2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

I can't see Erasmus falling that far with West Coast there. The HS really think they value Chesser higher?

I'm still on the Hobbs / Sonsie double act as my preference. We need inside midfield improvement. Grimes will go around longer than Cotch and I feel out biggest needs are midfield and forward rather than defence. I'd be happy to take either Bazzo or Aleer with our 20's picks to fill the tall void on our list.
I agree with you regarding Erasmus.
I’m so torn because I also love the idea of a Hobbs / Sonsie double. And I also agree with you that our most pressing needs are midfield and forward. But I also look back at the last 5 flags and they were all built on the back of extremely strong backlines.
In the event we do pass on Gibcus, I am happy to pick up Bazzo later on (not so much Aleer).

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting that both Twomey and the HS have the first 7 picks the same. Probably looking likely that the fun only starts the pick before ours.
That works for me. It means we get the choice of at least one of Hobbs or Gibcus.

Based on that I'd be going Johnson at 9, Goater at 17, Taylor at 30, Murley at 31 & Dean 32.
Dean at 32 is a big call, though I get that you're looking to balance out the 2 smalls mids
Dont get me wrong I like him but we have a settled backline and 2 developing key backs waiting in the wings. Effectively he is 3rd on the roster, for pick 32.

But then I've tried to see who else i'd pick instead. Maybe Bazzo - though its the same type of player.
Or a true inside mid which isnt in your group - Sheldrick or Browne but there are question marks there.
Or a true small forward like Clarke or Fejo. Does that become too small?
So in short I can see why you picked Dean!

Reactions: 3 users
Probably closer to what I think the real list will look like than what the HS showed.

If it plays out like that, I'd expect us to have a red hot crack at either Freos pick or Norths pick before drafting starts again on Thursday.

If we got Hobbs / Johnson, JVR and Sonsie, we'd be looking really good. Maybe 26 and 27 (I think 29 and 30) for 19 (21) and 60 (wherever that comes in to) would make sense. Freo would then be in a great position to take Bazzo and another, maybe even Williams if they go tall with both of them.

Would make sense for us, and we probably get Soligo with that late pick back from Freo.
Hobbs / Johnson, JVR and Sonsie. Would be a dream.
Pick up Murley at 28 and Fejo with the pick 60

Reactions: 1 users
Dean at 32 is a big call, though I get that you're looking to balance out the 2 smalls mids
Dont get me wrong I like him but we have a settled backline and 2 developing key backs waiting in the wings. Effectively he is 3rd on the roster, for pick 32.

But then I've tried to see who else i'd pick instead. Maybe Bazzo - though its the same type of player.
Or a true inside mid which isnt in your group - Sheldrick or Browne but there are question marks there.
Or a true small forward like Clarke or Fejo. Does that become too small?
So in short I can see why you picked Dean!
Dean has tons of physical development left in him, I think he's done a stellar job to be a Fothergill-Round medalist at the age of 20. Plenty of upside given his kicking is low and penetrating and his 8 intercepts indicate a very good reader of the play. I think in a year of uncertainty a player like Dean is a nice bookend.

Reactions: 3 users
But it still happens today.
Clubs giving up pick 9 for the headless chook Saad.
Thats worse.
What did freo give up to get a kid that couldn't get a game in a team screaming for a running half back.
There are clubs that Keep picks and others like Carlton and Port that are more confident in there trading then there drafting.
Besides Prestia we have not given away a first rounder on a player since McMahon.
More than happy for others to do it so long as it's not us. Lessons have to have been learned.

Selling that might be a stretch, I would say GWS would have North clear bottom 4. I think we will see a spike in improvement based on players like LDU, Powell, Horne-Francis & Simpkin. Cunnigton's situation hurts a little but I think there will be improvement across the board and more than likely a review of Ziebell's impact as a defender. Can see a bit of shuffling and a new look Kangas in 2022.
Greenwood covers Cunnington, hope he's well soon but if he can't play they have cover.

AFL phantom draft: Inside word on which prospects will be taken when among first 20 picks

One club recruiter recently told foxfooty.com.au this was “the least predictable draft” they’d ever been involved in.

That was the sense putting this first-round phantom draft together, with crucial calls from Hawthorn, Fremantle and Essendon to dictate how the opening stages of Wednesday night’s event will go down. A big trade, which is widely expected, could reshape the top of the order too.

Foxfooty.com.au predicts how the first round of the draft will pan out — including two father-son bids — plus the inside word on which prospects your club could take and why.

PICK 9 — RICHMOND: MATT JOHNSON

Position: Midfielder

Size: 192cm, 81kg

Club: Subiaco/North Beaches/Western Australia

AFL player comparison: Scott Pendlebury

Johnson’s strong finish to his 2021 campaign – he won the WA best on ground medal for his performance against SA at Optus Stadium in an AFL Grand Final day curtain-raiser then had a terrific draft combine with three top-10 finishes — has seen him surge into top-10 calculations. A tall midfielder with ridiculously good composure in traffic, Johnson got a taste of all three WAFL competitions in 2021. A top-five pick on talent alone and shouldn’t have to wait too long to have his name called out.

In the mix: Don’t be surprised if Picks 8 and 9 are flipped here and the Dockers choose Johnson and the Tigers opt for Ben Hobbs, who would love to land at Punt Road but is prepared to go anywhere. The Tigers also have interest in 196cm key forward Jye Amiss, especially after losing Callum Coleman-Jones and Mabior Chol during last month’s exchange period. Key defender Josh Gibcus would fill a need, too, considering the recent departures of David Astbury (retired) and Ryan Garthwaite (delisted), although they’ve just brought in free agent Robbie Tarrant.

