cup 2018

Panthera Tigris said:
The other thing I'd like seeing explored is giving a time limit as to how long a player has to get to his feet. For example, if he's not on his feet in say 10 or 15secs, ready to play, that player takes a mandatory injury break. He then has the choice that he can't come back on for the remainder of that half and the team has to play a player short for the rest of that half. Or if the team wants a full 11 players on the park, that player needs to be subbed out of the game entirely for someone else (and of course, doesn't get to come back on at all).

Yeah, but 10 or 15 is too quick. A kick in the shins bloody hurts as does a corky. That magic spray can ease the pain quickly.

How about if the trainers come onto the field to check on an injured player, that player needs to go off the field for a min 5 minutes. If the player doesn't want the trainer, the game continues.

Keeping them off for a half with a team playing one down will create a scenario where players go out to injure each other. That's probably worse.

Baloo said:
I agree totally that this diving is a blight on the game. FIFA need to act. They've been ignoring it for too long.

Reto-active might work. Red or Yellow card depending where the diving happened. But fraught with danger as it's down to subjectivity again. Dunno. Maybe send Michael Christensen to FIFA

I agree its still subjective. I'd just do it for things that are very clear. I've had discussions with people over here who haven't necessarily played the game and they've seen instances of players going down for what seems like a relatively minor touch. I can tell you from experience that when travelling at high speed, even just the slightest touch can knock you completely off balance. In my younger days I players either on the wing or up forward and I was quite quick. Slight touches that look really bad in slow motion actually can have a massive impact on your momentum and your ability to keep your feet when running at a fast pace.

mrposhman said:
I agree its still subjective. I'd just do it for things that are very clear. I've had discussions with people over here who haven't necessarily played the game and they've seen instances of players going down for what seems like a relatively minor touch. I can tell you from experience that when travelling at high speed, even just the slightest touch can knock you completely off balance. In my younger days I players either on the wing or up forward and I was quite quick. Slight touches that look really bad in slow motion actually can have a massive impact on your momentum and your ability to keep your feet when running at a fast pace.

Forwards are wimps. But agree that a slight touch can knock you off balance when travelling at speed.

Baloo said:
Forwards are wimps. But agree that a slight touch can knock you off balance when travelling at speed.

Its all changed in the modern game. I remember when I grew up playing as a forward and you were told to watch out in the first few minutes as the central defender was always coming straight through from behind to remind you that he's there. Can't do it now without risking a card of some sort in the first few minutes but it hurts when that happens. A nice crape of studs down the back of a bare calf isn't the best feeling in the world.

Games changed and a lot of forwards are now very soft.

It's a blight on soccer.

Needs to best amped out. Give them a red card if proven ( dive taken and the part of contact has nothing to do with the area they are holding).

Being a player down will quickly sought this out.

That's why my boy went from playing soccer to AFL.

mrposhman said:
Its all changed in the modern game. I remember when I grew up playing as a forward and you were told to watch out in the first few minutes as the central defender was always coming straight through from behind to remind you that he's there. Can't do it now without risking a card of some sort in the first few minutes but it hurts when that happens. A nice crape of studs down the back of a bare calf isn't the best feeling in the world.

Games changed and a lot of forwards are now very soft.
Yep. First chance you had you'd run through the forward to let him know he was going to have a tough day.

Watching the game now, I don't think I could play the game these days. I copped more than my fair share of yellow and red in my day. These days I'd be a liability.

Baloo said:
Yeah, but 10 or 15 is too quick. A kick in the shins bloody hurts as does a corky. That magic spray can ease the pain quickly.

How about if the trainers come onto the field to check on an injured player, that player needs to go off the field for a min 5 minutes. If the player doesn't want the trainer, the game continues.

Keeping them off for a half with a team playing one down will create a scenario where players go out to injure each other. That's probably worse.
Ah, but the key is though Baloo, the player going out deliberately trying to injure the other player would be off with a red too. Before the system of yellow and red cards was brought in, there was a lot of that dirty behaviour going on, with defenders deliberately hurting the person in possession. Refs don't miss much on this front as the onus is always on the defender having the duty of care under the current officiating standards (hence your discussion on fwds now being soft). Unfortunately though, it's shifted the pendulum too far in favour of the player in possession. And diving/faking is the result of them exploiting this situation.

It's all about trying to get the balance right.

Panthera Tigris said:
Ah, but the key is though Baloo, the player going out deliberately trying to injure the other player would be off with a red too.

A good central defender knows how to hurt but make it look legitimate if they really want too. Playing 1 short, or more, for a half is a penalty for the team. If it was a real injury, but not one that would result in sitting out the match, it's unfairly penalising the team. Won't work. 5 mins would be max

MD Jazz said:
Spot on. It would only take a couple of red cards and it would be eliminated. Imagine if Neymar missed the next game because of his outrageous behaviour, would soon stamp out the fakes.
Yep, no way should he play the next game if FIFA were serious about players playing to the spirit of the game and not cheating. But when the entire organisation is infested with corrupt cheats, I wouldn't hold my breath.

England v Columbia at penalties now.

1 - 1
2 - 2
2 - 3 brilliant save. England in trouble
3 - 3 near miss. Even
Columbia missed
England win a penalty shoot out. Amazing.

Tigers of Old said:
Dive-fest. Rubbish sport.

Used to think the same, until i played the game for a couple of years in my late 20's, and yes it does have it's divers. But after playing the game i do have a respect for it. I do prefer Aussie Rules though.

Things are looking good for England, they play Sweden and then the winner of Russia and Croatia in the semis. Their 1/4 final against Sweden is arguably the harder game.

tigerman said:
Things are looking good for England, they play Sweden and then the winner of Russia and Croatia in the semis. Their 1/4 final against Sweden is arguably the harder game.

Croatia are a very good technical side and have 2 of the best midfielders in the world in Modric and Rakitic.

I'm stoked to have won a penalty shootout (I still remember the first one in 1996 against Spain, only to be knocked out in the next match by the Germans in another shootout). I'll admit after al the losses over the years a tear was in my eye to have finally won one.

Sweden will be hard to breakdown and we aren't opening teams up that easily and I think Croatia will be in the semi, tough game, strong defence and a very technically gifted midfield.

There should be some crackers of QF's coming up. I may be the kiss if death as fancied Germany and Spain before the tournament started, but Uruguay have probably looked the most consistent team throughout the tournament this time round. Maybe a new trophy needed for 2022.

Penalties ( in my eyes ) is a harsh way to sort out an outcome of games.

What are peoples thoughts ?

1. Keep playing after extra time until goal is scored ( golden goal )?
2. Take a player off after extra time every x mins until a goal is scored ?