2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
If a side doesnt nominate or take a kid out of an academy,

Dont mean theyre no good.

There can be a plethora of reasons; no list room, list profile needs, no picks, no picks where theyre rated, they want to give the kid the best chance to be drafted, the club has *smile* up, the club got it wrong, etc etc etc.

Noah cumberland says hi
Brisbane took Reuben William (3 games, now Werribee VFL) over Mabior Chol. Both in their Academy. Thats a textbook example of pulling the wrong rein.

Reactions: 6 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Brisbane took Reuben William (3 games, now Werribee VFL) over Mabior Chol. Both in their Academy. Thats a textbook example of pulling the wrong rein.
Boy thats a miss, I'd rather low-budget Marbs ahead of Daniher. That money could go elsewhere. And Marbs is three years younger.

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Perhaps comparing Taranto and Hopper to Hewitt etc is not the best way to view it as we are dealing with unknowns. If this had all happened a year earlier, would we prefer Taranto and Hopper or Gibcus and Sonsie (for example)?

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Some rookies also benefit immensely by moving interstate, SA is a fishbowl with every machination amplified tenfold. Being an academy player only enhances the spotlight, Keeler would have been scrutinised more than most I suspect. The other point is the fact talls are hot & cold, that means many of the negatives can linger in the memory longer than the highpoints. It's a classic case of half glass empty or half glass full. I think when you are dealing with a player who can kick 50 metres, take a hanger, scoop the ball up and fish tail through traffic it pays to focus on the positives. Keeler's body of work is more evolved than many forwards who have been selected in the first round, if he adapts to life as a professional footballer then the rewards could be immense. Adelaide have gone on record stating they don't believe Keeler can cut it as a ruck, I beg to differ & believe he has all the tools to emulate a player like Ryder.

Reactions: 1 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Some rookies also benefit immensely by moving interstate, SA is a fishbowl with every machination amplified tenfold. Being an academy player only enhances the spotlight, Keeler would have been scrutinised more than most I suspect. The other point is the fact talls are hot & cold, that means many of the negatives can linger in the memory longer than the highpoints. It's a classic case of half glass empty or half glass full. I think when you are dealing with a player who can kick 50 metres, take a hanger, scoop the ball up and fish tail through traffic it pays to focus on the positives. Keeler's body of work is more evolved than many forwards who have been selected in the first round, if he adapts to life as a professional footballer then the rewards could be immense. Adelaide have gone on record stating they don't believe Keeler can cut it as a ruck, I beg to differ & believe he has all the tools to emulate a player like Ryder.
Keeler has probably been selected to the worst possible team for his development

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Keeler has probably been selected to the worst possible team for his development
St Kilda's development of talls has been ok, Rohan Marshall has developed well enough, Ryder himself will probably be lurking in the background to provide guidance, I don't think the stumbling blocks will be wild child antics, more dealing with the non glamourous stuff like two way running, defensive pressure and putting the body on the line in the face of oncoming traffic. If he fails it will be due to a lack of physical presence which is tough to gauge with a frame which hasn't fully filled out. Tim English has taken a few seasons, I think Keeler will be in a similar boat.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
With how things panned out I’m quite happy with our draft strategy this year.

I like the look of our draft picks, and stoked we rookied Young.

There’s more misses than hits when it comes to drafting talls.

Lynch & Cameron are recent examples of the success well targeted free agents can bring to astute clubs.
Gunston, Boyd and Josh Kennedy (Judd trade) have also brought success.

I’m quite sure that we have something in the pipeline in regards to a key forward, in Blair I trust.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
With how things panned out I’m quite happy with our draft strategy this year.

I like the look of our draft picks, and stoked we rookied Young.

There’s more misses than hits when it comes to drafting talls.

Lynch & Cameron are recent examples of the success well targeted free agents can bring to astute clubs.
Gunston, Boyd and Josh Kennedy (Judd trade) have also brought success.

I’m quite sure that we have something in the pipeline in regards to a key forward, in Blair I trust.
It's been fine, I think the two strategies both have pros & cons, I guess it comes down to silverware now. I tried to address the tall forward strike rate dilemma by shifting the risk into the third round, that tipped the scales in Hewett's favour as opposed to Jefferson, I also targeted the tall I felt could legitimately become a dual position threat, my judgement was at odds with the Crows hierarchy so let's just see how that pans out.

