10,000,000 Cousins threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

10,000,000 Cousins threads [Merged]

Will Ben Cousins Be Playing In The AFL Next Year?

• Yes, At The Eagles

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Yes, At Another Club

Votes: 92 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 136 51.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 9.9%

• Total voters
Re: What would you give up for Cousins?

rosy said:
They are still an influence on the young kids coming through no matter how good thay are at football.

As Cogs' proud president rosy would like Leysey to know Mark isn't going to be on the trade table. We have our own home grown potential Brownlow Medalist and a future captain who'll lead by example into the bargain.

Eat 'Em Alive Cogs.

Momentai would like to say to Rosy that despite his off field connections Cous is a very good on field leader and that we desperately need players of his class if we are to threaten for the top 4.

..and to Leysey that alth Cogs hasn't yet quite reached Cousins skill wise, that he has in all other respects and will never leave the Tiges. Gas however might look very attractive to Eagles who don't fly down back. ;D  

No 4 said:
RemoteTiger said:
Whispers tell me that Cousins has a very young "wet behind the ears" easily led mind. Gardiner apparently has been leading him astray for a while. Maybe a shift interstate away from the "crowd" he is being led by could be the best thing that happens to his career.

In answer to your question - What would you give up for Cousins? - it would be a very difficult decision - but I would reluctantly trade one great mid fielder for an out-side mid fielder with a raking left foot in Tivendale - the wide open spaces of Subiaco would suit his game and he would blossom under Worsfold.

That is fair - they get rid of a player with poor attitude who is a thorn in their side for a running player who can deliver the ball deep inside the 50 line on Subi oval - occasionally.

eagles will want a proven player plus a early draft pick.

Tiva's proven - draft pick no probs for a player of Cousins stature...........

Cousins is top shelf so if he became available you'd be mad not to consider ALL options. However at 27 he's probably only got 2 or 3 years of elite footy left in the tank so you wouldn't do anything too rash.
If WCE want to trade for Judd or Hunter on the other hand....

Leysy Days said:
rosy said:
RROFO said:
Come on guys. We only just got rid of Zantuck. :crazy

Indeed. :clap

comparing Zantuck to Cousins is taking a very very long bow.

One is one of the premier midfielders in the land......the other a very very average footballer

chalk n cheese

Not interested in how well he plays, I agree with everything you say. What I am talking about is the influence he would have at the club and on the young players. Maybe he is harmless, I don't know. Do you risk changing the culture for one, admittedly talented, individual, or do you concentrate on someone like Lids who hopefully will end up just as good.

I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. But that's just me and I am by no means an expert in these things.

rosy said:
They are still an influence on the young kids coming through no matter how good thay are at football.

As Cogs' proud president rosy would like Leysey to know Mark isn't going to be on the trade table. We have our own home grown potential Brownlow Medalist and a future captain who'll lead by example into the bargain.

Eat 'Em Alive Cogs.

just playing devils advocate here Rosy.......but IF Richmond were to go into the market for Cousins Cougs would be the minimum required to entice him.

i'm on Momentai's side on his on-field leadership as well....he leads exceptionally well on the field, has an exceptional work ethic & has the full backing & respect of his peers, what more can you ask.

along with that if the Eagles did trade him imagine Cousins resolve & single mindedness to prove his detractors wrong........

A hard running goalkicking midfielder is exactly what we require

As good a player as Cogs is...hes not in the elite league of Cousins is he & IMO clubs are too reticent to make gutsy trades such as this one.

Anyhow we are drawing a very long bow to suggest anything will remotely occur in this respect anyway.

Cousins has won the Brownlow in a year his team lost the Grand Final by 4 points. He was the dominant player of the year winning nearly all media awards. He has been remarkably consistent for many years and would have a minimum 3 years left at that level plus a few more as a second stringer. He is a gun.

Two first round draft picks would not go close to getting him. You would need as a minimum Cogs and two first rounders - maybe more. Just check what players with far less ability than Cousins have attracted in recent years including Ottens, Thompson, Rawlings etc

Cousins

Law :whistle

For the player, he might be good at leadership and playing, so for the player possibly a couple of high draft picks, if that doesn't suffice then don't do a trade. (we wont be getting any high draft picks this year :) )

This is what I would give up for Cousins.

Didn't Woewodin win a Brownlow in the year his club lost the GF... not saying they are the same, just interesting, isn't it.... ?

feisty tige said:
Cousins

Law :whistle

For the player, he might be good at leadership and playing, so for the player possibly a couple of high draft picks, if that doesn't suffice then don't do a trade. (we wont be getting any high draft picks this year :) )

This is what I would give up for Cousins.

Didn't Woewodin win a Brownlow in the year his club lost the GF... not saying they are the same, just interesting, isn't it.... ?

Feisty, with all due respect comparing Cousins and Woewoeful is not on. Cousins is a better player than every single player on our list.

jb03, I did say that it was interesting, not that they are the same (about Woey and Cousins).

I think the question itself holds the key.

To me, the cost may be too great.

I certainly wouldn't be wanting to give away any early draft picks in the 2006 draft, and didn't Leon Cameron teach us enough about chasing twilight players from other clubs.

feisty tige said:
jb03, I did say that it was interesting, not that they are the same (about Woey and Cousins).

OK, fair enough.  Forget his off field stuff; I find some of the possible trades thrown up for Cousins ridiculous.

Tell the weagles we'll keep Tivendale and Chaffey on for another couple of years and they'll probably throw in Wirrupunda

jb03 said:
feisty tige said:

OK, fair enough.  Forget his off field stuff; I find some of the possible trades thrown up for Cousins ridiculous.

ere' ere' JB,

as much respect for Coughlan that I have, to suggest you wouldnt trade him for Cousins is well laughable & head in sand stuff really

jb03 said:
feisty tige said:
Cousins is a better player than every single player on our list.
Agree. We haven't got anyone in his class and I'll include Browny with his current injury questions and Lids who is still to prove he will be as good a player as Cousins. They are the only two who would come close to his value.

Let the Pies do the main deal, with the Tigers as a 3rd party to give little but take a lot in a 3-way trade.

ie T. Cloke to the Tigers.

2 x top ten choices and a ki of crunk. Something for each of his clubs.

Sheedy will straighten him out, let him go to Essendon. :crazy
Or would he fit in better at Carlton with Fev? :sheep

TOT70 said:
Worsfold will need the wisdom of Solomon to get out of this one. HAving just made a stand on Gardner, this could not have been any worse timed.

So that's it then. Cousins to Essendon, Solomon to WCE. It wouldn't normally seem like a fair trade, TOT. ;D