2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

Even in that worse case scenario, Hopper was a top 10 pick himself so still not a disaster.
Not a disaster but it does lessen the chances of nailing a key forward, whether through the draft or enticing a quality tall through free agency. Hopper also needs to return to pre knee injury form, that will hopefully be delivered round one, can't afford any slow revs next year. I get the feeling a few teams will start creeping up, even Carlton has a reasonable chance of breaking the drought.

Not sure but over on the Bombers site there's already a few nervous Nellies. It does have the potential to be a Toumpas over Wines call. It could also lead to a few resignations if things go completely pear shaped.
17 other clubs should all get around DoDo in a show of support to make it extremely hard for the Bombers to act.

Reactions: 2 users
If we land a gun forward in free agency then that solves plenty but bear in mind we need a strong showing next year to ensure we keep our destination club credentials, the slope can be slippery if not managed well. I think there's still plenty of work ahead, 2023 has the potential to derail if we slip out of the top 8, if that occurs then the Hopper bill comes in at a top 10 pick and Cotch, Jack & Dusty probably pull up stumps.
Although not a gun fwd but a gun nevertheless.
Prestia came too us following a 2016 campaign which was equal too our wooden spoon years.

Reactions: 1 users
Not a disaster but it does lessen the chances of nailing a key forward, whether through the draft or enticing a quality tall through free agency. Hopper also needs to return to pre knee injury form, that will hopefully be delivered round one, can't afford any slow revs next year. I get the feeling a few teams will start creeping up, even Carlton has a reasonable chance of breaking the drought.
I have noticed you mentioned Hoppers knee a lot but it was only a PCL so he should bounce back fine where as you were keen on Mitchell but don’t mention the shocking broken leg he had ? Getting a top shelf key forward is going to be a real challenge for sure. The very good ones are extremely expensive as kids like Cadman or proven stars like Cameron have shown. I think the club has done well to add Sonsie, Taranto and Hopper to drastically improve the midfield. Getting the quality talls will be an interesting watch for all of us as it won’t be easy. Anyway must be time we moved on from this thread and start focusing on the kids in 2023. We have done all the hypothetical stuff to death now and let’s be honest we are all just guessing !

Reactions: 4 users
We have plans in the pipeline for Key fwds. There's getting key fwds, then there is signing Hipwood to a 7 yr extension. We are going about it the right way.

Reactions: 1 user
Has Matt Johnson shown he can consistently get the inside ball yet?

Not sure his 2022 WAFL season blew it out of the park.

I watched him live in this years wafl semi and he was pretty outside. Erasmus looked a star and jury out on johnson (early days)

Waddle blowing the Hawks away with his running capacity for his size. They are convinced they’ve got something unique. Flying in the 2kms and sprints. Also showing a bit with ball in hand.

Waddle blowing the Hawks away with his running capacity for his size. They are convinced they’ve got something unique. Flying in the 2kms and sprints. Also showing a bit with ball in hand.
Let's see how he goes in an actujl game of football. Dunno why clubs get excited on athletic traits alone.

You reckon he can cut it in the midfield? I pegged him as a Josh Battle type.

Has Matt Johnson shown he can consistently get the inside ball yet?

Not sure his 2022 WAFL season blew it out of the park.
The fact the Dockers locked him in for a long term contract tells me he did well enough, highly skilled footballer with a roost that will rival the best in the competition.

I have noticed you mentioned Hoppers knee a lot but it was only a PCL so he should bounce back fine where as you were keen on Mitchell but don’t mention the shocking broken leg he had ? Getting a top shelf key forward is going to be a real challenge for sure. The very good ones are extremely expensive as kids like Cadman or proven stars like Cameron have shown. I think the club has done well to add Sonsie, Taranto and Hopper to drastically improve the midfield. Getting the quality talls will be an interesting watch for all of us as it won’t be easy. Anyway must be time we moved on from this thread and start focusing on the kids in 2023. We have done all the hypothetical stuff to death now and let’s be honest we are all just guessing !
Mitchell struggled a bit in 2020 but lifted his numbers in 2021, 34 disposals, 5 clearances, DE 75%, 380 metres gained, 5 tackles, 0.5 goals.

Hopper has averaged 19 disposals since the PCL, 5 clearances, 67% DE, 194 metres gained, 0.3 goals a match. Lowish TOG so definitely upside but my point stands, he needs to return to 2020 form which would vindicate his contract.

The fact the Dockers locked him in for a long term contract tells me he did well enough, highly skilled footballer with a roost that will rival the best in the competition.
That’s just a standard two year contract he signed. Same as Tom Brown.

Not sure there are many first rounders these days that don’t get an extension in the AFL after their initial contract?

At the moment he has no exposed form at the level. And hasn’t been good enough at the lower level to get a game in the seniors.

Reactions: 1 user
I watched him live in this years wafl semi and he was pretty outside. Erasmus looked a star and jury out on johnson (early days)
I don’t watch the juniors like others do on here. And I respect their dedication and reporting back on this forum.

But I do know that a number of recruiters had question marks on him being able to get his own ball at the top level. Not to the extent of being a clearance beast, but many clubs need to see players have the ability to win some of their own ball in a contested situation.

Whether he develops this area of his game enough to be a top three midfielder for his club will be the big question. Not sure he’s got there just yet. The WAFL probably doesn’t help him here either.

Agree with you on Erasmus.

Reactions: 1 users
That’s just a standard two year contract he signed. Same as Tom Brown.

Not sure there are many first rounders these days that don’t get an extension in the AFL after their initial contract?

At the moment he has no exposed form at the level. And hasn’t been good enough at the lower level to get a game in the seniors.
He had an interrupted season, his form was solid after recovering from a foot injury. He's not a grunt inside mid, more a replacement for Cerra & Mundy. Can't find the video anymore but he did kick an 85 metre goal for Peel in his 25 disposal breakout game, he'll be fine in the long run.