In some other developments, Tsatas finished 4th last in the time trial, I can already see overlooking Phillipou will come back to bite. That's two big question marks now, one being the kicking depth & the other being aerobic capacity. No good being an overlap player if you can't get to enough contests & dispose of the ball effectively. My gut tells me the PRE crowd got this one right, not so much a bust but the opportunity cost could be one of those tales for the ages.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
In some other developments, Tsatas finished 4th last in the time trial,

Any idea of the time bully?

I reckon another interesting development, is the projected 1st rounders all watching the testing in tracksuits.

Managers are clearly advising them to 'be sore' as they see only downside from testing.

the marquee gala VC vs VM must have been a bruising encounter i suppose cause they wernt sore that day?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Perhaps comparing Taranto and Hopper to Hewitt etc is not the best way to view it as we are dealing with unknowns. If this had all happened a year earlier, would we prefer Taranto and Hopper or Gibcus and Sonsie (for example)?
similarly would we prefer Prestia or Scrimshaw?

We paid a decent price but we added 2 very good midfielders who alongside Prestia and Cotch/Dusty/Bolton will give us 1 of the best midfields around. there is no reason to think we wont contend for the next 4-5 years IMO.
Of course they could bomb, injuries could hit and we could sit in the middle of the ladder for the next few years, but likewise any draft picks could be misses, and our midfield could continue to struggle while we burn Prestia out with not enough support.

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Any idea of the time bully?

I reckon another interesting development, is the projected 1st rounders all watching the testing in tracksuits.

Managers are clearly advising them to 'be sore' as they see only downside from testing.

the marquee gala VC vs VM must have been a bruising encounter i suppose cause they wernt sore that day?
Not sure but over on the Bombers site there's already a few nervous Nellies. It does have the potential to be a Toumpas over Wines call. It could also lead to a few resignations if things go completely pear shaped.

• Love

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Not sure but over on the Bombers site there's already a few nervous Nellies. It does have the potential to be a Toumpas over Wines call. It could also lead to a few resignations if things go completely pear shaped.

Id say more likely the new coach phones the new game evolution exec at AFL house and organises 'retrospective trading',

For one week only

• Haha

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Mitch Szybkowski will be a train on play with Essendon.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Mitch Szybkowski will be a train on play with Essendon.
Geez, the poor bastard.
Overlooked in the draft and rookie draft and now he's gotta try n prove himself with a self centered overrated bunch of unsuccessful arse picks like Essendrugs.
Kid musta done something serious wrong to upset the big bloke in the sky somthin fearsome.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Matt Johnson in 2021 was a potential midfield addition, Hewett in 2022, future first in 2023 could also go on a gun mid. That's a starting point, need to plant a few seeds and then see who rises to the top.
May as well forget Johnson as we didn't get him, we did these deals with that front of mind. Given other Clubs (who had a pick before WCE) had others they preferred over Hewitt whose to say we wouldn't have passed on him as well? With those guys u mention we'd be relying on guys in their 3rd/4th yr to be leading our midfield into the future. Have u had a chance to check out the BF Tigercast to see what our plans are for tall fwds in the coming yrs? I am curious as to weather or not that changes your thoughts on our drafting etc.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
It's hard to see Dodoro going given he's survived this long. Long may he stay on.

Reactions: 3 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
May as well forget Johnson as we didn't get him, we did these deals with that front of mind. Given other Clubs (who had a pick before WCE) had others they preferred over Hewitt whose to say we wouldn't have passed on him as well? With those guys u mention we'd be relying on guys in their 3rd/4th yr to be leading our midfield into the future. Have u had a chance to check out the BF Tigercast to see what our plans are for tall fwds in the coming yrs? I am curious as to weather or not that changes your thoughts on our drafting etc.
If we land a gun forward in free agency then that solves plenty but bear in mind we need a strong showing next year to ensure we keep our destination club credentials, the slope can be slippery if not managed well. I think there's still plenty of work ahead, 2023 has the potential to derail if we slip out of the top 8, if that occurs then the Hopper bill comes in at a top 10 pick and Cotch, Jack & Dusty probably pull up stumps.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
If we land a gun forward in free agency then that solves plenty but bear in mind we need a strong showing next year to ensure we keep our destination club credentials, the slope can be slippery if not managed well. I think there's still plenty of work ahead, 2023 has the potential to derail if we slip out of the top 8, if that occurs then the Hopper bill comes in at a top 10 pick and Cotch, Jack & Dusty probably pull up stumps.
Even in that worse case scenario, Hopper was a top 10 pick himself so still not a disaster.