10,000,000 Cousins threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

10,000,000 Cousins threads [Merged]

Will Ben Cousins Be Playing In The AFL Next Year?

• Yes, At The Eagles

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Yes, At Another Club

Votes: 92 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 136 51.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 9.9%

• Total voters
Re: Cousins charged by AFL bringing game into disrepute

willo said:
No worries Lee, I quoted article in its entirety, only a snippet I know but seems there's a lot of "smoke" coming from over the west, must be pretty disappointing for wce supporters not knowing who is involved or not.
No wonder some players are getting pist off, so much innuendo and media driven, innocent players are being viewed with suspicion.
Maybe they'd like a new home ;)

thanks willo - I am so glad the mud has nothing to do with the Tigers - how devastating that would be and must be for the supporters of WCE. ...... and yes, and lets hope they look for that new home in the PSD! :clap

At last count those in favour of Cousins being drafted by us outnumbered those against 2 to 1. More in a mo ...

Since then Cousins has been charged and in a separate incident police were called to stop a carpark brawl between Embley and Kerr.

In respnse WC make no comment on their listed player Cousins, who appears to have been kept on the list not because of possible player payments, but because WC and Demetriou have colluded to keep him on the list because that is a requisite before someone can be charged with bringing the game into disrepute. (Sleep easy Pratt.) And this despite earlier statements from both WC and the AFL that he was being delisted.

WC and Kerr downplay the fight :rofl and Embley who must feel like Daniel in the Lions Den, again says nothing.

So WC run for cover over Kerr Embley, but join Demetriou in hanging Ben out to dry.

Demetrious involvement in these manouverings is hardly consistent with the Commission appearing to be an impartial arbiter in regard to Bens future rights. And if Ben is suspended and wishes to challenge such a decision, I think he would have a very good chance of success.

As I and others have suggested, maybe a deal will be done to allow him to register for the draft and be drafted by the Tigers and then accept a suspension until an independent medical panel views him as having recovered from his addiction.

Time for the Tigers to publicly support Ben and announce our interest.

Then Demetriou will be able to devote his devious mind to Embley and the possibility that he wishes to move on immediately and is prepared to sue the WC for contract breach, if he isn't released.

momentai said:
At last count those in favour of Cousins being drafted by us outnumbered those against 2 to 1. More in a mo ...

Since then Cousins has been charged and in a separate incident police were called to stop a carpark brawl between Embley and Kerr.

In respnse WC make no comment on their listed player Cousins, who appears to have been kept on the list not because of possible player payments, but because WC and Demetriou have colluded to keep him on the list because that is a requisite before someone can be charged with bringing the game into disrepute. (Sleep easy Pratt.) And this despite earlier statements from both WC and the AFL that he was being delisted.

WC and Kerr downplay the fight :rofl and Embley who must feel like Daniel in the Lions Den, again says nothing.

So WC run for cover over Kerr Embley, but join Demetriou in hanging Ben out to dry.

Demetrious involvement in these manouverings is hardly consistent with the Commission appearing to be an impartial arbiter in regard to Bens future rights. And if Ben is suspended and wishes to challenge such a decision, I think he would have a very good chance of success.

As I and others have suggested, maybe a deal will be done to allow him to register for the draft and be drafted by the Tigers and then accept a suspension until an independent medical panel views him as having recovered from his addiction.

Then Demetriou will be able to devote his devious mind to Embley and the possibility that he wishes to move on immediately and is prepared to sue the WC for contract breach, if he isn't released.
You obviously don't live in WA momentous.

momentai said:
In respnse WC make no comment on their listed player Cousins, who appears to have been kept on the list not because of possible player payments, but because WC and Demetriou have colluded to keep him on the list because that is a requisite before someone can be charged with bringing the game into disrepute. (Sleep easy Pratt.

Dunno about that, they charged a coach (Sheedy) with the same thing.

momentai said:

There was nothing to downplay. This incident was a massive media beat-up (pardon the pun).

Its interesting now that the AFL have bought these charges against Cousins that they come out in the Media and say they won't be reviewing or changing there drug Policy as Cricket Australia has done which is supposed to be closer aligned to the preferred Government Policy.

Not only has there Policy failed to detect Cousins, for whatever reason, but what action have the AFL taken to assist Cousins since he came out and admitted his problems. It will make interesting reading if Cousins takes them to court if they try and prevent him from entering the PSD.

They will probably come out and fine him a thousand bucks and say look we showed that Ben Cousins not to mess with us. ;D ;D Otherwise I suspect they know it will get nasty and doubt the Eagles want any part of this right at the moment either with all there troubles at the moment.

Bill James said:
Not a fan of the West Coast or Ben Cousins attitude for that matter, but to be fair to the WC they are a little hamstrung. As I understand it the clubs are not allowed to drug test players which makes it very difficult to prove drug behaviour and take action. The onus for drug testing and thefore evidence than can exact mandatory penalties or education programs, rests with the AFL not the WC.

Fair point BJ. I guess I was trying to look at the bigger picture rather just the recent shenanagans of Cuz in particular. There seems to be a much deeper problem over there and I for one find it hard to believe that the club can't see it. Here is a guy who could have become an icon of our great game who is lost to us now. Isn't that too high a price to pay? Isn't it time the West Coast Emus pulled their heads out of the sand?

