2018 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2018 Draft

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Who are some of the talls, Scoop?

Jack Lukosius is getting rave reviews already. Mobile, smart and has starred at SANF level against men. Reminds me of the hype around Warren Tredrea as a youngster. More mobile type but can't think of young forward more universally accepted as the number one pick in March.

The King Brothers are very mobile 201 cm players well suited modern to footy. Chuck in Hugo Mann, Dillion O'Reilly & Bailey Williams (more ruck but can clunk them) and there is some really exciting talls to pick from. Many more will bob up but to have this much talent this early in the year is a fair of indication of how good this crop is.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Jack Lukosius will certainly be a player, I would trade any player (except Dusty & Rioli) on our list plus our 1st rounder for #1

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
a tough and fast clearance machine would fit our future stars nicely.
rioli x 2, naish, shai all sitting outside and Jack G and Bytel @18

would also be happy to pick up a tall slider. in all probability only 50% of our young talls will make it, so more depth is needed.
So for me its best tall or best inside mid.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It always depends who's on the board, of course, but all things being equal it's inside mid first for me this year.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
spook said:
It always depends who's on the board, of course, but all things being equal it's inside mid first for me this year.

We certainly won't need another small forward or key forward for that matter after we sign Tom Lynch either lol!

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
spook said:

My priority would still be a key back, Ben King the standout at this early stage. Do I think he'll be there at 18? Most likely not but we're now in a position where we can trade up using peripheral players.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Thats a key point to trade into and up the draft.
Not to follow hawthorns route by moving out top picks (gunston gibson mcevoy) resulting in poor depth of the next generation.

Incoming should only be free agents and 18yo

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
bullus_hit said:
My priority would still be a key back, Ben King the standout at this early stage. Do I think he'll be there at 18? Most likely not but we're now in a position where we can trade up using peripheral players.
G’day Bully, is Ben a much better prospect then Max or are they fairly similar ?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
bullus_hit said:

Looking at our age profiles, Rance 29 at the end of this season and Astbury and Grimes both 27 this year and a past history of injuries i agree we need to draft another tall defender. It would be good if Miller could be an answer down there at some stage, he has the speed and agility.
If Miles and Lloyd look to move on at the end of the season another inside mid should be a priority too.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
CC TIGER said:
G’day Bully, is Ben a much better prospect then Max or are they fairly similar ?

Both played for the Dragons so hard to slot them in the forward line together, Max was given priority and shone but when he was out Ben moved forward & didn't disgrace himself. Max is probably top 3 at this stage, I have him just behind Lukosius & Rankine. Ben in the 5-10 range but could climb if he's given more opportunities up forward. Both kids need to put on a stack of weight, that would be the great unknown but you'd hope they hit 85kg this year.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
spook said:

Same. And I reckon like you said, we will go that way after going tall this year.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
SCOOP said:
Same. And I reckon like you said, we will go that way after going tall this year.

Given the age profile of Astbury & Rance I think it's imperative we lock in a key back. Can't forget we still have blokes like Miles playing reserves. Talls always require a lengthy apprenticeship, the sooner you get them in the system the better.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
bullus_hit said:
Given the age profile of Astbury & Rance I think it's imperative we lock in a key back. Can't forget we still have blokes like Miles playing reserves. Talls always require a lengthy apprenticeship, the sooner you get them in the system the better.

That’s fair. I’m leaning towards Garth making it and I still think Balta becomes a attacking back.

Miles is stop gap stuff. We need to find the next inside mid jet to pair with Graham.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
bullus_hit said:

These days there are many options in the way to bring in players,Specially when you are playing finals and winning flags
Hawks proved that Defenders are the players from lower clubs that are the easiest to move when you are in the window
When Rance,AstburymRiewoldt etc are towards the end we would target their replacements via the FA route 'IF' we dont have a ready replacement at the club

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
SCOOP said:
Miles is stop gap stuff. We need to find the next inside mid jet to pair with Graham.
Agree on both these points. The difficulty will be our draft position. Cotchin was pick 2, Martin 3, Prestia 7. The jets go early. It's going to be hard to get the next gen in without dipping. Unless Free Agent.

Blind Turn

Tiger Superstar
Mar 19, 2014
spook said:
Agree on both these points. The difficulty will be our draft position. Cotchin was pick 2, Martin 3, Prestia 7. The jets go early. It's going to be hard to get the next gen in without dipping. Unless Free Agent.

Or trading players for picks.
Unfortunately the system demands you make bold and ruthless decisions which will not always be popular.
We have a plethora of small forwards and medium sized half backs. Some premiership players. Some may be traded for players or picks on a needs basis

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
spook said:

Mids can come from all parts of the draft even the rookie list (e.g. Lambert). Fyfe, Hannebery, Parker, Sloane, Cripps, Jack GrahamTI etc. with picks in the teens or later. It's the elite talls who go early, and even then there are plenty of busts.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
turk-d-tiger said:
These days there are many options in the way to bring in players,Specially when you are playing finals and winning flags
Hawks proved that Defenders are the players from lower clubs that are the easiest to move when you are in the window
When Rance,AstburymRiewoldt etc are towards the end we would target their replacements via the FA route 'IF' we dont have a ready replacement at the club

Players are getting stitched up early these days, it's often very difficult to get A grade free agents. McGovern will be a good test case, but I suspect he'll stay an Eagle.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
bullus_hit said:
Players are getting stitched up early these days, it's often very difficult to get A grade free agents. McGovern will be a good test case, but I suspect he'll stay an Eagle.

I think that would depend on where and which club they are playing for , The new clubs will continue to lose talent to melbourne clubs due to go home factor
Brisbane,GWS,GC specially will struggle to keep all their talented players at the club