World Cup 2022 official thread (incl. remaining Qualifiers!) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

World Cup 2022 official thread (incl. remaining Qualifiers!)

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Know what you mean Angry. Beautiful language with all the sing song intonation that Welsh people have speaking English.

Think I read something like French takes a native English speaker on average about 500 learning hours to reach competent fluency (German something similar - perhaps slightly more). Welsh is more like 1500 hours!

And when you think about it. Most native English speakers can make out a few words here and there of what a French or German speaker might be talking about, due to common roots. But Welsh, as you say, couldn’t make out a bloody thing!

PS….sorry for the Essay. Guess what we’re my nerd subjects at school? :)
No vowels?

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Off topic but can an expert on the world game tell me what level Aleague is equivalent to in UK football? 2nd 3rd division? How about the lower leagues in France Germany etc?

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Off topic but can an expert on the world game tell me what level Aleague is equivalent to in UK football? 2nd 3rd division? How about the lower leagues in France Germany etc?
I’m no expert. But have been told by others it’s really hard to compare.

From what I understand, each A-League team might have a couple of players good enough to play championship level (sometimes a marquee player that could play for a lowly ranked Premier League Club).

Then the rest of the squad has a sprinkling of players at every level from league 1 down to English non league.

That’s what was told to me quite a few years ago. Not sure if that would still be the case.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I’m no expert. But have been told by others it’s really hard to compare.

From what I understand, each A-League team might have a couple of players good enough to play championship level (sometimes a marquee player that could play for a lowly ranked Premier League Club).

Then the rest of the squad has a sprinkling of players at every level from league 1 down to English non league.

That’s what was told to me quite a few years ago. Not sure if that would still be the case.

Yeah I would have put in a guess of League 1 level

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Yeah I would have put in a guess of League 1 level

This is kind of off on a bit of a different perspective of answering the same question. From 4 years ago.

Interesting, one of the posts in the reader’s comments suggests that maybe it’s at about the standard of the second tier of the Dutch football.

“Further up I equate the A-League as being very close to the Eerstedivisie in terms of player salaries, revenue and even standard of football, so it makes sense that you would equate SFC, currently the top A-League team, with the bottom of the Eredivisie. We will occasionally get player movement between the A-League and the lower Eredivisie clubs, but very rarely does it happen between the A-League and the bigger Eredivisie clubs.”

And another compares it to Scotland. So perhaps A-League teams might be fairly evenly matched to the lower half Scottish PL teams?

“….I like to compare where we are against Scotland, the Spl is completely dominated by 2 teams whose travelling crowds provide 3/4 of the support at away venues .
The skill level in Scotland is not brilliant, but not mediocre either , the pace of the game in Scotland is faster , but you get that when you play in freezing temperatures as opposed to the heat of summer in Australia.

Even watching the English championship at times , it’s not particularly skilful , what they do have in that level are better finishers and that is something that Australia as a football nation needs to continue to improve is the final third and finishing of goals……”

Last edited:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

So Wales qualified for the world cup for the first time since the 1950s. We all know the singing prowess of their rugby crowds. Looks like their football fans, not to be outdone are bringing their lungs to the world cup.

The performer (who wrote the song back in the 1970s) and some of the older members of the crowd are brought to tears. Keeping the Welsh language alive.
Magnificent.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Somewhere on the long voyage by sail our English Welsh Scots and Irish forebears lost the singing gene. we don't sing in public.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
0-0 after the 90 minutes, a break before going into extra time.
Socceroos look to be the fitter side, so have to be a good chance of getting the result.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Peru stepped up a gear in extra time.

Ref has been very good this match.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Peru look happy for this to go to penalties

Aust clearly been the better side but again let down by finishing.

Really hope we can get it done in this final extra period

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
How long does it take to get a player off the pitch with cramp, i'm talking about the Peruvian.