2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

As it turned out we could have taken both Erasamus and Johnson last year and taken our picks towards a Hollands plus another tall this last draft van Es? and an additional tall next.

I think the value in each post rule change draft is going to slip and slide to an even greater extent than in the past, this as a result of the ongoing impact of COVID and similar virus infection.

Just maybe the Clubs focus should and has already turned almost entirely to speed and skill and away from size, taking those who may succeed,- before those who may fill a need, but who have become more and more speculative because of age and COVID interrupted development (and resulting unknown quality)?

It seems our team took such an approach this year, certainly with our limited hand, and that it was the right way to go with a hidden gem in Young balancing things up at the end.
I supported the Gibcus selection & still believe it was the correct call, part of that assessment was the likelihood of him transitioning to the forward line, I think the flame still flickers, it may even be necessity in the coming years.

Let’s see what he does at AFL level first before being too disappointed. Obviously Richmond and other clubs including the W.A teams didn’t rate him too highly to slip that far.
My reservations with Van Rooyen still stand, he seems to have heavy legs, this is both evident with his kicking depth and ability to get airborne. You can get away with this at VFL level but I'm not so sure he'll have the same impact at AFL level. My conclusion after seeing all of Van Rooyen's goals at VFL level is that he's probably got a Tim Membrey type ability, 40 goal forward probably the ceiling, I don't think he ever wins a Coleman.

Reactions: 1 user
My reservations with Van Rooyen still stand, he seems to have heavy legs, this is both evident with his kicking depth and ability to get airborne. You can get away with this at VFL level but I'm not so sure he'll have the same impact at AFL level. My conclusion after seeing all of Van Rooyen's goals at VFL level is that he's probably got a Tim Membrey type ability, 40 goal forward probably the ceiling, I don't think he ever wins a Coleman.

Thats a very high pass mark
I was a fan of JVR and still think list wise he would have been the better choice and post jack a 40 goal foward would have been fine and our list structure would have been better. Hoping Brown lives upto expectations and we all get proven wrong

im still taking Gibcus where we did though

Reactions: 1 users
Thats a very high pass mark
I was a fan of JVR and still think list wise he would have been the better choice and post jack a 40 goal foward would have been fine and our list structure would have been better. Hoping Brown lives upto expectations and we all get proven wrong

im still taking Gibcus where we did though
It's more a comment about opportunity cost, we lost a 40 goal forward in Mabs, I don't detect a huge amount of seller's remorse in that particular instance. I also think if we lose a triple Coleman medalist the aim should be to get a replacement. Finding a 60 goal sharp shooter will be infinitely harder than finding a 40 goal player, not picking Van Rooyen won't come back to bite as I believe the open market will offer up similarly talented forwards. The challenge will be to find a 3 goal a match forward, to win a premiership we will need at least one but I daresay two will probably be the premiership template heading into the future.

Reactions: 1 users
It's more a comment about opportunity cost, we lost a 40 goal forward in Mabs, I don't detect a huge amount of seller's remorse in that particular instance. I also think if we lose a triple Coleman medalist the aim should be to get a replacement. Finding a 60 goal sharp shooter will be infinitely harder than finding a 40 goal player, not picking Van Rooyen won't come back to bite as I believe the open market will offer up similarly talented forwards. The challenge will be to find a 3 goal a match forward, to win a premiership we will need at least one but I daresay two will probably be the premiership template heading into the future.
Sorry is JVR a Chol type, low possession, 2 goal a game forward (at best so far), or a Membrey type who gets up the ground and gets a lot more involved in play?

I supported the Gibcus selection & still believe it was the correct call, part of that assessment was the likelihood of him transitioning to the forward line, I think the flame still flickers, it may even be necessity in the coming years.
Understand your position on Gibcus. Fair enough.

What about the focus issue? Your thoughts on combinations of smalls and talls seems far removed from the way the club has approached it over the last few years. I think a combination of rule change and virus impact is at the root of this changed approach and would be interested to have your thoughts on what is a justification of the Clubs position?

