2020 Membership card | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2020 Membership card

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Couldn't give a stuff about what's on the card. Just as long as it gets me in the gate on match day I'll b happy.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Does the women’s team membership card have me on it?

Doubt it. I couldn't see that going down too well. I guess with the Tigers joining the women's competition, all avenues of awareness need to be used. I think I'll probably watch a couple of early of the Tiger games but having watched AFLW footy I can't say I have been over enthused by the entertainment. The quality just isn't there. I'd prefer to watch VFL and metro grade footy. Much higher quality.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigermad2005

Tiger Legend
Aug 18, 2004
Ballarat
Do you you have to pay to get into games yet?
If so does the AFL membership get you into games?
If the answer is no then why are the girls on the card.
We don’t have the VFL boys on the card or wheel chair players.
Is there a membership card for the women’s team?
If so what does it look like?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I think we need to get past the comparison between AFL and AFLW as if they are supposed to be the same product.

I don't think anyone compares them as the same product. Obviously that's why many don't enjoy watching it. And why really very few are willing to pay to watch it.

You don't hear people go to any other standard of game and say this is pathetic, the skills are nowhere near AFL players standard and yet they do it all the time with AFLW.

I didn't say it was pathetic. I am all for women playing at an elite level in their chosen sport. I help out my own Masters Footy club with the women's team - I am there to support them. All for it. Do I enjoy watching the footy style they play? No I don't. What I said was I don't personally find it entertaining. I prefer watching VFL or metro footy.

Once you find a way to enjoy it on its merits and recognise that it is the elite standard for Women's football and it is not and never will be AFL then it is very entertaining.

I don't think people have to be forced to watch something they don't find entertaining just because it's the same sport. I already recognise it is the elite standard for women's footy and no I don't find it entertaining. Be accepting of people's opinions. We all enjoy different things. I have seen the elite perform synchronised swimming at the Olympics. I recognise they're elite. Am I searching the Internet for replays of it? No I'm not.

Much the same way that Tom Lynch is never going to play like Wayne Carey but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching him.

I find that comparison a bit silly. PS I love watching Lynch play too. Many similarities to the great Carey actually.

Reactions: 2 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Still waiting for our membership package to arrive.

What are the "goodies" this year. Are they scarf and cap yet again??

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
I think we need to get past the comparison between AFL and AFLW as if they are supposed to be the same product.

Yet the AFL keep marketing it as though it is.

And the women want equal everything as though they think it is as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
And the women want equal everything as though they think it is as well.

Do they? I'm yet to hear of a woman wanting 'equal everything' - or equal anything, for that matter.

I for one am very happy to see the cross promotion.

Filthy Tiger

Tiger Rookie
Jun 10, 2014
I think it is fantastic, AFLW is the best thing to happen to football since the expansion to a national competition.

If anything, I'm disappointed there are separate memberships for the AFL and AFLW programs. I would have preferred every membership to increase by $5 and be a full club membership, which would have injected 500k into the AFLW program.

Totally agree. I looked at a AFLW membership but couldn't justify the cost, especially being interstate. It should be an add on, they'd easily pickup a lot of members. I guess it's a case of do they want just financial members, or members who'll actually go the games?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
If anything, I'm disappointed there are separate memberships for the AFL and AFLW programs. I would have preferred every membership to increase by $5 and be a full club membership, which would have injected 500k into the AFLW program.

I agree with this. I won't be getting a Richmond AFLW membership but wouldn't have had an issue with a small increase to the club membership to help fund the women's program.

I'm a platinum member but haven't got the pack yet. I do find it a bit strange that they have separate memberships for each team but put the photos of AFLW players on the AFL membership card. That would have made sense if the membership granted access to both teams. I guess they're just trying to raise awareness of the program in the hope that more people will pay for that membership as well.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Totally agree. I looked at a AFLW membership but couldn't justify the cost, especially being interstate. It should be an add on, they'd easily pickup a lot of members. I guess it's a case of do they want just financial members, or members who'll actually go the games?

Umm, it is an add on. You can get stand alone AFLW Foundation membership or, if you are already an RFC member it costs less as an add on.

I'm still not convinced AFLW Foundation membership is separate membership, it is a foundation not a club, the club is one and fields teams in AFL and AFLW.

DS

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Im not terribly interested, but Im extremely supportive if that makes sense.

and Im sure if Richmond women are playing the Collingwood girls on the TV, I'll get pretty interested pretty quickly
I’m about the same. I’m a grumpy old man in many ways but I’d love my daughter to have the same opportunities as my son in any endeavour so go girls!

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Much the same way that Tom Lynch is never going to play like Wayne Carey but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching him.

Odd, he plays very much a combative physical game like Carey IMO. Loves contact and a big game player. He’s the most Carey like of any modern day forward.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Once you find a way to enjoy it on its merits and recognise that it is the elite standard for Women's football and it is not and never will be AFL then it is very entertaining.

Personally I don’t like watching elite women’s tennis, golf or basketball. They are all extremely inferior to the men’s games. And still lack the depth of the men’s games.

But I love women’s gymnastics, diving and swimming.

As for AFLW I have little interest but will support the tigers, especially against the traditional rivals. Unlikely to watch a whole game but wish them all the best.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Personally I don’t like watching elite women’s tennis, golf or basketball. They are all extremely inferior to the men’s games. And still lack the depth of the men’s games.

But I love women’s gymnastics, diving and swimming.

As for AFLW I have little interest but will support the tigers, especially against the traditional rivals. Unlikely to watch a whole game but wish them all the best.

Yep, spot on
I love watching women's beach volleyball, but would recoil in horror if mens beach volleyball popped up on my screen

Filthy Tiger

Tiger Rookie
Jun 10, 2014
Umm, it is an add on. You can get stand alone AFLW Foundation membership or, if you are already an RFC member it costs less as an add on.

I'm still not convinced AFLW Foundation membership is separate membership, it is a foundation not a club, the club is one and fields teams in AFL and AFLW.

DS

It's an add on in name but is it truely an add on in nature? An add on suggests an extra which would be at a minimum cost in relation to the already purchased product. In context of my membership situation its not a genuine add on if it costs close to the same amount as my mens membership.

If you're paying for the top level packages then yes it within proportion, but the club now offers so many mens membership types that its virtually a double up in cost on the lower level options.