10,000,000 Cousins threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

10,000,000 Cousins threads [Merged]

Will Ben Cousins Be Playing In The AFL Next Year?

• Yes, At The Eagles

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Yes, At Another Club

Votes: 92 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 136 51.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 9.9%

• Total voters
Re: What would you give up for Cousins?

Leysy Days said:
[.......... to suggest you wouldnt trade him for Cousins is well laughable & head in sand stuff really

Laughable that may well be depending on your sense of humour Leysey but saying it's head in the sand is ....well laughable.  :eek:

There's far more to a player than their past on-field performances.

Cousins off-field behaviour leaves a bit to be desired and there are rumours (wouldn't have a clue if they're true or not) in regard to his nocturnal behaviour which may or may not influence his future playing value.  If they are even half true I'd prefer him to stay away from our kids, same as I knew enough to be rapt when Ty got the flick.  A very bad influence.

Cousins is towards the end of his career, granted probably has a few years to go, and Cogs is a relative newcomer with a lot yet to achieve.  Would he have the passion and hunger to repeat it all at another club in a different state?  Who knows but worthy of thought.

We've got a group of kids coming through together.  What would be the effect of ripping the core out of that for a shorter-term fix when we're by all accounts building a team for the future?

Cousins is a good on-field leader with a group of players he's come through the ranks with.  Would he be as effective as a stanger starting out in another team?

There's no need to answer the hypotheticals.  Neither of us knows the answers but there are more issues than some slick skills and a Brownlow medal to consider before trading our heart and soul away.

Cuz obviously appeals to you.  I think Cogs is a big part of our future success.

rosy said:
Leysy Days said:
[.......... to suggest you wouldnt trade him for Cousins is well laughable & head in sand stuff really

Laughable that may well be depending on your sense of humour Leysey but saying it's head in the sand is ....well laughable.  :eek:

There's far more to a player than their past on-field performances.

Cousins off-field behaviour leaves a bit to be desired and there are rumours (wouldn't have a clue if they're true or not) in regard to his nocturnal behaviour which may or may not influence his future playing value.  If they are even half true I'd prefer him to stay away from our kids, same as I knew enough to be rapt when Ty got the flick.  A very bad influence.

Cousins is towards the end of his career, granted probably has a few years to go, and Cogs is a relative newcomer with a lot yet to achieve.  Would he have the passion and hunger to repeat it all at another club in a different state?  Who knows but worthy of thought.

We've got a group of kids coming through together.  What would be the effect of ripping the core out of that for a shorter-term fix when we're by all accounts building a team for the future?

Cousins is a good on-field leader with a group of players he's come through the ranks with.  Would he be as effective as a stanger starting out in another team?

There's no need to answer the hypotheticals.  Neither of us knows the answers but there are more issues than some slick skills and a Brownlow medal to consider before trading our heart and soul away.

Cuz obviously appeals to you.  I think Cogs is a big part of our future success.

To say we wouldnt swap Cogs for a 4 time b&f, 5 x All aus, reigning brownlow medallist I've got to disagree with.

He's 27 years old, extremely injury free, in the prime of his career with at least 3 more seasons at that level followed by another 3 or more at a level just below that to come.

As for his nocturnal behaviour being compared to Zantucks well the best way I could put it would be when he left The RFC players were very happy to see the back of him. In Cousins case however both Judd & Embley have reportedly knocked the captaincy back because they believe Cousins to be the right person to lead them into the future....

anyways its all hypotheticals & FWIW By Geez I think Cogs (fitness pending) will be a big part of our future success too rosy. :clap (just not as much as Cuz would be) ;D

Would never happen anyway but i have no doubt absolutely no doubt there are at least 10 -12 players at RFC i would give WCE for Cousins if not more.
He is a premier footballer pure and simple and how many of them do we have 1 maybe 2 with Lids maybe to make that 3.

Would never happen but i would axe plenty of tigers for him, sad thing is most of the players i would happily give them wouldnt rate amongst WCE heirachy.

6 Cubans and bank note. Otherwise, no deal.

I would most definetley give them Tivers!
But then again i would give them Tivers for nothing.

Rumour has it that he wasn't drunk. And ran away from the booze bus for other reasons. Why would you run from the booze bus if you're not drunk?
If the rumours are true, then we haven't heard the end of the story. And if true, we don't want him at Richmond.

poppa x said:
Rumour has it that he wasn't drunk.  And ran away from the booze bus for other reasons.   Why would you run from the booze bus if you're not drunk?
If the rumours are true, then we haven't heard the end of the story.  And if true, we don't want him at Richmond.

Come-on. Richmond players now have a decorated history of drinking while driving. Imagine the fun and games had o'l Schulz actually been sober enough to spot the nice policeman and do a runner prior to being collared for driving under the influence. Admittedly he isn't as fast as Cousins in the game of heel toe but still, he should have given the arrswting officer a good workout. ;D

The top 10 reasons why Cousins would have been so much better off playing for Richmond rather than West Coast:-

1. Our ever-diligent Board members would have talked him out of running.
2. With Zantuck no longer on the scene there are no mafia types here to lead him astray.
3. We have far fewer sponsors left for him to alienate. 
4. ?
5. ?
?

Other suggestions fellow PREenders?

mb64 said:
Cousins has officially stepped down as captain.

To come back to earth for a moment, my guess is that it will take a far stronger personality than Cousins to deal with the sudden loss of reputation that leaving the captaincy will now lead to.

With the additional pressure I reckon that Ricky Nixon will be putting off contract negoc until Cous is sure he knows what he wants. In the meantime Melb teams in particular will be doing their sums.

I would be amazed if he still left the eagles to go anywhere.

Tubytiger said:
I would be amazed if he still left the eagles to go anywhere.

The only prev off field incident I can think of which led to the loss of a captaincy concerned one N Crowe? That was 35 yrs ago. Now the pressure is going to be much greater... you may be right TT but how the Eagles get through this is going to be a major test for players and coaching staff alike.

For starters will Cousins be asked to follow Gardiner back to the WAFL? Probably not but if that was what he was told wd occur last yr ...

Maybe a huge mistake in dealing with the matter in this way. Insisting on a say $50,000 donation to charity would have been a better option imo.

Regardless of the innuendo, and as has been mentioned countless times the only "proven" law he's broken so far is parking in the wrong spot.
I think losing the captaincy is a huge punishment not too mention his renegotiated contract? & the countless corporate $$$ in sponsorship he'll forfeit.
I can't see them dropping him to the WAFL as well!!!!

He had to lose his captaincy, it was the only honorable thing they could do. What a shame, to be his age and blow an opportunity like that.

Still, I'd happily give up Krak and throw in a couple of board members to get him into a Tiger's jumper (plus counselling). :thumbsup

The BIG trade.

Cousins for the big "O".

Cousins back to his father's alma mater.

The big "O", the other side of Australia from Kingy and his mates.

Phantom said:
The BIG trade.

Cousins for the big "O".

Cousins back to his father's alma mater.

The big "O", the other side of Australia from Kingy and his mates.
Don't you mean the big "O" plus a decent player?