2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Bullus - would you rate Stewart from the cats as a flanker cause that’s who they compare his potential/player type to

By the way thanks for all your input - been great reading.
I think it's more a case of being able to get flankers from down the order, it was probably the area that needed the least attention yet we added two players of this playing type. Tom Stewart was also a state league guy who did the hard yards & then got selected at pick 40. This is not a slight on Brown either given I had him clear top 30, more a case of sticking to some tried and trusted principles with drafting. I don't think I've ever gone down that path, in the Vlastuin draft I opted for the ruck (Grundy) so that would be the only time there may have been a strong case. Trading in flankers is also a lot easier to do than accomplished midfielders.

Reactions: 1 user

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
At least we tried, can't knock the club for making the effort. I also would have laughed when they asked for a future first, that seems like a bit of a godfather deal which intrinsically values Brown at a first rounder & two seconds. In any case, we did well with the Sonz so I'm happy with how things settled in the end. I still don't think 17 is the range for flankers & is something that I would baulk at unless there's an absolutely compelling case.
On a positive note for flankers though, if it wasn’t for a bloke called Dusty, a flanker would of win three norm smiths for us

Reactions: 5 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
No offence to anyone on this site , your opinions of the draftees have been a great reference, however here and other forums posters aren’t privileged to all the info AFL recruiters are and as much as I appreciate all your opinions , Matty Clarke’s the only ones that matter at punt rd

Reactions: 5 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
What he says doesn't make any sense, especially what he said about Richmond.

This from Barnzy to Chriss

Guy clearly has a bone to pick. I posted this in his thread.

In his last phantom draft Knightmare had:

Gibcus at 11th, drafted 9th
Brown at 18th, drafted 17th
Sonsie at 23rd, drafted 28th
Banks at 43rd, drafted 29th
Clarke at 31st, drafted 30th

How does that equal a D+
his phantom draft was rubbish??

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Laughable, don't need to go past this line.

"Within the industry, Gibcus and Brown are commonly rated highly, picks 9 and 17 is a lot to pay for a key defender and a rebounding defender who may not be the best at their respective positions at the picks they were taken."

So who were the better key defenders compared to Gibcus??????
Couldn’t help myself so took a screen dump of the comments made for later reference. As much as I am happy as an uneducated supporter I tend to try and hose down the positives from some (shifter Sheahan had every guy a world beater on draft night) but now i have read the flip side. Clearly he thinks this years draft was our mirror of the 5 picks in first 20 in the Wallace era. That’s quite a bake for our recruiting team. I hope to be sending it to a few mates over time for a laugh.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
No offence to anyone on this site , your opinions of the draftees have been a great reference, however here and other forums posters aren’t privileged to all the info AFL recruiters are and as much as I appreciate all your opinions , Matty Clarke’s the only ones that matter at punt rd
Correct.
Our job is to cheer and boo

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Maybe a tad harsh by Knightmare.

Richmond

Picks: 9, 17, 28, 29, 30

Players drafted: Josh Gibcus, Tom Brown, Tyler Sonsie, Sam Banks, Judson Clarke

Grade: D+

Rationale: Richmond searched for long term replacements for retired duo David Astbury and Bachar Houli and believe they have found two with the additions of Gibcus as a high leaping key defender and Brown as a speedy rebounding defender. Within the industry, Gibcus and Brown are commonly rated highly, picks 9 and 17 is a lot to pay for a key defender and a rebounding defender who may not be the best at their respective positions at the picks they were taken. Sonsie, as a skilful midfielder, and Clark, as a speedy, classy kicking small forward, were picked in the range expected, though Banks, a rebounding defender, was selected earlier than predicted.

Maybe Knightmare's wet dream is to have the Tigers tumbling back to oblivion with a crapped out bunch of premium draft picks. Probably lucky he gave us a D+ instead of the F he wanted us to have.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
I think it's more a case of being able to get flankers from down the order, it was probably the area that needed the least attention yet we added two players of this playing type. Tom Stewart was also a state league guy who did the hard yards & then got selected at pick 40. This is not a slight on Brown either given I had him clear top 30, more a case of sticking to some tried and trusted principles with drafting. I don't think I've ever gone down that path, in the Vlastuin draft I opted for the ruck (Grundy) so that would be the only time there may have been a strong case. Trading in flankers is also a lot easier to do than accomplished midfielders.
J..Jo 2016 G.F. Normie.
Bash 2017 G.F. R/U Normie, some say he should have got it.
Bash 2019 G.F. R/U Normie
Stewart several times A.A. after selection as a mature age burbs player.