Sorry is JVR a Chol type, low possession, 2 goal a game forward (at best so far), or a Membrey type who gets up the ground and gets a lot more involved in play?
He's more Membrey, work at ground level solid for a player his size, he's also very capable playing in defence. High point was 22 touches which indicates excellent work rate.

Understand your position on Gibcus. Fair enough.

What about the focus issue? Your thoughts on combinations of smalls and talls seems far removed from the way the club has approached it over the last few years. I think a combination of rule change and virus impact is at the root of this changed approach and would be interested to have your thoughts on what is a justification of the Clubs position?
I think we've underplayed our hand with talls, since 2015 I think I've identified missed opportunities with Sam Taylor, Peter Ladhams, Bailey Williams and more recently Isaac Keeler & Will Verrall. These players are your bread & butter for trading & playing key forward roulette. In the case of Ladhams we could have significantly improved our draft hand in the event he was deemed a surplus requirement. Clarke has done ok with Balta, Miller & Gibcus but it's still unders compared to the Jackson era. As far as the Jackson era is concerned, I think he missed a few that I threw up but made up for that with players like Grimes & Astbury. Here's a list going back to to 2005.

Mitch Clark in 2005 (better than JON at least)
Jack in 2006 (and nearly smashed my car window like Frank when we traded pick 8)
Rance in 2007
Vickery in 2008 (although happy to have fixed that with the Bolton acquisition)
Ben Griffiths (poor pick in hindsight)
Sam Reid in 2009 (although I missed Astbury)
Darling in 2010 (at pick 6 which was fair value considering his underage year)
Membrey in 2012
Ladhams in 2015 (rookie)
Chol in 2016 (rookie)
Balta in 2017
Ben Miller 2017
Sam Taylor in 2017
Bailey Williams in 2018

** no picks in covid era

Josh Gibcus 2021
Isaac Keeler 2022
Will Verall 2022

I think you need to keep stockpiling, Jackson kept the pace up even after securing Jack & Rance, Clarke benefitted by getting a draft pick for Chol and securing Lynch as a free agent. As a strategy I'm not convinced this is sustainable given destination clubs struggle to remain in the frame for long periods. Geelong is the exception but many have capitulated like Brisbane, Hawthorn & West Coast.

I think we've underplayed our hand with talls, since 2015 I think I've identified missed opportunities with Sam Taylor, Peter Ladhams, Bailey Williams and more recently Isaac Keeler & Will Verrall. These players are your bread & butter for trading & playing key forward roulette. In the case of Ladhams we could have significantly improved our draft hand in the event he was deemed a surplus requirement. Clarke has done ok with Balta, Miller & Gibcus but it's still unders compared to the Jackson era. As far as the Jackson era is concerned, I think he missed a few that I threw up but made up for that with players like Grimes & Astbury. Here's a list going back to to 2005.

Jack in 2006 (and nearly smashed my car window like Frank when we traded pick 8)
Rance in 2007
Membrey in 2012
Ladhams in 2015 (rookie)
Chol in 2016 (rookie)
Balta in 2017
Ben Miller 2017
Sam Taylor in 2017
Bailey Williams in 2018

** no picks in covid era

Josh Gibcus 2021
Isaac Keeler 2022
Will Verall 2022

I think you need to keep stockpiling, Jackson kept the pace up even after securing Jack & Rance, Clarke benefitted by getting a draft pick for Chol and securing Lynch as a free agent. As a strategy I'm not convinced this is sustainable given destination clubs struggle to remain in the frame for long periods. Geelong is the exception but many have capitulated like Brisbane, Hawthorn & West Coast.
Darling & Taylor are the obvious misses but i think Oscar Allen was our biggest miss taking Jack Higgins at #17
Allen , Taylor & Balta would have been a dream result and set up our team beautifully for the next 10-12 years

I was also a Bailey Williams fan and still think he would have been a great get with Bytel if we had traded our pick #20 for the doggies 2 picks #32 and something cant remember what it was atm

But Williams i believe will eventually end up back in Victoria and might become an option in the future if Soldo decides to move for greener pastures

Darling & Taylor are the obvious misses but i think Oscar Allen was our biggest miss taking Jack Higgins at #17
Allen , Taylor & Balta would have been a dream result and set up our team beautifully for the next 10-12 years
West Coast more than likely take Balta.

