World Cup 2018 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

World Cup 2018

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Tigers of Old said:
Dive-fest. Rubbish sport.

Then you'll enjoy this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/05/what-is-shithousery-and-why-its-the-world-cups-biggest-problem?CMP=soc_568

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Germany, Spain, Argentina and now Brazil are out of the World Cup, Belgium 2, Brazil 1.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
No South American teams left, I really hope a team thats never won it before wins, except for Russia.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
IanG said:
No South American teams left, I really hope a team thats never won it before wins, except for Russia.
Yes if that were to occur, one might be a bit concerned that dark forces within Russia not only bribed their way to hosting rights, but bought themselves a bloody World Cup as well! :eek:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
tigerman said:
Germany, Spain, Argentina and now Brazil are out of the World Cup, Belgium 2, Brazil 1.

Belgium should be favourites from here.

Nervous to watch England here, not a great record against the swedes.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Go the poms. Sweden a most defensive, boring style, great that England have scored.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
All over Sweeden MD.

Fortunate another wasn't added.

Sweeden don't look likely.

HT

England 1-0 Sweeden

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I think all this talk of Sterling not scoring for England is firmly in his head, great chance at the end there

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I like how they've picked so much pace in the team too. Very different to the "old" England.

That goal was coming for a while.

Sweden should have just scored. Pickford looking good.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Question to those who follow football more closely, are England's set pieces the most innovative in the game? I haven't seen other teams do what they're doing with set pieces.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
IanG said:
Question to those who follow football more closely, are England's set pieces the most innovative in the game? I haven't seen other teams do what they're doing with set pieces.

Yes they work on them a lot. I suspect they know they aren't as technically gifted as some of the teams in terms of opening defences up so have focused on alternative areas to give more avenues to goal. Got some really big and strong boys too (the 2 Harry's are the biggest) that creates a lot of holding in the box and has provided penalties too. They've definitely focused on these areas I reckon.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
They do IanG.

The best at it.

You could see Sweden so concerned and really had not much idea.

Glad Croatia beat Russia.
For a minute I thought if Russia won I would be calling for investigations but phew!

England have a real chance with the South Americans out.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I hope Belgium win for the simple reason that I don't know anyone from Belgium.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Nomorewaiting said:
Thanks for all your views!

Tough one.

Just ( for me ) it's heartbreaking to see sides lose who have had all the play( don't get the lead ) then come penalties ( lose ).

That's the way it is I guess.

Couldn't remember it trailed before and didn't know hockey had/has similarly tried it.

Thanks.

Look forward to Saturday and Sunday games. Hate the wait though .
At one point did team with most corners determine winner if a draw?
I have thought that kicks from outside the box with defensive walls just like normal free kicks would be more realistic... Play keeps going until defensive team can clear the ball back over the half way line or the attacking team puts it over the end or side line. If team A scores then Team b gets its chance buts it basically sudden death.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Not bad 22nd.

Cant wait for Wednesday & Thursdays games.

hope not decided by penalties . Russia one was fine. ( LAUGH-CHEEKY )