2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I don't quite get Gold Coasts plans either as they already have a fairly full list.

I assume the will to trade means that the priority pick at the end of the 1st round is not heading to the GC (which is good for everyone else.), but even without that they have, 3, 22, 43 and 55. Maybe they won't use either of the late ones and still want 3 picks in the draft.

I still think a trade for Adelaides pick 4 makes a bit more sense than Pick 3 for both teams. The Adelaide in particular, may not require the need for Pick 7 which may not be the case with the Gold Coast one.

Ideally we want Pick 7 and one of 3 or 4.
Totally agree.
Lets get 4, 7, 26. 28.
Ward. Sonsie. Bazzo. Zac Taylor Knevitt

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Jesus i would be very disappointed if we traded upto 3 for Hobbs

I would rather hold #7 and take 1 of Erasmus / Ward / NWM

Just give me Erasmus / Goater / JVR / Bazzo / Long and ill be thinking its Xmas

Reactions: 5 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
If a trade for #3 is done i get a feeling it will involve our 2022 1st rounder

#3 + #19 or #22 for #7 + 2022 1st rounder

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Like many of you, I also like the idea of trying to get Pick 3 (Callaghan, Erasmus, Ward) whilst keeping 7 (Sonsie, Draper, Hobbs).
IMO, we definitely need 2 x high quality midfielders b/c we dont have them with Dow, RCD and the other young boys. No one's fault, they were late first round picks and I dont see them in that top echelon of player. Although, we did pick well with Shai Bolton in the 20s.

I'm useless at working the pick numbers around so wouldnt have a clue how they do it without giving away too much.
But this year with our own 7 and the extra 2nds and 3rds affords us an opportunity to try.

However, we arent the only team with a good hand to get the Bulldogs Pick 17. Or take advantage of the Pies situation.
Other clubs can do good deals too (Geelong's 30/32/34 even before their Clarke pick from Freo could trump our 28/40/44), Brisbane's 18 plus late picks, even Melb's 33/42 and whatever else they pick up from trading Melksam etc. may be better than our hand. Maybe Pick 16 from Port is an option- they may want some 2nd and 3rd rounders for trades?

Dont think our Chol compo will be a 3rd rounder - cant see the AFL doing us any favours.

Think there's a lot to play out with trading too and those last minute shock deals - reckon Essendon would love to get rid of Shiel, wouldnt put it past Neale to still leave Brisbane, and Gold Coast still may need to dump 1-2 players given they have to pick up 3 and have a fully contracted list. St KIlda may need picks for their academy boys but dont have them. Could they split 9?
I also have a gut feel Hawthorn will be very active - can see Mitchell and a few others traded.

Last edited:

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Jay Clark in the HeraldSun's live chat:

"I'm told the Tigers have an interest in Ben Hobbs in this year's draft. Competitive midfielder who loves to have a crack.

To get him the Tigers would have to move up from 7 to 3. So, I think there is a big chance there is a deal here between the Suns and Tigers, but plenty to play out."

From the same junior club as Jacob Hopper and plays like his younger brother

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
i have no idea about Draft negotiating or the like, i also have very little idea about the talent pool in this years lot as I've never seen any of them play.
i called out Josh Ward ages ago because he is known to me through a friends family and apparently "he's a great kid with a fair bit of grunt who can kick a ball".
other than that, anything can happen Draft Day, some will rise some will drift. bit of a lottery really...

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I watched the Qld vs Tas U19 game and was impressed by the two Tas. onballers. Davis and Walter. I know a little about Davis he is tough, a ball magnet and young but the knock on him was speed (11.2). Walter looked better, fast and a very good kick, almost won it for Tas. in the last. Is there anyone on the Board who knows something about this kid? Would put him ahead of Bohdi on first glance.

I agree those looked good, but way more upside in Ewlands as a late pick for me.

I think its academic though as suns will take him

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
good point. they might be looking to trade out of this year and into next year
If a trade for #3 is done i get a feeling it will involve our 2022 1st rounder

#3 + #19 or #22 for #7 + 2022 1st rounder

Just heard on the radio before that their list is full to the point they might have to delist players and put them on the rookie list just to make things work. Gold Coast wont be taking more than 3 picks in this years draft.

I dare say any trade to get pick 3 would have to involve a future pick.

Pick 3 + Pick 22 for Future first & second round pick.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Just heard on the radio before that their list is full to the point they might have to delist players and put them on the rookie list just to make things work. Gold Coast wont be taking more than 3 picks in this years draft.

That could be it. They probably take 2 and Ewlands (however you spell it) so I'm thinking this means the PP is gonski.

We aren't allowed to trade next years 1st and a 2nd though so that wouldn't work unless we brought in another club.

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
That could be it. They probably take 2 and Ewlands (however you spell it) so I'm thinking this means the PP is gonski.

We aren't allowed to trade next years 1st and a 2nd though so that wouldn't work unless we brought in another club.
It might include a player in the twilight of his illustrious career who was of such a stature in the game that he could be expected to educate their gun forward King.
Not saying we should agree or that he might, but
given the state of their list I can’t see why they might be considering a trade for two lesser picks.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW

I would do that. The second round pick can come from this year. Especially if the CCJ trade gets us #20

Then could look at Adelaide's #4 pick. Some reports have them open to splitting #4 to position themselves not to over pay for the Swans player (name escapes me now). We could go 15 + 26+ 28 for pick 4 and 37 from Adelaide

We also get Bulldogs 17 plus 72 for 40 + 44 + the 37 from Adelaide

Leaves us with 3 + 4+ 7 + 17 + Chol compo with the 72 going to North for Tarrant

Again all guess work but there is potential to end up with a very good draft hand this year. 3 top 10 picks plus the 17 added to Balta, Bolton, Baker, Graham, RCD, Ross etc sets the base to build the next 10/12 years. Also eases the pressure on the salary cap.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I'm trying to stear clear of the MFC love in and decided to listen to trade radio...
What's with all these StKilda hacks being the game's great radio talent. ... Del Santo and Goddard .... jeez they're *smile* house!