2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I was trying to compile a top 10 based on how much they look like a footballer in a footy card scenario,

and drew a pretty strong correlation between the top 3 on footy card footballer look,

and ability.

Jason Horne
Ben Hobbs
Finn Callahan

look the most like footballers, even if they were playing golf,

and they are probably the best 3 footballers in the open draft.

what is it? a bit of a man-child effect? confirmation bias? or do good footballers look like footballers?

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
"Goalless" you do need glasses. Kicked 4 gave away two with handballs and was instrumental in several others. If you say he did not kick a goal when Bazzo was on him I refer you to the end of the third quarter where he outmarked two defenders including Bazzo and slotted it. After quarter time he was less influential because delivery to him was awful, he was double teamed, rucked in the fwd line and had no talls to support him. However he still remained their most dangerous forward bringing the ball down, shame his team mates could not capitalise. I had to watch the game a second time to see if my recollections were accurate and did not see a single instance where Bazzo beat him one on one let alone made him look amateurish. I like your participation and generally your comments but in this instance you are wrongly insulting the lad.
p.s would like us to draft both of these talls.
Yeah amateurish was a bit tough, I'm more to your thinking. JVR has performed as well as any player has in the last three months. One of the few with actual production. I'm still taking at 15 if he's there.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
If Gibcus develops the way he projects and becomes a great CHB in the mould of Lever, together with Balta, we’re a King brother away from locking in our long term talls.
Throw in Johnston and Taylor and viola!
Could Gibcus slide to our pick 15? Or is he a lock for the top 10?

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I was trying to compile a top 10 based on how much they look like a footballer in a footy card scenario,

and drew a pretty strong correlation between the top 3 on footy card footballer look,

and ability.

Jason Horne
Ben Hobbs
Finn Callahan

look the most like footballers, even if they were playing golf,

and they are probably the best 3 footballers in the open draft.

what is it? a bit of a man-child effect? confirmation bias? or do good footballers look like footballers?
I am with you Ezy.

Thats why I want Hobbs in a Richmond jumper next year. He is a footballer plain and simple. I think sometimes we over think things and go looking for a players weakness. Yes this kid might not be Usain Bolt but *smile* he knows how to find the footy.

PS: Same goes with Horne and Callaghan but they will be long gone by our pick.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Johnson, I take the size and midfield profile. I like Rachele, nothing against him but I’m taking the mid every time. Toby Greene is so unique I don’t know if you can replicate. And not sure our game plan fits Rachele.
Greene makes any side he plays in better, regardless of game plan. (Not saying Rachele becomes the next Greene).

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Bully.
You keep comparing Gibcus against Naughton.
With all due respect, Naughton is a young superstar of the competition ( other than an ordinary GF )
One of the best contested marking players in the entire league.
If Gibcus is 80% as good it would be a terrific result.
Geez I reckon superstar gets used too liberally. How many superstars can there be? Naughton is not a superstar. He's an elite mark with real athleticism at this stage and not much else. Doesn't do much when the ball hits the ground. IIRC he kicked one goal from general play during the year, every other goal from a mark and set shot. His kicking is inconsistent, almost poor. Capable of improvement - no doubt. Superstar. Not yet.
Would we want him - sure.

Reactions: 1 user

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
If you believe Gibcus has forward ability then he vindicates a top ten pick. How do you rate his kicking ability?
It's good,his biggest issue which is minor is he tries to play on all the time,and it makes him rush a few of his kicks.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Marcus Herbert has had a big season. Been overlooked for the higher profile Hobbs but he’s been an on ball mainstay as much as Hobbs has in that team. Did well in a VFL game Geelong asked him to play in.

Figuring Geelong will take him in the Draft.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Geez I reckon superstar gets used too liberally. How many superstars can there be? Naughton is not a superstar. He's an elite mark with real athleticism at this stage and not much else. Doesn't do much when the ball hits the ground. IIRC he kicked one goal from general play during the year, every other goal from a mark and set shot. His kicking is inconsistent, almost poor. Capable of improvement - no doubt. Superstar. Not yet.
Would we want him - sure.
Cue the word “young” superstar.
Implies he’s in development stages.
Definitely not bona fide yet.
Would we want him - bloody oath

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I reckon Talon Delacey is another to watch at Claremont.

I have seen this kid play for the last 5 years.

He is super versatile as a mid, plays inside and out effectively, with good pace and stamina. Great hands and a really good mark. Fantastic work ethic and just a great kid.

I think he will last until the later rounds and I really hope we get him.
Yes, I like Delacey.
I saw him live at the Colts GF, was very impressive. I just googled his stats, it's his first year at Claremont, he has done very done well in his first year in the WAFL system.
Sheldrick will go a lot higher than a lot of people think, a very good clearance player, deceptive pace and can run all day.

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
My fear is we reach for too many talls in this draft.

So many capable midfielders that are gettable

Pick 7 I reckon we will take a tall for sure Gibcus/JVR

15, If JVR is still there, even if we take Gibcus at 7, I reckon we may pull the trigger.

Then the rest of the picks we take the midfielders that are left,

Butler, Hough, Knevitt, Sheldrick, Roberts, Macdonald, Chesser

We are desperate for talented, elite young talls.

Reactions: 1 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004

15, If JVR is still there, even if we take Gibcus at 7, I reckon we may pull the trigger.

What are you talking about, we would not do that. It's not like we've drafted players such as Jayden Post, Cleve Hughes, Ty Vickery, Todd Elton or Ben Griffiths with early picks!

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016

JVR at 15 could be considered a reach.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah amateurish was a bit tough, I'm more to your thinking. JVR has performed as well as any player has in the last three months. One of the few with actual production. I'm still taking at 15 if he's there.
Here's a quote from the article I posted -

"The decision to put Bazzo on Van Rooyen was brilliant, as he completely locked the key to the Tigers."

So after quarter time Bazzo complletely nullified him, until late in that third quarter when he bobbed up for a goal. Three goals in the first, not a huge influence after that. And that's my point, how much weight are you putting into Colts when the opposition has been substandard, Bazzo beat Van Rooyen on the day, from my perspective he did, maybe not your own, but plenty of other judges felt the same way.

And I'm not suggesting he's not draftable, I just think there's better options at 15.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
It’s interesting how people’s opinions vary from game to game, week to week.
There was lots of chatter here about Amiss being a top 10 pick a couple of weeks ago, especially after his first game against SA.
He then gets injured in the return game and haven’t heard his name mentioned since.
Where does he get drafted?

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
No chance to slide.
It seems PRE is the only place he’s not rated.
I think we all agree we need more talls but unfortunately this probably isn't the ideal draft to do that. If we can get one good one, get three talented mids and improve our draft position further for next year that would be a pretty good outcome. Hopefully then we can have a real crack at getting a couple of good talls next year when the talent is supposed to be much stronger in that area.