025c4d900a8a1ff932c3bdb4c1df2930

Matthew Johnson of Western Australia.

PICK 17 – RICHMOND: JACOB VAN ROOYEN

Position: Utility

Size: 193cm, 91kg

Club: Claremont/Western Australia

AFL player comparison: Tom McDonald

An exciting swingman that impressed at both ends during his draft year. Van Rooyen booted 34.14 from nine WAFL colts games up forward then starred for WA’s Under 19s side as a backman on AFL Grand Final day, taking eight marks in defence. After a year that was interrupted by glandular fever, Van Rooyen finished strong at the draft combine, running the 20m sprint in 3.06 seconds. If the Tigers didn’t pick Jye Amiss with their first selection, Van Rooyen would be a strong chance with their second.

In the mix: Campbell Chesser would have to be considered here if available still. This would also be talented Eastern Ranges midfielder Tyler Sonsie’s best chance of being selected in the first round, however he’s now looking more likely to be snapped up on Thursday night. It’s also the earliest a bid on top Giants academy prospect Josh Fahey would receive a bid, but the Tigers would likely save that move for Thursday night. Could they snare Sam Butler after letting brother Dan go a few years ago?

Jacob Van Rooyen could be the fourth WA prospect to be taken in the first round. Picture: Michael Klein
Jacob Van Rooyen could be the fourth WA prospect to be taken in the first round.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
In 2020 Cal Twomey only got ....... 8 Out of 30 picks correct and 4 of the 8 were NGA players that went to their clubs so really 4/30

#1 Jamarra Ugle Hagan (NGA)
#2 Riley Thilthorpe
#8 Zach Reid (bombers were always going best defender with 3 picks inside top 10)
#9 Braeden Campbell (NGA)
#13 Tom Powell
#17 Lachie Jones
#22 Erol Gulden (NGA)
#25 Connor Downie (NGA)

Reactions: 2 users
In 2020 Cal Twomey only got ....... 8 Out of 30 picks correct and 4 of the 8 were NGA players that went to their clubs so really 4/30

#2 Riley Thilthorpe
#8 Zach Reid (bombers were always going best defender with 3 picks inside top 10)
#13 Tom Powell
#17 Lachie Jones
#22 Erol Gulden (NGA)
#25 Connor Downie (NGA)
Emma Quayle used to nail the draft, nothing out there remotely reliable. I also suspect there's some chicanery going on, particularly with Freo.

Reactions: 6 users
Emma Quayle used to nail the draft, nothing out there remotely reliable. I also suspect there's some chicanery going on, particularly with Freo.
There are certainly lot that is no longer being passed onto Twomey with live trading teams dont want to be revealing too much as the info will cost them if trading up or trading back.

Emma certainly had good mail but there was no live trading and clubs had good info on which players were going to be gone befre their selections.

The strange thing with Twomeys phantom i found was that he had Hobbs 5/6 just about all year with Crows/Hawks/Freo and even GC linked to him with Richmond being the red hot fav but now has both Gibcus & Hobbs sliding

GWs pick #2 is the pick that will set the scene in the top 10 from the looks of it

There are certainly lot that is no longer being passed onto Twomey with live trading teams dont want to be revealing too much as the info will cost them if trading up or trading back.

Emma certainly had good mail but there was no live trading and clubs had good info on which players were going to be gone befre their selections.

The strange thing with Twomeys phantom i found was that he had Hobbs 5/6 just about all year with Crows/Hawks/Freo and even GC linked to him with Richmond being the red hot fav but now has both Gibcus & Hobbs sliding

GWs pick #2 is the pick that will set the scene in the top 10 from the looks of it
Hobbs sliding doesn't surprise me, although I'd say he's just settling into a range that is familiar to most inside mids. I think there's a few weaknesses that have largely been overlooked by the media, he has no left foot, his kicking range is limited and his efficiency isn't uber elite. Add to that his lack of pace & lack of outside game and you have a player who could feasibly drift out to an early teens pick.

Hobbs to Freo at pick 6 (8) is now appearing in mocks. I'd talked myself into Hobbs, but I'm also happy to go with Johnson. As much as Gibcus is appealing, I want us to go midfield with our top pick - you need A grade mids to win premierships - key backs you can find outside of the top 10.

Also I have no idea how Sonsie could slip to the 20's as predicted by some mocks with his attributes and potential - I'd hope we snap him up if available with pick 15.

Hobbs sliding doesn't surprise me, although I'd say he's just settling into a range that is familiar to most inside mids. I think there's a few weaknesses that have largely been overlooked by the media, he has no left foot, his kicking range is limited and his efficiency isn't uber elite. Add to that his lack of pace & lack of outside game and you have a player who could feasibly drift out to an early teens pick.

Some of that is fair enough eg left foot, outside game but I don’t think range is an issue. In that game in the third quarter he kicks from 45m and the ball goes sailing through the middle way over the fence indicating a strong carry of about 50-55m.

His range is ok.

Reactions: 6 users

#2 Riley Thilthorpe
#13 Tom Powell
#17 Lachie Jones
#22 Erol Gulden (NGA)
#25 Connor Downie (NGA)
And this year is supposed to be an even less predictable draft !

But to be fair to Cal Twomey, all it takes is 1 player chosen from left field and most other predictions will be out of whack.

this could be a bit like when your best mate breaks up with his misses,

and you tell him what a *smile* she always was,

then they get back together.

and yeah if Sonsie is still there on Thursday morning, I'd pay a pair of 20's

johnson - vanrooyen - sonz + would be major :banana

but we all know deep down, tigers will read out a name in there that has all texting our mates going

'WTF is Billion McTavishsonton?'

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users