2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Yep. Why?
There’s going to be a nice back story to Darcy Wilmot’s drafting in a few weeks.

Was talking to a mate last night with some good Northern footy contacts. We were talking about some Knights players - including Darcy.

I didn’t realise this but Darcy is the son of Grant Wilmot who played for Cwood in 1980. Bit before my time but he played 5 games before injuries curtailed a promising career. By all accounts a very tough and very skilled player. (Bit like Darcy). Grant dabbled with professional boxing too.

Grant went back to the DVL-EDL and was very successful, winning awards as a player and coach.

However, Grant died suddenly in 2016 when Darcy was just 12. It’s been a tough road for Darcy and his family since. Darcy’s playing on a bit memory shall we say.

When Darcy gets drafted I’m sure it’ll be an emotional night and a nod to his father. I’ll be watching the young man’s career with great interest and hoping he goes real well.

Reactions: 17 users
Cheers, Reds. I'll likewise follow him. He's literally as young as you could possibly be for this draft and captained Vic Metro, so he's clearly got the right character stuff. I love his footy too.

What do you mean 1980 was before your time, though? Didn't you turn 21 that year?

Reactions: 2 users
Cheers, Reds. I'll likewise follow him. He's literally as young as you could possibly be for this draft and captained Vic Metro, so he's clearly got the right character stuff. I love his footy too.

What do you mean 1980 was before your time, though? Didn't you turn 21 that year?
You’ve come up with better. Then again….

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I dont like that mock draft from the HS at all!
Agree a late 1st rounder in exchange for a late 2nd rounder to move up 3 spots in the draft seems pretty short sighted.

Historical drafts highlight that their is pretty much no difference in picking at 6 v 9. Until Bailey Smith and Macrae the player picked at 9 was consistently better eg Conca v Prestia :)

Reactions: 1 users
I can't say that Hobbs is a better alternative to Ward, I think I prefer the more rounded midfielder. Can't honestly say I've seen Hobbs use his non preferred to any great degree, haven't seen too much run and carry & haven't seen too much penetration with his kicking generally. He's a gun at clearances, he even uses the don't argue which I like & he is a tireless worker. Pick 9 fair weight but if you are throwing any opportunity to grab Goater then I cannot give the trade a tick of approval.

I reckon Talon Delacey is another to watch at Claremont.

I have seen this kid play for the last 5 years.

He is super versatile as a mid, plays inside and out effectively, with good pace and stamina. Great hands and a really good mark. Fantastic work ethic and just a great kid.

I think he will last until the later rounds and I really hope we get him.
Just finished watching some WAFL Colts games again involving Claremont and Delacey goes very well in them. Nice blend of in and out. Good vision with his hands. Nice worker at clearances. Solid by foot. Can get his hands dirty and stick tackles.

Bit to like there.

To get Ward I’d be fine with that trade. But not to get Hobbs. If we get Hobbs without the trade I’m fine.

Reactions: 5 users
There’s going to be a nice back story to Darcy Wilmot’s drafting in a few weeks.

Was talking to a mate last night with some good Northern footy contacts. We were talking about some Knights players - including Darcy.

I didn’t realise this but Darcy is the son of Grant Wilmot who played for Cwood in 1980. Bit before my time but he played 5 games before injuries curtailed a promising career. By all accounts a very tough and very skilled player. (Bit like Darcy). Grant dabbled with professional boxing too.

Grant went back to the DVL-EDL and was very successful, winning awards as a player and coach.

However, Grant died suddenly in 2016 when Darcy was just 12. It’s been a tough road for Darcy and his family since. Darcy’s playing on a bit memory shall we say.

When Darcy gets drafted I’m sure it’ll be an emotional night and a nod to his father. I’ll be watching the young man’s career with great interest and hoping he goes real well.
Rhett Bazzo has a similar story. His dad played over 200 games in the wafl and died from cancer when Rhett was very young, before he was even a teenager.
I hope both the lads have good Afl careers.

Reactions: 4 users

Also is he a RCD clone where his endurance is an issue? No way is he a top 10 pick.
I always question midfielders who lack endurance. If you struggle at junior level then it’s going to be grind at AFL.

Looking at RCD he is 3 years in the system and his endurance is still an issue. These types have no issue getting the ball at the coal face but it’s the next chain of events they struggle to impact.

Reactions: 3 users

Also is he a RCD clone where his endurance is an issue? No way is he a top 10 pick.
I always question midfielders who lack endurance. If you struggle at junior level then it’s going to be grind at AFL.

Looking at RCD he is 3 years in the system and his endurance is still an issue. These types have no issue getting the ball at the coal face but it’s the next chain of events they struggle to impact.
The mid 20’s pick I MIGHT take a chance but not at our first two picks, not for me.

I’m buying as much stock as I can in him.
If we are using Sheds as the barometer then he needs to be quick, he's not physical enough and he won't get away with the dancing unless he has breakaway pace. Edwards blitzed in just about every category at the combine, I know he won't come close to that but he will require some afterburners.

There's nothing wrong with his endurance as far as I know, his productivity doesn't drop off late in matches and he still maintains the ability to sprint. I think he's also a cricketer so there's no slacking in the off season. As far as the kicking goes, I don't see a technical problem just a composure issue. Not a deal breaker for me but if he's sliding out to the late teens then an issue for some. I definitely take at pick 17.

you know I think I've gone off Ward because most punts picks seem to have him going to the Hawks ...

anyway ... don't think we'll get him, or Hobbs ..