10,000,000 Cousins threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

10,000,000 Cousins threads [Merged]

Will Ben Cousins Be Playing In The AFL Next Year?

• Yes, At The Eagles

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Yes, At Another Club

Votes: 92 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 136 51.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 9.9%

• Total voters
Re: Cousins charged by AFL bringing game into disrepute

Bill James said:
Not a fan of the West Coast or Ben Cousins attitude for that matter, but to be fair to the WC they are a little hamstrung. As I understand it the clubs are not allowed to drug test players which makes it very difficult to prove drug behaviour and take action. The onus for drug testing and thefore evidence than can exact mandatory penalties or education programs, rests with the AFL not the WC.

He's in drug rehabilitation. Seems to me that's enough proof without needing to drug test the player. Cousins, tragically, is the guilty party. He should step out of footy even for a year for his own benefit. The rigours of AFL footy is enough distraction for a player with a serious drug habit. As a drug addict once mentioned, you don't just magically stop the urge to use drugs after a 3 week stint at drug rehabilitation. It can be a long battle for many many years. Cousins is best to resist the urge to play AFL and the lifestyle that can come with it.

Bill James said:
If it is good enough to publicly charge him then surely it is good enough to say on what grounds he is being charged.

The AFL is not prepared to publicly name players when they have evidence of drug abuse, but they are prepared to publicly charge players without specifying on what basis they are being charged.

Two words: star chamber.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Two words: star chamber.
Sorry you use words with which I am unfamiliar grasshopper.

Bill James said:
Sorry you use words with which I am unfamiliar grasshopper.

Sorry Master Po. Wiki says "In modern usage, legal or administrative bodies with strict, arbitrary rulings and secretive proceedings are sometimes called, metaphorically or poetically, star chambers. This is a pejorative term and intended to cast doubt on the legitimacy of the proceedings."

Bill James said:
How can the AFL possibly charge him for bringing the game into disrepute for actions related to an addiction when its own drug policy was incapable of identifying him or educating him in the early stages of developing a substance abuse problem?
Might be wrong here, but I thought the club doctor is told after the first test? I seem to recall that after a positive test players are required to go through an 'educational' process. I thought after the second it is a more rigorous 'educational/rehab' session and after the third all doctor-patient privacy is over and you are publicly named, shamed and banned.

Obviously the AFL policy has flaws but I think in theory it is a decent process. I personally am against name and shame straight away, don't think it really helps anyone. It has been acknowledged people have gone through the first two stages and maybe it worked for them, it clearly didnt work for Ben. Especially if as reported ( ::)) he has never tested positive which is even more confusing?

Re: Cousins: The poll. Do you want the Tigers to draft Ben Cousins?

We should get cuz just for the amusement it would bring by reading the vitriole spewed by Wilson and Baum over the summer .Fair dinkum without doubt ,baum's latest article r.e cousins was strait from the pages of Famous. Whether he plays for us or not in the future I hope Ben get's it together and his legal team which will be pretty handy give the afl an absolute kicking

Kaelan said:
We should get cuz just for the amusement it would bring by reading the vitriole spewed by Wilson and Baum over the summer .Fair dinkum without doubt ,baum's latest article r.e cousins was strait from the pages of Famous. Whether he plays for us or not in the future I hope Ben get's it together and his legal team which will be pretty handy give the afl an absolute kicking

I am with you on that one Kaelan - if nothing else it will make the summer go quickly and may even give us a laugh at that moron Demetriou :hihi if Cousins takes him to court. What a summer we could be in for! :devilsmiley

TigersGoddess said:

Would Prefer Guy Richards over Cousins. Mainly due to age and the fact that we need hieght and one other thing.... ummm, what was it?? Oh yer, Guy Richards isnt a drug addicted criminal!

Elmer said:
Might be wrong here, but I thought the club doctor is told after the first test? I seem to recall that after a positive test players are required to go through an 'educational' process. I thought after the second it is a more rigorous 'educational/rehab' session and after the third all doctor-patient privacy is over and you are publicly named, shamed and banned.

