2015 draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2015 draft

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Kudo's to the recruiting staff.

Add a Ruckman and 2 more talented kids via the rookie list and our list already casts a shadow over last years mix!

:clap :clap :clap

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
blx said:

Add a Ruckman and 2 more talented kids via the rookie list and our list already casts a shadow over last years mix!

We simply have to get a ruck in the rookie draft.

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
blx said:

Yep was thinking the same this morning.

A ruck, a couple more mids and another tall KP back during this years rookie draft and next years draft and our list then looks like it's finally filled its holes from the sun tanned ones days. That is assuming the ones we picked over the last two years work out.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
TigerForce said:
Yep. An absolute must.

PSD 11:05am and Rookie 11:10am only on AFL website.
Thanks TF

IMHO , Rioli looks to have some nice glimpses and some tricks to work with, without looking in his realtions elite class, could well be a great aquasition to the side, looks second rounder type.

Mrakov looks a good type for the pick, has a rebounding half back look about him to me.

Broad types worry me when the game just doesn't flow for them at 22, 18 more of a chance, still looks to have some tools and good luck to the kid.

Welcome aboard boys , hopefully your all Premiership players

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
CC TIGER said:
Thanks TF

IMHO , Rioli looks to have some nice glimpses and some tricks to work with, without looking in his realtions elite class, could well be a great aquasition to the side, looks second rounder type.

Mrakov looks a good type for the pick, has a rebounding half back look about him to me.

Broad types worry me when the game just doesn't flow for them at 22, 18 more of a chance, still looks to have some tools and good luck to the kid.

Welcome aboard boys , hopefully your all Premiership players

Best thing about Rioli is that he isn't hyped up as a top 1st rounder with expectations of being as good as Grandpa Moz and Cuz Cyril. I love watching players become great rather than being great already.

Oleg is gonna be a big X-factor next year (bit like Menadue showed this season)

I reckon Broad is obviously a Dea cover...better.

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
With the sub rule gone and interchange rotations becoming less clubs are starting to pick blokes who can run all day.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
tigerdave said:
With the sub rule gone and interchange rotations becoming less clubs are starting to pick blokes who can run all day.

Yep, this is one big reason Matheison tumbled into the third round, can't hide these guys in a vest anymore.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
Yep, this is one big reason Matheison tumbled into the third round, can't hide these guys in a vest anymore.

what you think of the Draft haul & what shall we do in the rookie Draft, for mine i reckon we need a Ruck, even a state league one that's ready to go if req'd

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
I see Hisham Kerbatieh didnt get picked up at all. Many on here were a wrap for him. Surprising?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I reckon SCOOP might need a change of signature.

Has kicking? Vlastiuin, Lennon, CEllis, Menadue, Short, Rioli, Chol.
Has pace? McIntosh, Menadue, Drummond, Butler, Short, Castagna, Yarran, Rioli, Markov, Broad, Moore, Chol.
Has class? Vlastiuin, Lennon, CEllis, Menadue, Short, Rioli, Chol.
Think we'll pass?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
spook said:
I reckon SCOOP might need a change of signature.

Has kicking? Vlastiuin, Lennon, CEllis, Menadue, Short, Rioli, Chol.
Has pace? McIntosh, Menadue, Drummond, Butler, Short, Castagna, Yarran, Rioli, Markov, Broad, Moore, Chol.
Has class? Vlastiuin, Lennon, CEllis, Menadue, Short, Rioli, Chol.
Think we'll pass?

Think you might be right old boy. The last two years have been a solid refresh.

Still think we need to stock a few more mids but pace & class have been covered.

This draft was such a crap shoot after 12, I won't be too harsh on what happens after our picks because there is a high chance the best performers come from late picks. I quite like what we did. Still claiming my boy Mathieson, cannot fathom how Essendon passed on him.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Rancey18 said:
I see Hisham Kerbatieh didnt get picked up at all. Many on here were a wrap for him. Surprising?

Don't know to be honest, might have to dig a little deeper for answers. The main knock on him was the tank so maybe clubs have told him to go away and get fitter and then try again next year. Could also have been the fact his production was effectively halved at the carnival, average dropped from 20 touches to ten, possibly too big a drop off for recruiters. Ferreira & Dodge were other small forwards who were completely ignored, seems that recruiters were unwilling to gamble unless there was an absolutely compelling case on the athletic front. I would say the new speed benchmark is sub 2.90sec, anything above that appears to be unacceptable for a small forward, unless there is elite agility & elite endurance to go with it.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Jonesracing82 said:
what you think of the Draft haul & what shall we do in the rookie Draft, for mine i reckon we need a Ruck, even a state league one that's ready to go if req'd

Overall I really liked this draft, whilst Rioli was a bit further down in my rankings there wasn't a huge amount separating picks 12-40, so all up I give it a tick for balance and athleticism. Having gone with a small forward initially, Markov was my preferred pick at 52, happy that Frank felt the same way and feel that the upside is significant with Oleg's elite athleticism. I didn't anticipate Nathan Broad being selected with our third, particularly given we secured a running backman in Yarran, but reports from the west have been generally positive apart from question marks about his decision-making and kicking. It's actually quite noticeable that Frank has deviated away from the kicking skills at all costs philosophy, not sure what to make of it but given his record with late picks has been ordinary I acknowledge that change was needed. The switched focus to state leagues has also been refreshing, would have loved to have secured Menegola with our third but unfortunately Geelong grabbed him one pick before Broad.

The theme of athletes over footballers also flowed through to the rookies, Callum Moore was never on my agenda due to his flawed kicking action however I'm willing to back the club in to make the necessary modifications. At present he kicks the ball like a rugby player, the ball drop therefore becomes highly variable and thus the rampant unpredictability. If he manages to change the way he holds the ball and uses a more guided technique then we may have a decent footballer on our hands. He can take a contested mark, he can run fast and he can apply defensive pressure - all attributes that could see him taking up a key defensive post.

Mabior Chol was a good pick, not as accomplished a tap ruckman as Nyuon but I think his around the ground work is the equal of Gach or marginally better. He has the breakaway speed and is a little bit more rounded in terms of contested possessions and defensive pressure, give him 4 years in the system and hopefully we produce Maric & Hampson's replacement. As for Marcon, good solid pick, we should be doing this every year when it comes to picking off the best of the state leagues, as a rookie he can be culled after 1 year if he's not up to it, this enables another speculative pick the following year.

The one thing I've taken from this year is the fact that many clubs punished those players without a big motor. Some have missed out altogether whom would normally be picked up and others like Mathieson have drifted right down the order. The change in the sub rule is already taking effect and it will be interesting to see how all this plays out. Hopefully we have made the right call at the right time.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
good posting bully - appreciate your efforts.

2 years ago thought our major weakness was our overall pace of our list and it seems we have made huge efforts to improve this in the past 2 drafts. Menadue, Drummond, Butler, Castagna, Yarran, Rioli, Markov, Broad and CMoore have improved our overall pace considerably.

Happy with our nat draft and rookie picks on face value as they add to our pace and athleticism, however just a bit concerned that we didn't add a genuine mid in that lot. IMO we need to add a genuine raw mid in every draft.