2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
So we were trading CCJ + Gibcus + Brown + Sonsie for one player Horne-Francis

Never a good move to trade so many for one
Would you trade Andrew Moore, Daniel Menzel, Travis Colyer and Ben McEvoy for Dustin Martin? What about McEvoy, Harry Taylor, Brett Meredith and Kepler Bradley for Trent Cotchin?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Would you trade Andrew Moore, Daniel Menzel, Travis Colyer and Ben McEvoy for Dustin Martin? What about McEvoy, Harry Taylor, Brett Meredith and Kepler Bradley for Trent Cotchin?
Could have been Talia, Fyfe, Gunston, Gawn or Dangerfield, Ward, Thompson, Wood but given the unlikelihood of nailing every pick you definitely go the sure bet.

JHF is a guaranteed gun I think we did the right thing offering what we did.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Yes but I wouldn’t trade a single one of them for Andy McGrath or Cam Rayner

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yes, time will tell. If JHF turns out the next Chimp, we were right to offer what we did and Norf right to reject it. If he turns out the next McGrath it's LolNorf time (again) (still).

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Could have been Talia, Fyfe, Gunston, Gawn or Dangerfield, Ward, Thompson, Wood but given the unlikelihood of nailing every pick you definitely go the sure bet.

JHF is a guaranteed gun I think we did the right thing offering what we did.
I'd still rather Dusty and Cotch over those groups of players.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
I had the champagne bottle ready in anticipation, I thought it was a shoe in but we've clearly seen something we don't like. Maybe intensity but is Pendles an intense player? Not really, you can't go looking a gift horse in the mouth, his role was clearly defined so he wasn't expected to be burrowing in the bottom of packs. When Johnson fills out he will be a unit, prototype midfielder who has a 2:1 kick to handball ratio, probably the most important position on the ground when sizing up the midfielders. Contested players you can also source from anywhere in the draft, this one was the hard piece to find.
Bully Do u think that Tigers have gone for players that could easily achieve best few for there positions,such as Gibcus reaching best key back in AFL one day plus brown being a better rated half back wing than Johnson will get to as a mid .

Reactions: 1 user

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
There's a good article in a certain Website that shows that after we drafted Gibcus we got on the phone to try trade with St Kilda to get Hobbs. They didn't want to go back to 17.
West Coast were called, but were already dealing with Port.
Essendon knocked us back too.

Clearly we wanted Hobbs pretty bad to try three times after our pick.
But Clark did say,it would of lost them brown and Its a so and so call.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
While I'm keen to see how all five new boys go, I'm very excited by the Tasmanian kid. Looks a future leader too.

Hope he gets the wrist sorted soon so that he gets into full training with the rest.

Only Tasmanian selected at this year's draft. Think we've got a good'un. :)

Reactions: 5 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Of course Essendrugs knocked us back. Given they copy everything we do its no surprise they drafted the player we were interested in.
If they knew we were interested in Brown at 17 they would have traded next years 1st rounder to try and get him.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
While I'm keen to see how all five new boys go, I'm very excited by the Tasmanian kid. Looks a future leader too.

Hope he gets the wrist sorted soon so that he gets into full training with the rest.

Only Tasmanian selected at this year's draft. Think we've got a good'un. :)
Just going by some posts around the traps and articles it was looking like Banks was going to be a top 10 draft pick 12 months out and was very highly rated. Also had a chat to a very keen Tasmanian who watches a bit of footy and ex tassie state league player who thinks Banks is a gun player that will play 200 games for this mighty tigers. really happy with what he told me.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Just going by some posts around the traps and articles it was looking like Banks was going to be a top 10 draft pick 12 months out and was very highly rated. Also had a chat to a very keen Tasmanian who watches a bit of footy and ex tassie state league player who thinks Banks is a gun player that will play 200 games for this mighty tigers. really happy with what he told me.
Lol. We got a top 5 at 9 and two top 10 picks in the late 20’s. Xmas came early folks.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Lol. We got a top 5 at 9 and two top 10 picks in the late 20’s. Xmas came early folks.
Not to mention Tom Brown at #17 which had 2 more suiters at #18 & #22

This was always going to be a draft where there was going to be late gems to be found and hopefully we have found 5 beauties

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The recruiters in the Afl are full time,so they go to live matches and review footage for over 40 hrs plus week after week ,they also get access to one on one interviews .

The Tigers have a very strong recruiting team Fj who was a integral part of our recruiting of our premierships sides..Hartley who was Ports head recruiter before joining Richmond,and has been a big part of our success in recent years ,as list manager and talent scout.
Clarke has been at the Tigers for over 13 years,so has been a big part of our premiership success in recruiting.

For people who don't go to live matches,and base a lot of their assessments on highlights or power rankings by that idiot Doerre,and then come out and be critical of Richmonds recruiting and strategies is ridiculous and quite bewildering .
Sorry champ
Totally disagree. At least in the 90s we were dead broke and would scorch the drafts. But like you said they are now full time and have been around for a long time.
Tooo many first round misses for me.
They have not brought in one A Grade Kid in with our first round since Big V
The drafting under Wallace made the side we are today.
Edwards Riewodlt Martin and Cotchin.
The Rookie Draft is where they filled the gaps. Lambert Castagna Bulter Grimes Stack Soldo

mr928s

TIGER TOUGH!
Dec 14, 2004
Sorry champ
Totally disagree. At least in the 90s we were dead broke and would scorch the drafts. But like you said they are now full time and have been around for a long time.
Tooo many first round misses for me.
They have not brought in one A Grade Kid in with our first round since Big V
The drafting under Wallace made the side we are today.
Edwards Riewodlt Martin and Cotchin.
The Rookie Draft is where they filled the gaps. Lambert Castagna Bulter Grimes Stack Soldo
Sorry to nitpick Zip, but Dimma was the coach when Dusty was drafted. And although Wallace was the coach for the others, FJ was also there as recruiting manager.

Ok, now that’s out of the way, I’ll start by saying that I agree with you that our recruiting in the 1st round has been quite poor.
It seems as though we try to outsmart the rest of the competition by selecting players from “left-field”.
We all know that Richmond places an enormous amount of emphasis on players with good character and leadership qualities. And it seems as though we reach for these type of players in the 1st round, leaving much more talented players on the table. This type of recruiting works wonders in the later rounds though.

I will also say that even though it looks like we “bust” most times in the 1st round, our recruiting (as well as our trading) for players with good character and leadership skills has enabled us to develop an amazing culture at the club. This culture has helped us to build a champion team with 3 premierships as opposed to a team of champions with nothing !

I will finish by saying that I believe we should just stick to picking the best talent in the 1st round and the good characters later on.

Reactions: 3 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Josh Ward won 2 of 3 1km time trials at Hawthorn with the full group running.

That is extraordinary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users