Might just be that clubs are suddenly realising the true value of the game breaking rebounding flanker. Team defence is such a big aspect of games now, simply shutting down opposition forward thrusts time after time, now suddenly a creative running flanker who can make space and deliver ball is just about priceless.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Saad & Williams by Carlton for 700k- 800k a year on 5 year deals:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ;)
Trading in flankers on shitloads of shekels while pretending they are premium mid fielders is never a good idea. Especially when you're a bog ordinary team in the first place.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Not too bad, missed the biscuit on a few but that's to be expected. Dittmar & Browne back to the state leagues I guess. No Ronny Fejo!

Final Top 50 (rankings)

1. Horne-Francis (1)
2. Nick Daicos (4)
3. Sam Darcy (2)
4. Finn Callaghan (3)
5. Matthew Johnson (21)
6. Josh Rachele (6)
7. Josh Ward (7)
8. Josh Gibcus (9)
9. Ben Hobbs (13)
10. Josh Goater (22)

Resembling the Joshua Tree this group is a blend of upside and relatively solid floors, don't think there will be any outright busts amongst this group. Many will be surprised by how high Johnson is but that's just emblematic of how high is upside is in comparison to the others.

11. Tyler Sonsie (28)
12. Mac Andrew (5)
13. Neil Erasmus (10)
14. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (11)
15. Josh Sinn (12)
16. Jye Amiss (8)
17. Zac Taylor (44)
18. Sam Butler (23)
19. Blake Howes (39)
20. Campbell Chesser (12)

This group has A grade upside but might come with a lingering doubt or two. Many will be surprised by Erasmus being pegged so low but I wouldn't be risking him in the top ten given he's not quite an accomplished mid. There is enormous potential but with his kicking more B class I think there's some chance he lands in no mans world as a flanker without the kicking smarts of the best rebounders in the competition. I have Howes ranked higher than most but I've factored in plenty of upside and feel he could become an extremely damaging wingman/half forward. Very impressed with his overhead marking and work below the knees.

21. Jacob van Rooyen (18)
22. Josh Fahey (42)
23. Arlo Draper (45)
24. Michito Owens (33)
25. Connor McDonald (26)
26. Darcy Wilmot (16)
27. Tom Brown (17)
28. Toby Conway (24)
29. Mitch Knevitt (25)
30. Cooper Murley (49)

This group has some potential to become A grade but would require everything to go right, quite a few have inconsistent disposal which needs to be cleaned up at the highest level. Knevitt would be higher if not for his patchy disposal. Wilmot & Fahey project as flankers but very good ones so they deserve their top billing.

31. Ronald Fejo Jnr.
32. Judson Clarke (30)
33. Rhett Bazzo (37)
34. Brady Hough (31)
35. Matt Roberts (34)
36. Corey Warner (40)
37. Joshua Browne
38. Jesse Motlop (27)
39. Jack Williams (57)
40. Sam Banks (29)

Such a mix here, most need plenty of development time with the exception of Roberts who can be a little one paced. I read an article about Roberts having a similar impact to Dunstan. I think that says it all really, there's a number of guys like Dunstan & Brodie who could fill this void. Yet to be convinced that Roberts can eclipse the output of Constable & Hately, that is effectively why he ranks so low.

41. Angus Sheldrick (19)
42. Charlie Dean (Rookie 2)
43. Leek Alleer (15)
44. Bodhi Uwland (Academy preselection)
45. Alastair Lord (46)
46. Kade Dittmar
47. Marcus Windhager (47)
48. Hugh Jackson (55)
49. Paul Curtis (35)
50. Harvey Harrison (52)

A bit of an odd ball collection, some with big upside like Alleer, some with a limited ceiling like Dean. Harrison is the athlete who may prove to be successful based on his athletic profile alone. Dittmar a solid pick if you're looking for a midfield addition.

51. Taj Woewodin (65)
52. Ned Long (rookie 5)
53. Angus Anderson
54. Charlie Molan
55. Kai Lohmann (20)
56. Jake Soligo (36)
57. Lachlan Rankin (58)
58. Tom Lewis
59. Bailey Rogers
60. Noah Pegoraro

This is the state league region, I could also add Greg Clark (62) & Blake Schlensog to the mix, Eric Benning (54) also a bit stiff & I like Oscar Morrison as a young general defender. Anthony Caminiti is another who would be a decent KF prospect later in the draft.

Speaking of A-graders, your posting meets that criteria.

Thanks for all the interesting posts leading up to and during the draft period!

Reactions: 14 users