This isn't just about Cuz. It's about a group of young men developing destructive behaviours that are reinforced by inaction. If we let them away with pointing the finger at Cuz as though there isn't a bigger issue then nothing will change. And more active young men with money burning holes in their pockets will find themselves in the same boat. Ask Mrs Mainwarring if she thinks the club did everything it could?

gustiger12 said:
Not only has there Policy failed to detect Cousins, for whatever reason

The tests are quite costly to perform (around $1000 each). I think they only conduct ~500 tests per year. Given that there were over 700 listed players in the AFL this year (including rookies), and that some players will be tested more than once, there's a fair chance a player will go through a season without even being tested - perhaps several seasons if they're lucky.

IMO the AFL's policy is intended to be a deterrent more than a procedure to actually catch and 'help' drug users.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The tests are quite costly to perform (around $1000 each). I think they only conduct ~500 tests per year. Given that there were over 700 listed players in the AFL this year (including rookies), and that some players will be tested more than once, there's a fair chance a player will go through a season without even being tested - perhaps several seasons if they're lucky.

IMO the AFL's policy is intended to be a deterrent more than a procedure to actually catch and 'help' drug users.
Maybe the AFL can buy some of those basic little drug swabs of the plod and at least test the boys on a regular basis to see if they have been up to anything. If they get a reaction from the swab then they can do a full in depth test to find out what flavours the boys have been on.
Or even better they could line each player up for say five tests a year, do four of them randomly maybe after the players have had a night out instead of midweek and save the fifth test for just in case so the players know they still have a test hanging over them.
650 players
=3250000

The AFL runs a multi billion dollar industry, if they can't afford a lousy couple of mill to clean up the game and keep the boofheads under control then Dimi and all his megabuck commissioners need to pack up their marbles and NAFF OFF.

One good idea I heard on SEN was a guy suggested ANY player on a first strike pays for his own mandatory testing. Still gets his confidentiality, pays a financial penalty, and also is subjected to greater testing without diluting the pool the AFL pays for.

Slightly off the Cousins specific issue, but related to what you are chatting about now.

Azza said:
I don't have a problem with the 3 strikes policy as such. The trouble seems to be with it's implementation by the clubs (well, one club in particular). The policy works on the basis that clubs will take an active role in trying to wean players off drugs. WC has operated well outside the spirit of the policy, and so it has failled.

The problem I see is in frequency of testing. For the 3 strikes policy to work, testing must be sufficient to detect positive results, which it clearly isn't at the moment.

mld said:
The problem I see is in frequency of testing. For the 3 strikes policy to work, testing must be sufficient to detect positive results, which it clearly isn't at the moment.
Dimi and his mates seem to think that the possibility of maybe being tested one day is enough to scare people away from trying the gear.Phhhhhhhhhhhhhht!
Doesn't matter what the possible penalties may be someone is always going to rort the system, performance or recreational.
They need to put in a minimum number of random tests per player with a holder to hang over them just in case and as 74 posted let the buggers that get caught pay for their own tests, and maybe a minimum of ten a year for them.

If the AFL had any footballs they would charge Prat with bringing the game into disrepute as mentioned in the Sun today.
Prats the one who has pleaded guilty and fined $36,000,000 for stealing over $700 odd mill through a cartel.
Come on AFL lets see if you have the footballs to charge Pratt as you did Cuz. ::)

Yeah how much extra of our hard earned has than ctn of carlton draught (plus other stuff) cost us over the years
Bloody Pratt :mad: reckon PRE should start a class action on our behalf against thievin mongrel :police:, I'm prepared to chuck in. Any other takers? Ask for $5 mil each, I'm prepared to donate 5% to PRE and 5% to RFC from my share if successful, the more the merrier. :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana
250 gorillas from coming to you Rosy luv. 8)

:rofl

Just when you thought this couldn't get any better.....

Ben Cousins back in Australia
November 07, 2007
FORMER West Coast Eagles AFL star Ben Cousins has reportedly arrived back in Australia from a stint in rehab in the US.

Cousins today flew into Sydney, where he would continue his rehab before returning to Western Australia, Perth radio station 6PR said.

Cousins was accompanied by his father.

It is understood he has returned to attend an AFL tribunal which will decide his future in as a professional footballer.

The one-time AFL star was last month sacked by the Eagles after a string of off-field incidents.

He flew to Los Angeles for a second stint of rehab on October 25.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22717563-12377,00.html

I have had bouts of Gastro that lasted longer than this spell :rofl

Shows how the priorities are stacked though, change rehab plans completely in order to attend a commission hearing in person to try and save your chances of playing in 2008. Speaking via video from rehab would have done his cause a lot more help than this effort.

Tigers of Old said:
Can't really blame him given what's at stake & it does suggest he will continue his rehab back here

I know, but didn't he pass up on doing rehab here before (I forget the reasons)?

Tiger74 said:
I know, but didn't he pass up on doing rehab here before (I forget the reasons)?

To get away from the distraction of drugs, sex, crime and murder. What better place than the US?

GoodOne said:
To get away from the distraction of drugs, sex, crime and murder. What better place than the US?
Columbia?

GoodOne said:
As i expressed earlier in this thread.He wasn't over there for re-hab he was there to help the crips 'way down in Compton.'

Jobs done.

I expect he will feature in the next issue of Sony's grand theft auto(Compton edition)[/quote]So Beeny ended up bangin' in Hermosa Beach rather than Compton.

Not a bad guess only 2 suburbs away. ;D