I was also a Bailey Williams fan and still think he would have been a great get with Bytel if we had traded our pick #20 for the doggies 2 picks #32 and something cant remember what it was atm

But Williams i believe will eventually end up back in Victoria and might become an option in the future if Soldo decides to move for greener pastures
The Williams/Bytel approach would have cost a future first, as a strategy it was risky but that would have been the bill to satisfy the Doggies who were positioning for West. In the end we won the premiership & selected Dow with that pick. Being totally objective I think Bytel & Dow are probably even Stevens but the extra tall makes that trade a winner.

As for Higgins & Allen, in hindsight I take Allen but I still maintain Higgins cops a raw deal on PRE, the fact he wanted to leave was due to a lack of opportunity & I also reckon brain surgery has hampered his progress, no one can plan for something like that. Perusing his stats he's now played 37 games for the Saints & booted 57 goals, those are decent numbers, last year he polled 7 votes at the Charlie, he still influences games even as a small forward. In his draft year I think he was seen as a midfielder first & foremost, I reckon that will occur more often now he's entering his prime years.

Last edited:
The Williams/Bytel approach would have cost a future first, as a strategy it was risky but that would have been the bill to satisfy the Doggies who were positioning for West. In the end we won the premiership & selected Dow with that pick. Being totally objective I think Bytel & Dow are probably even Stevens but the extra tall makes that trade a winner.

As for Higgins & Allen, in hindsight I take Allen but I still maintain Higgins cops a raw deal on PRE, the fact he wanted to leave was due to a lack of opportunity & I also reckon brain surgery has hampered his progress, no one can plan for something like that. Perusing his stats he's now played 37 games for the Saints & booted 57 goals, those are decent numbers, last year he polled 7 votes at the Charlie, he still influences games even as a small forward. In his draft year I think he was seen as a midfielder first & foremost, I reckon that will occur more often now he's entering his prime years.
Agree on Higgins, he ain't a bust. Wrong place, wrong time. But I don't think he's got much improvement left. Amazing effort for him to get back to playing footy. Did we use that pick on Tom Brown?

Rance in 2007
Membrey in 2012
Ladhams in 2015 (rookie)
Chol in 2016 (rookie)
Balta in 2017
Ben Miller 2017
Sam Taylor in 2017
Bailey Williams in 2018

** no picks in covid era

Josh Gibcus 2021
Isaac Keeler 2022
Will Verall 2022

I am not sure I have clearly explained why I think the club now takes a different approach (see posts 3418 and 3426),
but let me just quote my favourite modern poet,

Come senator’s and congressman throughout the land and don’t criticise what you can’t…..
…..
The times they are a changing.

Last edited:
Agree on Higgins, he ain't a bust. Wrong place, wrong time. But I don't think he's got much improvement left. Amazing effort for him to get back to playing footy. Did we use that pick on Tom Brown?
It was a pick swap of 21 for pick 17 & we received a future second which was used on one of Sonsie/Banks/Clarke, not sure which one exactly but given they were in a block I'd probably say Judson Clarke.

Bully as a junior did Gibcus play much forward or just sparingly ?.
I believe he played forward prior to NAB league, I also remember Richmond stating he had potential in that area, that was enough for me to give him the dual position tick, an element of shooting blind but given he possesses such an outstanding vertical leap I felt it was a risk worth taking. He did kick an outstanding goal from the boundary last year, I think he's got decent range & won't be limited when kicking from outside the arc.

It was a pick swap of 21 for pick 17 & we received a future second which was used on one of Sonsie/Banks/Clarke, not sure which one exactly but given they were in a block I'd probably say Judson Clarke.
And we swapped 17 to Geelong in 2020 for their 2021 first, which we used on Brown.

Reactions: 2 users