Obviously the AFL policy has flaws but I think in theory it is a decent process. I personally am against name and shame straight away, don't think it really helps anyone. It has been acknowledged people have gone through the first two stages and maybe it worked for them, it clearly didnt work for Ben. Especially if as reported ( ::)) he has never tested positive which is even more confusing?
Point is Ben didn't get caught, how/why? If he didn't get caught how much gear are the players on two strikes doing?

Just reported in Sunday Mail "there is a another very high profile WCE star with a massive drug problem, believed to be more serious than Ben Cousins. The star has managed to sneak under the radar but his behaviour at several recent functions in Perth has alarm bells ringing."
Rumour or fact?
Maybe why Embley and Cox aren't too happy, I'd suggest more to come.

I wonder what grounds a contracted player might have to change clubs if he cites an unacceptable culture?

If the AFL ruled against it it could really opens up a can of worms if it went to the courts, proof/evidence, restraint of trade, safe working environment, compensation to original club? just a few issues that come to mind.
Just might be Benny is going to made an example of, to get the message through to others.

willo said:
Just reported in Sunday Mail "there is a another very high profile WCE star with a massive drug problem, believed to be more serious than Ben Cousins. The star has managed to sneak under the radar but his behaviour at several recent functions in Perth has alarm bells ringing."
Rumour or fact?

Who did Embley have a dust up with most recently? :-X

willo said:
Rumour or fact?

I wonder what grounds a contracted player might have to change clubs if he cites an unacceptable culture?

If the AFL ruled against it it could really opens up a can of worms if it went to the courts, proof/evidence, restraint of trade, safe working environment, compensation to original club? just a few issues that come to mind.
Just might be Benny is going to made an example of, to get the message through to others.

do you have a link to that story please willo as I can't seem to find it on the internet! Thanks!

tigerlee said:
do you have a link to that story please willo as I can't seem to find it on the internet! Thanks!
Sorry Lee I have a paper (newspaper) delivered from Adelaide, on page51 about 8 o'clock (bottom left hand corner) I'll see if I can find an electronic version

willo said:
Sorry Lee I have a paper (newspaper) delivered from Adelaide, on page51 about 8 o'clock (bottom left hand corner) I'll see if I can find an electronic version

Hope this is the same story try this link

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22666596-5006404,00.html

I am not sure this is the same story as this one was published on the 29th October and I think Willo is referring to a story in todays Adelaid paper. Thanks for this link though - it proves that it was Kerr that was involved with Embly in a dust up. Cheers

Good try BT but that was dated 29 Oct, this story is in todays (4 Nov) Sunday Mail, sorry TigerLee can't find it on net, but if there's anyone in SA on PRE they could confirm it.
Page 51, 1st column, 6th dot point story. All I can do, sorry Lee

I don't have a problem with the 3 strikes policy as such. The trouble seems to be with it's implementation by the clubs (well, one club in particular). The policy works on the basis that clubs will take an active role in trying to wean players off drugs. WC has operated well outside the spirit of the policy, and so it has failled.

willo said:
Good try BT but that was dated 29 Oct, this story is in todays (4 Nov) Sunday Mail, sorry TigerLee can't find it on net, but if there's anyone in SA on PRE they could confirm it.
Page 51, 1st column, 6th dot point story. All I can do, sorry Lee

hey there willo - thanks for trying. I didnt disbelieve that it is there - just wanted to see the story. Did it give an indication of who it was they are referring to? I think WCE are in strife big time and I wonder how Vlad is going to cover this one up. They havent got another Benny to sack to take the heat off the club anymore. I am sure that is what they did and now they have nothing to hide behind. That team should be looked at in detail and action taken. Players are responsible for their actions but the club must have known about this for some time and has failed to act. Shame WCE. Too late once your caught.

No worries Lee, I quoted article in its entirety, only a snippet I know but seems there's a lot of "smoke" coming from over the west, must be pretty disappointing for wce supporters not knowing who is involved or not.
No wonder some players are getting pist off, so much innuendo and media driven, innocent players are being viewed with suspicion.
Maybe they'd like a new home ;)